Green Days: American Idiot, the Full Story

Holiday.

PART 3: HOLIDAY

After driving for what felt like hours, Jesus finally made it to Oakland. It is ironic, he arrived on April Fool's day. Was it a joke? Was his decision a joke? Maybe he was a fool for leaving town. Maybe this is just what he needed. He continued to drive his beat up car down the strip. He passed seedy motel after seedy motel. He heard a loud crack of thunder. It started to storm down raining, not normal rain but catastrophic, Armageddon flame kind of rain. He pulled into an unfamiliar bar and walked in. His hair was dripping wet as he pulled off his hoodie and sat down on a barstool. He was drained of all his energy, all he wanted to do was sleep. Where will he stay? This thought discouraged him as he slumped down lower in his chair and asked for a beer.

"Hello stranger, you look sad. Something got ya down? Name's Tunny," said the man seated beside him.

He was a small man, about five foot six. He had died, red hair that was spiked but could not withstand the rain so it had begun to fall. He seemed nice as he held out his hand to be shaken. Jesus shook it gladly.

"Yeah, I just decided to head out on my own, see the world."

"Ah, you wanna be your own man. See the sights, grab life by the balls."

"Yeah, something like that."

"Delusions of grandeur my friend. I had those dreams once. I learned better. You see those kids on the news? They wanted to see the world, make a mark, be important. Now, thousands are dying, without names, without care. It's such a shame."

"What do you mean? I'm not going to join the army."

"Yes, but you have the same motive as those boys, don't you?"

"Yeah, I... I guess you're right."

"Look kid, you seem like a logical guy. You need a place to crash?"

"Yeah, all I got is my car."

"You can stay with me or as long as you need."

"Thanks, I appreciate it."

"Now, time for us to have some fun."

The man had a point. Jesus did want to make an impact on the world but most rarely get to see that dream turn into reality. Jesus was no Malcolm X. He had done a lot of bad things in his past. Redemption is something that Jesus never fully agreed with. Just relocating to another city would not change him.

Jesus spent the next few hours getting acquainted with Tunny. They hit every bar on the strip. Shot after shot. Beer after beer. Margarita after margarita. It was enough booze to make an Irishman say whoa, time to throw in the towel.

"Ya know what? I'm glad I met ya, Tunny," slurred Jesus.

"I'm glad I met you too, kid."

"Fuck the world, it sure knows how to fuck me."

"That's the spirit, kid. At least you ain't like those army greens. Fighting for this country my ass."

"Yeah, who wants to fight for something you don't even believe in?"

"Enough people to start a war."

"Yup."

"You heard about them protesters up in D. C.?"

"No, what about'em?"

"Well, one of them found out that it's all a lie, man."

"What?"

"The President is with them fucking Iraqi's."

"No, that's not possible."

"No, it's true. When he was governing Texas he even did a few oil trades with Bin Laden."

"Fucking bastard."

"Yeah. Operation Iraqi Liberation, my ass. Ya know it's acronym is O. I. L.?"

"Whoa. Fucking crazy."

"Yeah."

"I'd never fight in that damn war. It's a blood bath. It's as if them soldiers are blinded by the fucking flag itself, wrapped around them like a gag. Might as well kill themselves. War is suicide."

"Bush is a fucking Nazi."

"I'll drink to that."

"Kid, right now, you'll drink to anything."

"But you're right. Every word you say is right."

"Why thank you for that."

After about eight shots of Smirnoff and three Bloody Mary's, Jesus passed out. Now, if he was back home in Rodeo one of his friends would have found him and dragged him back to his house until he woke up with a horrible hangover the next morning. He was not home, he was in the big city now. His new friend Tunny left him at the bar to go home to his comfortable bed. When Jesus wakes up he will start to realize that he is by himself. He is alone.