Sequel: Sweet Naivety

You're a Cute Type of Ignorant

Grave Digger

We pulled up to a cemetery. I'm not gonna lie, these things freak me out. I'm so superstitious, and I believe in ghosts. If it made Amber happy though, anything. She grabbed my hand and led me through the stones. This was so creepy, but I couldn't help but notice that Amber was completely un-fazed. It's almost like she was used to this, like it was her second home.

The walk was quiet, and when we got to our destination, she let go of my hand and sat down on the grass next to a head stone that read " Denny Longrass, Devoted Son, Father, and Husband. 1960--2005"

I sat down next to her. "Meet my dad," She smiled at me, then looked back to the tombstone.

"Her dad died... and just two years ago. "How'd he die?"

"A car crash. We were on our way home from a concert. We were laughing and having such a good time, and then a drunk driver smashed into us."

I grabbed her hand. "Is he in jail?"

"Yeah. 20-25 years sentence. He couldn't look me in the eyes at the trial."

"I could imagine."

"He probably thought he would see what I saw. The lights, my dad looking at me and screaming my name. The way, even when he was holding on for his life, he still held my hand even though I was fine, and wouldn't stop asking if I was okay."

"I'm sorry this had to happen to you Amber," I didn't know what else to say. I just took her head and let her lay a little on my shoulder while I stroked her hair.

"I'm not bitter. We had a great relationship. God took him because he was an angel on earth. It just sucks that I'm not gonna see him for so long..."

"Just close your eyes. You'll see him." I said, kissing her forehead.