Rumor Has It

Chapter Twenty-Three

“This has to do with that episode on the plane?” Alberta asked, wearing a blank expression on her face.

I had just finished telling her my theory about the wards, stakes, ghosts and Strigoi. I told her about summoning Mason and where he said the Strigoi were hiding while the sun was out. Dimitri had given me an hour’s worth of time to explain everything to Alberta.

I scoffed at her comment. “Thanks for making me sound insane.”

Alberta rolled her eyes offhandedly. I took that as her way of telling me it wasn’t the time for sarcasm. Of course I knew that, but sarcasm is practically my native language.

“Say this is where the Strigoi are, how are we going to go about rescuing those who are being held captive? We may have even more casualties when it’s all said and done with. Is a rescue mission worth it?”

And to think…Alberta was starting to grow on me, and then she makes a comment like that. I squeezed Dimitri’s hand that I’d been holding for who knows how long. “We know where they are. And they aren’t expecting us, I’m sure. We have the element of surprise on our side for a matter of minutes. That can really limit the number of…deaths in the end.” I took a deep breath. “The captives deserve another chance too! They risked their lives and look what happens. They’re a possible snack for those bastards! No one deserves that…or the alternative! No one!”

I was probably borderline hysterical and incoherent, but I felt what little control I had left slipping away and some dark emotions that weren’t wholly my own taking over. Inadvertently imagining Viktoria Belikov with pale skin and red eyes didn’t help either. The Strigoi attributes didn’t suit anyone, but on a Belikov, the thought was horrible…And that’s what led my mind to conjuring an image of Dimitri as Strigoi. That…

That was unbearable.

I was a strong person by nature, physically and emotionally. However, with everything that’s happened in recent months, Dimitri had become my rock and also made me stronger along the way. If something were to happen to Dimitri, I don’t know what I’d do. Who would I turn to?

I felt a large, warm hand slowly rubbing circles in my back. The gesture calmed me down a little, but my thoughts were still uncomfortable and sporadic. I wouldn’t be at ease until this rescue mission was over and I knew Dimitri was alive and well.

“…Hathaway! How do you suppose we pull this off? Even with Princess Dragomir healing the wounded, our numbers have still depleted significantly. We can’t just be ready to attack before sunset. We need to devise a plan and prevent exhaustion!”

I groaned in frustration and took a step forward, away from Dimitri’s attempt at comforting me. “There will be more Strigoi if we don’t do anything! If we do this, there will either be the same amount or less! That’s part of our job, right? Not only to protect Moroi but also to free whoever will face or is facing fate as a Strigoi?” I tightly closed my eyes to avoid seeing the reaction to my next suggestion. “There are Moroi willing to fight. If we allow that, we wouldn’t be at a disadvantage…as long as someone is there to shield them from harm’s way.”

I was expecting an outcry and more rejection. Only I heard nothing. Silence. I slowly opened my eyes to see Alberta staring intently at me as if she were deciphering the possibilities of allowing Moroi to go near the line of fire.

After a few minutes, she sighed. “I’ll mention your suggestions when the meeting is called to order. I’m not promising we’ll do either, but they will be in debate.” She eyed me pointedly. “After Lord Ozera’s involvement with the attack on campus is discussed.”

“Guardian Petrov—” Dimitri began, but Alberta shook her head.

“No, I understand perfectly why he did what he did.” She smiled a small smile. “I managed to speak with him about an hour ago. He told me everything, Rose. You’re not in trouble, don’t worry.”

“That’s a first,” I muttered out of impulse.

She chose to ignore my comment, but she continued to address me, her face softening into a look of concern. “Rose, I’m not going to lie to you. You look absolutely exhausted.”

I shrugged. “It’s not that big of a deal.”

“It is. Not that everyone hasn’t dealt with a lot in the past several days, but you’ve seen and been through a lot more than most. Maybe you should get some rest now? I’m sure Dimitri would be able to fill you in on what happens.”

“What about my opinion?” I asked, outraged.

“Dimitri and I both know your opinions and ideas. You may not be present, but your voice will be heard. You don’t have to worry about that.”

“But—”

“Rose, she’s right. You need rest before—if—we take action,” Dimitri stated, taking hold of my hand. “If something’s covered in the meeting that we haven’t mentioned already, I know how you think. Now stop being stubborn and get some rest.”

“I can do without sleep. Really, let me—”

“Roza,” he chastised.

I glared up at him, only to be greeted with an almost pleading look. It wasn’t fair that he could be so irresistible. But I certainly wasn’t going to give in. I needed to physically take part in the meeting, and as much as I trusted both Dimitri and Alberta, I wanted to be there to witness the reactions to my idea. I shook my head at the both of them. “No, I want to be here when everyone is told. Let me stay!”

Dimitri and Alberta exchanged glances just before Dimitri took hold of my hand once more and guided me to the back of the room. I opened my mouth to protest, but there was no need to. Instead of guiding me out of the room as I originally thought he would, Dimitri led me to a secluded corner in the back row of seats.

We sat there in silence. Rummaging through the possibilities. Will both of us make it out alive? Is Viktoria alive? What would I do if something happened to him? What if something happened to me? I let out a sigh of frustration. I was being paranoid. Dimitri was one of the best guardians around; of course he would survive a rescue mission. He’d trained me. And Viktoria was just as, if not even more, stubborn than he was; she’d survive. I shouldn’t have been worrying. I squeezed his hand to reassure myself. He was still there, and he there will be after this was all said and done with. I needn’t any worries.

A few more minutes passed when Alberta made her way to the front of the room. Everyone fell silent rather quickly. Dimitri let go of my hand, but he didn’t break contact with me; his hand rested on my knee. I found myself placing my hand on his. It was as if breaking any contact would lead to losing him.

“St. Vladimir’s Academy has been attacked,” Alberta began. “There have been several casualties for us. We’ve lost students, teachers, and guardians alike…And then we have those who have gone missing—“at this Dimitri tensed “—and it’s something that deserves most of our attention, but first—”

“The Ozera boy’s involvement needs to be discussed!” someone suddenly shouted.

“Which is what we were about to cover,” Alberta all but snapped in reply. No wonder I liked her. “Christian Ozera being out during battle is a severe situation, but he had his reasons. That I’m sure about.”

“What could have possibly been his reasoning? He could have been killed or even turned. He didn’t need to be out there!” At least he wasn’t being viewed as a disgraced Moroi because of his parents’ decision for once. Wow, great time to think that, Rose.

I managed to keep some control, but I really couldn’t say the same for Dimitri. “Lord Ozera had multiple reasons for staying out, as Guardian Petrov stated. He’s not the type to just sit on the sidelines when he can do something about it.”

“In fact,” I quickly added in fear that Dimitri would become a target, “I tried to get Christian to go back to the safety of the chapel, but he obviously refused. But I did happen to keep a close eye on him. As much as I didn’t like that he was out fighting, he was extremely helpful. I wouldn’t be here right now if it weren’t for his help, nor would a few others.”

“You’re a mere child,” the guardian retorted. “You may think the world of yourself for already having two molnija marks, but you clearly didn’t have the mental capacity to take on an unknown number of Strigoi just now. It would have been the wisest choice for you, all novices, and Moroi students to stay within the chapel and left the fighting to those who are experienced. Or you could have at least physically taken him back to the chapel to ensure his safety. And you, of all the people in here, should know that royals are the target of the Strigoi, especially the dying names like Ozera or Dragomir.”

How low could this guy get? I tried to stand, but Dimitri was muttering nothings and holding me down. I relied on scowling. “Christian would have left the chapel a second time whether or not I physically escorted him there. He’s too stubborn.”

“It was petty and foolish.”

“On the contrary,” stated Dimitri calmly, “she kept Lord Ozera alive, which in case you’ve forgotten, is our main priority. And she managed to kill more Strigoi than most everyone in this room. Even the professionals make mistakes, if you can’t tell by the empty seats in here.” Speaking of low blows… “Rose did what was rational, and she had success.”

“I think you’re a little biased, Belikov.” The guardian, who I still had no idea who he was, was now standing and eyeing Dimitri and I closely. “You two obviously have grown close, and you’re blinded by whatever your relationship is.”

“Guardian Matrosov, that is quite enough. This is not the time, nor the place, to discuss Miss Hathaway’s relationship with Guardian Belikov. Save your comments for a time when others’ lives aren’t at stake.” Alberta’s expression had hardened. “Could we get back to the situation at hand, please?” Alberta waited for Matrosov to sit down before continuing. “Christian Ozera chose to fight. There were no outside influences—other than keeping Miss Hathaway alive. His success in taking part in the fight has reached the guardian council and the queen. This could be the event that will lead to the Moroi using defensive magic in combat without having to face consequences. That being if they choose to do so.” She briefly looked at me, and then she took a deep breath. “Earlier I was approached with an idea. With the number of people that have been taken away, there’s been a suggestion for a rescue mission.”

There was an abrupt outcry. Guardians were shouting, standing up, and even approaching Alberta to speak with her. I felt a pang of guilt. She didn’t deserve to be the target of the guardians’ anger.

“Can we please retain order?” a voice boomed. It took me a moment to realize it had been my mother’s. “This could be a good thing. We can save those who were taken from a terrible fate. That is the whole purpose for us being guardians, to save others from a death and an afterlife as a Strigoi.”

All went silent once more. Alberta looked like she was on the verge of pulling her hair out. “Only those who want to go will. No one is being forced to go on this mission. This option has been extended to the Moroi as well, a test run of sorts granted by the queen herself. We have no time for rioting.” She took a deep breath. “The Strigoi are hiding out in the caves a few miles away from the academy. More than likely they’re planning on leaving when night falls. It would be best if we are there around three PM human time. Until then get plenty of rest—” she pointedly looked at me again “—and be prepared. We may have defeated many of them, but they have taken many of us…” She shook her head before her own guardian mask fell into place. “You’re all dismissed.”

Guardians quickly began filing out, but I stayed seated as long as Dimitri was. There was no way I wasn’t spending the time up until the mission without him.

After I spoke to Alberta.

Luckily Dimitri quietly dismissed himself to discuss the mission with a few other guardians, my mother included; while he did that, I chose to go to the front of the room where Alberta was. She greeted me with a smile. “What can I do for you, Rose?”

“Well, I was curious,” I began, doing my best to mask my worry. “Do you know anything about Eddie Castile? I haven’t seen or heard anything about him since sunrise.” Almost immediately her face became void of any emotion, and whatever hope I had dimmed.

“It is believed that Mister Castile is one of the taken. There hasn’t been a trace of him since sunrise for us either.” She shook her head. “Get some rest, Rose. You’ll need it.” She paused for a second to glance at the back of the room. “Tell Dimitri to get some rest as well. We need him to be as alert as possible.”

I nodded. “Thank you, Guardian Petrov.” Her façade broke a little at my use of formalities, but she made no other acknowledgement. Instead she just smiled once more before returning to the paper work at the desk.

Just as I began heading in Dimitri’s direction, Alberta spoke up one more time. “And Rose, I do mean sleep only. Don’t think I’m not aware of what’s been going on behind closed doors.”

I turned around, and I felt my cheeks heat up. “There hasn’t been any other form of sleeping,” I said, my tone light. “In fact I wasn’t aware there was more than one way. I’ve never experienced it. But now that you mention it, I could have Dimitri enlighten me about—”

“I’ll enlighten you about what?”

Speak of the Devil and the Devil shall appear. I felt my cheeks heat up once again while it looked like Alberta was doing her best to compose herself.

“Alberta was just informing me that we needed to get some sleep. Sleep only.” I turned to face Dimitri, smiling mischievously. “I wasn’t aware that there was more than one way to sleep, so I was wondering if you could enlighten me on the other way.”

His face hardened as he glanced around the room. At this point, we were the only three left, but he wasn’t going to drop the charade now. His eyes narrowed. “Now wouldn’t be the time to enlighten you on the ways of sleeping.”

“So when would be a good time?”

He let out a sigh before he looked to Alberta, avoiding my question. “Guardian Petrov, we’ll see you at three. And,” he quickly added when she went to speak, “we’ll only sleep. In the most innocent sense of the word. Don’t worry.” He escorted me out of the room before I could see her reaction, but I’m sure she was amused.

It was one-thirty. Dimitri and I had long since taken showers—separately of course—and he set the alarm for one o’clock. I wasn’t too keen on getting up before it was necessary, but he insisted because he wasn’t going to waste any time with me. Just in case. So we lay on his bed in each other’s arms. We hadn’t said anything since waking up, but there wasn’t much to say. We both had objectives when going into those caves: To save Viktoria and Eddie. Hopefully that meant saving them from being Strigoi snacks and not having to pierce their hearts with a stake.

Dimitri’s arms briefly tightened around me. I turned on my side and buried my face in the crook of his neck. For the first time it felt like we were just an ordinary couple. We didn’t have to worry about who was watching or judging us. We didn’t have to hold back. At all.

“When do you think things will be normal again?” I asked out of the blue.

I felt him kiss the top of my head and pulled me, if possible, closer to him. “I think this is normal.”

“How?”

He sighed. “As normal as it can be for us anyway. Worrying about everyone else around us, not knowing what will happen to one another by the end of the day. I think it will be like this from now on.”

“Well, don’t you just wish…” I shook my head. “Don’t you just wish our lives didn’t have to be this way? Even for just a day?”

“Roza,” he breathed. “A day hasn’t gone by that I haven’t wished that. And I’ve never wanted it more since I’ve met you. I wish our lives could be easier. Better.”

“Dimitri…”

“No,” he said before I could even say anything more than his name. He propped himself up on his elbows and looked me in the eye. “I am happy, Rose.”

“It’s not that,” I sighed, now staring up at the ceiling. “I wish I could give you more though. I know you want a family.”

“We’ve been over this time and time again.” He caressed my cheek. “I only want a family with you, and since that’s not an option, I can live without one.” He smiled a small smile. “Besides, we’ll have my niece and nephew and your friends’ kids to be around.”

I shook my head. “It’s not the same, though. I hate that I’m taking that away from you.”

He deeply exhaled. “I’m taking away the same thing from you, so consider us even.”

“You’re a piece of work, do you know that?”

His smile returned. “Well, I’m certainly not going to be just something to look at.”

I silently laughed at his little, uncharacteristic joke as I reached up to tuck some stray hairs behind his ear. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” he said with no hesitation.

I don’t know what prompted me to do it. The outside force was similar to the power of the lust charm, but at the same time, it was very different. I was sure I could have controlled it; I just didn’t want to. I hooked my arm around Dimitri’s neck and leaned upward to kiss him. He responded instantly, lowering himself so that neither of us had to strain at all to get what we wanted. He nipped my lower lip, and I gasped. This was a different side of Dimitri. One I had only seen once before…while we were under that damn lust charm. And I gladly welcomed it. I liked this side of Dimitri

Somewhere in the midst of my reveling, my shirt had vanished and Dimitri had started trailing kisses down my neck. Every few kisses he would nip at my skin or murmur something in Russian. I didn’t bother to ask what he was saying; I was more focused on how Dimitri was making me feel. It was otherworldly, amazing. Until I realized I didn’t know what I was doing. Sure I’d become shirtless a few times while making out with some guys, but this was definitely different. This was more. And I was rapidly becoming self-conscious with each passing moment. What if I messed up? What if he thought—Oh.

Dimitri made it to my chest, the slight stubble grazing my skin, and whatever I was feeling before amplified tenfold. My nails dug into his shoulders. In response he bit into my flesh and moaned. Within seconds he was hovering over me, looking me in the eye. The look he wore was the same as the one from the lust charm. Except he was in total control of himself. He wanted to do this, and he was going against his better judgment. Hell, I was in the same boat as him. This was wrong on so many levels, but it was just so right.

“Dimitri,” I breathed. “Please.”

He briefly thought about it before he lowered himself down again and captured my lips with his own. I took advantage of our situation and unbuttoned his shirt slowly. To be honest, every time I saw him he took my breath away. No matter how cliché, it was just amazing that one man could be so perfect in mind, body, and soul. And he was mine.

He shrugged out of the shirt and blindly tossed it somewhere in the room. He moved back to my neck, but I pushed him away. To say he looked hurt was an understatement. Boy, was he in for a surprise. I flipped us over so that I was on top.

Dimitri’s eyes grew mischievous as registered our new positions. He kept surprising me. I knew this was what he wanted, but it went against everything we were raised and lived to do. I was close to shoving him away, but I just…couldn’t. I didn’t know if I would see him again, and I didn’t want to keep our relationship on the back burner any longer. I needed to show him how much I cared about him, and allowing him to take my virginity might have been the best decision I’d made in my life. I knew I wouldn’t regret the decision. Ever.

I felt like Dimitri had come to the same conclusion that I had, because soon clothing was disappearing left and right. He took things slowly but still made our first time together sensual. Words could never even begin to describe how amazing it had been.

We lay together beneath the covers, limbs tangled together. We had to leave soon, but I never wanted to leave. I felt so safe and secure with him, especially when I knew we were going to be risking our lives soon.

However, that was our reality.

“We really need to get dressed,” Dimitri said after an extended silence.

“What time is it?”

“Twenty ‘til three.” He kissed the top of my head before letting me go and getting out of bed entirely.

I honestly would have watched him get ready, but we were running out of time. The walk to where the guardians and select few Moroi were meeting took a decent amount of time. Given the fact that neither of us was presentable, it was quite possible that we’d be late. So I begrudgingly hunted the room for whatever pieces of my clothing I could find before I got dressed.

“Your time management is horrible,” Dimitri commented just before we reached the guardians, novices, and Moroi.

“Please don’t start that. You are just as much at fault as I am.”

“Now who is going to believe that?” he asked out of amusement.

“No one has to believe it, but it is the truth,” I replied. “You know, it probably would have never happened if you weren’t so damn irresistible.”

“Rose…” He then mumbled to himself in Russian. While I didn’t understand a single word he said, his exasperated tone left me feeling a little more satisfied than I should have been and I smiled.

Alberta’s instructions almost immediately killed my mood. It was time to go to the caves. And I was about to panic because of the unknown. I didn’t know whether or not Viktoria and Eddie were safe. I didn’t know what would happen to Dimitri.

“…If you know the Strigoi, don’t hesitate…”

How possible was it for Eddie or Viktoria to be Strigoi?

Shit.