Status: hiatus

A Dragon's True Nature

Little White Lies

*I'm going hunting.* Darigan's voice drifts back to Kanashii.

*Very well.* Kanashii says with a relieved sigh that Darigan hadn't left because he didn't like one of the answers she had given him. She sighs, and walks over to their pile of stuff, and grabs the two swords. She draws them out of their sheeths, and sits down, intent on polishing them.

"The great swords Andlat and Rauthr. What interesting names my father gave to the two of you." Kanashii says as a fond smile comes over her face.

"Interesting indeed." A voice says from somewhere near Kanashii. She jumps to her feet, holding both swords at the ready.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Kanashii demands, glaring at the man standing on the far side of the clearing. The elf completely ignores her questions as he walks toward her.

"That is no way to hold a sword." The elf says with displeasure in his voice as he corrects Kanashii's hand position on the swords before taking a satisfied step backward. "There, you see!" He says with a smile.

"What is your name?" Kanashii asks, looking at the elf.

"Vanir. Yours?" The other elf asks, looking at her expectantly.

"Kanashii." Kanashii says simply as she bows at the waist in one fluid motion.

"I see you are an elf. Though I know not where from." The elf says, looking like he's trying to remember just where he might have met her from.

"I have been traveling for many a decade." Kanashii says, quickly making up a reason.

"In that case, do you wish to accompany me to the city?" The other elf says motioning fluidly toward the direction of the sunset.

"Indeed." Kanashii says, nodding her head. He walks up to the pile, and straps the sheeths of the twin swords onto her shoulders in a cross pattern before hoisting the pack over them. She retrieves her swords, and swiftly slides them into their sheeths. "Lead on." Kanashii says motioning for the elf to go first. Vanir nods, and the two of them walk toward the north.

When Darigan gets back, he sniffs the ground before growling.

*Where are you, Kanashii?* Darigan questions with a note of hysterics in his voice.

*I needed to talk to someone, so I went to a nearby town.* Kanashii says simply.

*And, where are you?* Darigan demands, starting to grow impatient.

*North of where you are.* Kanashii says after a moment.

*And what, pray tell, possessed you to wander off by yourself?* Darigan questions, sounding like he's about to rip something to pieces.

*I am not alone!* Kanashii shouts, disgusted that he would even think that.

*And who is it that is with you?* Darigan questions, with a hint of irritation in his voice.

*What does it matter? We're a fair distance away from the Empire.* Kanashii says, irritation evident in her voice.

*Tell me!* Darigan shouts, growling loudly.

*Fine. An elf named Vanir. To the tell the honest truth....he seems kind of familiar, but I can't place where I've seen him before.* Kanashii says, sounding confused. Silence stretches out between them as Darigan watches through Kanashii's eyes what had happened.

*I expect you to be back by nightfall.* Darigan says after a few hours.

*I doubt I'll be back that soon.* Kanashii says with a sigh.

*And why not?* Darigan demands.

*Vanir is taking me to see the queen later today.* Kanashii says with a worried smile.

*You're traveling to Ellesmera?!* Darigan demands, sounding taken aback.

*Of course not! I mean the queen of Nadinel! One of the great queen's ambassadors.* Kanashii says, the strange note returning to her voice from when she was talking about the elves during his interrogation.

*And can I ask what you're going to say when she asks where you've been for the last years of you're life?* Darigan questions in a serious voice.

*I'll just tell her the same thing I told Vanir.* Kanashii says like it's no big deal.

*And, what, may I ask, did you tell this young elven friend of yours?* Darigan questions in a truly puzzled voice.

*That I've been traveling most of my life.* Kanashii says with a snicker.
♠ ♠ ♠
...