I know you did it

Chapter Three

I stared at Drake in disbelief. Is he serious? It all makes sense.

“I think,” I started to say. “I think I knew that all along. But was afraid to admit it.”

“Well what are you going to do about it?”

“I’m gonna find the sorry bastard who killed my mother.” I said getting up.

Drake smirked and grabbed my waist while I was walking away. “That was hot.”

“This is not the time.” I said totally serious. He understood and let go of me just grabbing my hand.

We were back at the house looking through what was still left of my mom.

“Did your mom have any enemies?” Drake asked as we dug through her huge closet.

“No.”

“What about your dad? Does he have any issues with her?”

“Of course not. They may be divorced but they still love each other.”

My dad left a couple years ago because he’s in the army. My mom couldn’t handle not knowing where he was all the time. He was in the branch where if he got a call he had to leave and couldn’t tell us when he’d be back or where he was going. So after a lot of tears two signatures and a judge saying it was official my mom and I got out of the army life.

“Well, she said she was taking medicine go find her purse.” Drake suggested.

I ran to my room to a box in my closet where I kept her most valuables. Nate didn’t argue when I took them from him. She was my mom anyways.

I got her purse and when I opened it so many different prescription pills fell out.

“Drake!” I yelled.

“Did you find something?”

“I didn’t realize she was so sick.” I said turning the bottles. “What do they mean?” I asked.

“I have absolutely no clue. My dad would know though.” He got up to go down stairs.

“No wait. We can’t tell him what we’re up to.”

“Why not? Shouldn’t he have a say in this.”

“No…not yet. He will probably think we are crazy. We can just ask him randomly what someone would do with…” I turned one of the bottles over. “With Meclizine?”

The door slammed from down stairs signaling Nate was home.

Drake looked at his watch and shook his head.

“What?” I asked.

“It’s nine o’clock. We’ve been at this for hours.” He said ending with a short laugh.

“Dang. Nate is home late too.”

Drake shrugged.

“Honey, listen to me. You’re on to something.”

“Mom? Oh my gosh I’ve missed you so much. Please stay.”

“No, I can’t.” Then she started drifting away towards the bright light.

“Mom! No! I need you!” I screamed after her holding out my hand.

“Don’t trust him.” She said.

I sprung out of my bed with my hair sticking to my face from the sweat.

I opened my door slowly to get a drink of water from the kitchen. While I walked down the stairs the light was on in Nate’s office with his door cracked open.

I decided to go talk to him. See if he’s doing okay.

“Nate?” I asked knocking on the door slightly.

I heard papers shuffling then a drawer shut.

“Come in.” He said.

I came in and sat on the chair across from his desk. I held my knees close to my chest.

“Josie? You know it’s really late.” He said shocked.

“I know.” I mumbled. “I had a bad dream.”

“Oh.” He said awkwardly. Nate and I never really talked that much. I should have just gone to Drakes room. He would understand. I started to get up but Nate stopped me.

“No wait, since you’re here. I need to talk to you.”

“Okay?” I said sitting slowly back down.

“Well, you know how I’m not your biological father.”

Duh. I thought to myself.

“Well, we need to decide what’s going to happen…with you I mean. Since you’re mother is gone.”

“Oh.” Was all I could say.

“I haven’t been able to get a hold of your father. And I know your grandparents have passed away. And frankly your mom was an only child.”

I nodded. “So, I’m guessing you’re trying to get rid of me?” I said. I get it. He wants to move on with his life.

“No, no Josie it’s not like that. I just guessed you would want to get away from us. And be with your true family.”

“I don’t have any more family.” I said looking at the floor. It’s not completely true. I mean I still have my dad but who knows where he really is.

“You are more than welcomed to stay with us.” Nate said.

I didn’t like how he was putting that. I mean he moved into mine and my mom’s house. This isn’t his house. It’s mine actually.

“Thanks.” I said kind of bitterly while getting up.

My alarm kept going off and I finally grabbed it and threw it across the room. Once I heard it shatter against the wall I closed my eyes and went back into a deep sleep.

It took a few more minutes for me to be fully awake.

The door opened and I kept my eyes close thinking it was Drake. But if it was Drake he would climb in bed with me or try and wake me up. But whoever this was went into my bathroom. I heard him open my medicine cabinet and take a few bottles out then put them back. That’s weird. Maybe Landon was looking for some Midol. I silently laughed at my joke.

Then the mystery person left.