Dreams.

Chapter Four

I stared at her in awe. She had just turned to dust in front of me, and now she was back, and talking to me. It just wasn't plausible. Her soft hands were clasped in mine and her head was under my chin.

"I'm never going to leave you, you know that." I told her, planting a soft kiss on her hair. She looked up at me, her purple eyes were glassy again.

"I'm scared to trust..." Her English still wasn't very good, but I knew she was trying.

"I know, I know. But I will never harm you, and I will never let anything harm you. I promise." She nodded and I kissed her lips gently. When I pulled away a smile finally spread across her face, and two fangs came into my view. I felt my eyes widen and I stepped back some as she blushed and set her lips in a straight line.

"You're... You a... A..." I was at a loss of words.

"Vampire." She murmured, looking down. "Jed and I do share heritage, but I am farther back. Our kid uh... Evolved over generations. Elena knows."

I was still stunned. It was frightening, but at the same time I liked it. I moved my hands to rest on her hips and smiled down at her. Her red hair covered her right eye when she shook her head. She had thin, brown eyebrows and a small button nose. There were dimple to the left and right of her pink, crescent shaped smile, but I didn't get to see them much. She wasn't very tan, but then again she wasn't exactly pale. I could always tell when she was in deep thought; her eyes looked lifeless, her lips formed a straight line and she focused on one object. Sometimes her eyes would fill with tears. I would never as why because I was afraid of opening the wounds more than she had.

All of these things made me love her.


*

My eyes snapped open and I sat up, frantically looking about the room. Jed was sound asleep in the floor, Emma was on his bed reading, and it was dark. It had to be after midnight. I slipped my glasses onto my face and swung me legs over the side of the bed, watching Emma. I was waiting to see if she would notice me. Finally, she looked towards me and a soft smile spread across her face. She set down her book and tip-toed toward me, then hugged me tightly and say beside me.

"How do you feel?" She asked, looking at my head.

"I'm fine, I promise." I answered, patting her hand. "What time is it?"

"Two. I was just reading for an outside reading assignment. I figured I would get a head start on it."

"Oh, nice." Was all I could really say. I knew Emma liked me, but to me she was just a close friend. Her hands were in her lap and she was twiddling her thumbs. "Are you all right?"

She looked up with a fake smile on her face. "Huh? Oh, yeah. Perfectly fine."

"You're a dirty liar." I accused, grinning at her. She giggled and shrugged, then went back to watch her twiddling thumbs.

"I actually wanted to uh... To ask you something." She looked up and I raised one of my eyebrows "Would... Will you go to the party with me on Saturday? Like, as a date?"

I felt my face go hot and head head snapped back down. Even in the dark I could tell she was blushing. Like I said, I didn't like her that way, but I couldn't stand to turn her down. I took her hand in mine and lifted her chin with my free hand. After a moment, her eyes met mine.

"Of course I will." I mumbled, hugging her. She laid her head against my shoulder.

"Thank you, Tobey."

I didn't see anything wrong with hugging her. I didn't mind her laying her head on my shoulder. In a way, I kind of enjoyed it. Soon, though her breathing became slow and light, and I knew she was asleep. I held her there for a little bit, then stood and carried her to Jed's bed. I was growing tired, and I knew if we fell asleep on the same bed and Jed saw, I'd be killed. I laid her down, covered her up and climbed back into my own bed. I pulled my glasses off and put them on the nightstand, then closed my eyes and let sleep take over.