Story Book

"A sea setting us upon the ice has brought us close to danger."

“Remember to pick up your poppies, and take part in the local ceremonies!”

The end of the day announcements rang through the classrooms full of teenagers who couldn't wait for their two days off. And to them this two day vacation would start seconds after the bell went, although to the more rowdy ones it seemed like hours ago.

I sighed as I watched everyone chatter about the party at the dock. No one even glanced my way, there was a time when I would take part in planning that party. Now it seemed to be unattainable but that didn't matter I doubted my return to the social spot light would be welcomed with open arms.

I had after ignored all their attempts, shut all them out and also shut myself down. I didn't blame them. To be truthful I had no intention of ever returning to being friends with them. After my time apart I found that most of them where rather rude and inconsiderate to the world that surrounded them.

My break from them was like a breath of fresh air. The only two things I missed from back then where my mother and Ashley.

“Movie night at your house?” Noah inquired as we walked out the door of the school. Students scattered everywhere, racing to catch the bus and their drives. I could already hear the mumbles from my slow movements.

“I'm not watching chain saw massacre again.” Was my only statement as we both went out separate ways, me to my bus and Noah to his bike.

My father's eyes bored into me. I stared back at him waiting for the reality of my age to hit him.

“I'm riding up with Tim. So the cars going to be here if you need anything you can get it.” Dad said slowly.

We where standing in front of the door, dad's bags where packed full of clothes, fishing equipment and bullets. Dad and Timothy Wilder went on a male outing every year the day before Remembrance day the 10th. I have no school on both days the tenth and eleventh. The perfect time for an outing and the perfect way to thank the soldiers.

By fishing.

“Dad I'll be fine, go on Tim is waiting.” I urged trying to open up the door.

He swatted my hand away, “You broke your leg, now isn't the best time.”

As he said this he dropped his bags onto the floor and turned to open the door himself to tell Tim the news. His excuse wasn't true, it was actually because I had never been the best driver beforehand. And now I had a cast on one of my legs. Not that it is impossible to drive, you only drive with one foot anyway at least if you have an automatic.

It just might be impossible for me, in my gimped state.

“Dad I'll be fine, I have crutches besides I'm pretty much used to being one legged now.” I spoke quickly smiling at him. “Besides its tradition.”

My father sighed heavily and then scooped up his bags opening the door he let in the light chill of the wind, “If anything happens call Noah.”

I frowned at his parting words. Cause Noah is such a responsible being.

“Noah! Remember the popcorn!” I shouted from my place on the couch, smiling as I heard his annoyed grunt.

“You've taken this broken leg stuff directly to your head.” Noah stated sourly shoving the bowl of popcorn at me.

I just smiled at him, “Thank you Noah.”

“Now is there anything else your highness? Or can I start the movie?” Noah inquired his hands already removing Transformers from its case.

I stared down at my popcorn not pleased, “Noah you forgot to put on vinegar.”

I waited for the snippy comment but all I got was Noah graving the bowl roughly. Popcorn spilled over the edge and landed on my lap. I laughed as I picked up a piece and popped it into my mouth loving the vinegar tinge to it.

I laughed even more hearing Noah's exclamation from the kitchen, “Hey!”

“Who forgets to buy milk?”

I was talking to myself agitated as I tried to steer my father's car around the turns and bends of the road. I frowned at the road where certain parts of the black asphalt looked slicker, dangerous. I was regretting my choice more and more to venture out of the house.

“I'll only go to the corner store.”

I told myself smiling as I got the hang of my fathers small car. Soon the feel of nervousness escaped from my mind. It only took seconds to pick up the milk and then drive back to my street. When I turned in I drove slower, cautious to what I had saw when I had first left my driveway.

I picked up speed soon. I was still under the speed limit but had more confidence. I was a great driver, and I planned to inform my father of this. I smiled at the thought drifting off to think of how the conversation would go.

I passed the church and got ready to go around the left turn where my house would be found also on the left and Ashley's on the right. I see my driveway and I smile larger, I'm alive, no harm done. Everyone on the street still has all body parts attached.

When I come fully around the turn I see a small rabbit sitting directly in my path I swear loudly and without thinking edge myself to the other side of the road. Hoping to go into the other lane around the rabbit and then return.

I hit the black ice faster because of my picking up speed. The rabbit scatters around the road as my car screeches. I turn the wheel frantically trying to straighten out the car. It seems to make matters only worse as my back tires hit the same patch. A mile long list of swear words escape my mouth as my body seizins up from pure fear.

When I finally get the screeching of the wheels to stop and my car is going in one direction, I come face to face with another disaster. The tree that is in Ashley's front yard. I turn trying to swerve, my foot pushed down on the brake but I only get the car to turn so that my side of the car is going to hit the tree directly.

I scream before I feel the impact of tree shuddering like a tornado through the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've had this written for awhile, don't ask why I didn't post it sooner.....