Status: Active

Careful

Sweet Surrender

Image

I wrung my hands in my lap while silently staring at the daunting front door of the Black house from my car. I really couldn't say how long I had been sitting outside. I could not seem to muster up the courage to leave the false comfort of my car and walk up the porch steps to face Jacob since the less than amicable discussion on my part we had about Ephraim at the Diner earlier this week.

I knew from my discussion with Emily last night that I would find him here. She had told me he would be home taking the day off from Sam's newly implemented and rigorous patrolling schedule. My reluctance was less about my pride and stemmed from the sheer terror I felt at the possibility of my outreach to him being rejected.

All his actions thus far only proved that rejection on his part would be the least likely outcome but there was nothing I could do to quell the anxiety I was feeling every time I attempted to even get out of my vehicle.

In fact, I was so wrapped up in the negative thoughts swirling around in my brain that I did not even notice the very source of my fears standing at my car window until he tapped lightly on the glass.

I fumbled for the button the roll down the window only to realize the car was off. A flush of embarrassment rushed up my neck and flooded my cheeks with heat as I opened the car door instead.

He took a couple steps back to allow me the space I needed to make my exit from the car. His hands were tucked into the front pockets of his worn jeans, the newly formed and extremely distracting muscles in his arms flexing in his own nervous stance.

"Hi." It was all I could manage as I tucked a fallen strand of hair behind my ear before crossing my arms in front of me.

His eyes brightened just a bit at the greeting before his mouth turned up in an appreciative but reserved grin.

"Hi." He breathed back in what sounded like relief.

Silence filled the next few seconds before I remembered my peace offering.

"I almost forgot, I brought you and Billy some muffins I made this morning." I explained as I pulled the container of baked goods from the back seat. "They are coffee cake." I added as I passed them over to Jake timidly.

"Thanks U, what a treat." His smile was warm as he accepted the still warm container.

"More like my own version of a white flag." I admitted worrying over my lip.

"A well thought out one at that. I could never turn down your coffee cake muffins." I blushed at the praise before he continued. "And what should I take this white flag to mean?" he asked boldly.

"My surrender." I answered, to my own surprise, without a hint of hesitation.

His eyebrows shot up at the candid reply, but his gaze never wavered from my own.

"I haven't been fair to you about what happened with E." I started slowly. "I certainly do not blame you for what happened to him, so it's time I stop acting like I do. Plus, I have heard recently that it helps to have a friend to talk to about all of this. I figure it's time I stop punishing myself and lean on one of the only people I can do that with." I spoke eagerly, afraid if I didn't get the words out now I never would.

His smile was so soft and genuine. His eyes were bright with appreciation and that something I was still having trouble placing.

"Euphoria, you didn't have to go to the trouble of all of that, I-" He started but I quickly cut him off.

"I wanted to Jacob. I am sorry about the Diner. I was out of line and-"

"You were by no means out of line. You are entitled to your feelings, and I will always respect you if you ever feel like you need space." He reassured me as he took a step closer narrowing the distance between us.

I cannot explain the pull of gravity I felt at the decreased distance between the two of us. It was heady, overwhelming and like a breath of fresh air at the same time. It filled me with equal parts terror and excitement.

"So how is Quil doing?" I asked after clearing my voice hoping it would also help to clear my suddenly distracted string of thoughts.

"He is struggling with it. We all do at first of course, but he is adjusting." I nodded in agreement as a brief silence settled between the two of us.

Although he said I had nothing to apologize for, Jacob's description of Quil's feelings about the transition really made me understand that everything Emily was saying last night was true. A fresh wave of regret washed over me.

"I guess I should have asked this sooner, but how are you doing Jake?"

He paused, taking his time to really decide the best way to express what he had been going through after Ephraim's transition.

"Probably could be doing better if I'm being honest. Patrolling keeps me exhausted and the rest of the time I have, I've been worrying about you or worrying that what happened to your brother will happen to someone else." He confessed. "Euphoria, I'm so sorry. It should never have happened. I should have-"

"Jacob this is not your fault. Please don't carry the weight of all of that on top of everything else." I immediately reached for his free hand clutching his palm in my own and giving him a reassuring squeeze hoping my eyes conveyed how genuine I was about that.

He seemed to relax into the gesture and gave a gentle squeeze back in appreciation.

"Do you want to come in?" He offered with a tilt of his head in the direction of his porch.

"Sure." I agreed. Jake kept his loose grip on my hand. The feeling of his warm hand pressed into the palm of my own made my heart race and gave me comfort at the same time.

We climbed the stairs of the porch and made our way into the cozy living room of the Black household. Jake dropped my hand to make the short trek into the kitchen to drop off the muffins on the counter, much to my own dismay. A blush creeping up my throat to my cheeks at the thought.

"So, I didn't really have any plans today other than to get some rest, but I would like to spend some time with you if you're up to it. Is there anything you had in mind for today?" Jake asked, stepping back into the living room.

"Oh, I wouldn't want to intrude at all. I can let you get some rest Jake." I answered earnestly.

"Please don't go." His tone as serious as his gaze piercing straight through to my soul.

"Okay." I was not sure when my mouth decided that for my brain, but I was always answering him these days without thinking first.

"We can just stay here." I suggested. "I'm always up for a movie."

The smile that broke out across his face was infectious. The kind you know is genuine because you can see the sincerity in his warm brown eyes.

We settled onto the couch comfortably and picked a movie to watch. Jake offered me the nearest throw blanket which I quickly accepted. I could feel the warmth of him pressed into my side which made me feel as equally high strung as it did to make me feel relaxed.

A few minutes into the movie, Jake’s arm stretched casually to rest behind me on the back of the couch and I felt another blush creeping up. I quickly stole a glimpse at him, and he seemed completely unfazed and comfortable. I could not explain how just seeing him in that state bled into me relaxing me further into his side. I didn’t miss the slight grin that swept across his face as I did so though.

I really couldn't say if I surrendered to my own exhaustion first or if it was Jake, but before I knew it, we were both asleep. Jake, with his arm wrapped around my shoulders and myself stretched out on the remaining free space on the couch, pressed securely into his side. It felt safe, like all was right in the world even though it was the complete opposite.

----------

Billy

I was surprised to see Euphoria's car parked outside upon my return from my evening with Chief Swan, but even more surprised to see both U and Jake pressed together on the couch. Both were in a deep sleep, the TV on but long forgotten. I rolled myself to the console making quick work of turning the TV off. I smiled lightly as Jake shifted at the minor disturbance pulling Euphoria closer to his chest but not waking. I decided it felt wrong to wake them as they rested knowing how exhausted they both looked. I flipped the lights off in the living room and rolled my way into the kitchen, snagging a muffin from the counter and heading to my own room to turn in for the night making a mental note to ring Keanu's to let him and Ellie know U would be staying over.