Status: Give it time.. Comments deeply loved!!!

Lie to Me

Chapter Twenty

"Jake you've got to understand that I love both of my girls equally." Charlie spoke after awhile. "You remember when he left Bella not too long ago?"

"Yeah." I answered, confused as to what this had to do with Jesse.

"Well when Mick died it was a hundred times worse for Jess." Charlie said sadly. "We actually did hospitalize her for awhile. That's why when Bella had that hopeless look on her face, it scared me so bad. She looked just like Jesse did when they pulled her from the fire. I had never felt so worthless when it came to my girls before; and I saw it happen twice.

One day she just snapped out of it. She began to act like it never happened and go about her business. She's always been my wild child, but the way she began to act was off the charts. Her grades were failing; she started sneaking out more often, and occasionally she’d not come home at all. That’s when Renee sent her to Swift River, and I think it was the worst thing she could’ve done. Jesse would’ve done fine living up here with me, and she’d still be talking to her mother.”

“She doesn’t talk to her mom anymore?” I asked surprised. Renee is all Bella talks about.

“Nope. Not a single word.” Charlie said shaking his head. “Well Jake I got to get back to work. Check on her before you leave, yeah?”

“Sure Charlie.” I nodded. He left and I immediately went back upstairs. Jesse was still where I laid her, but with a peaceful expression on her face.

I tried to back out of the room quietly, but she stirred. “Hey.” she mumbled, “Come lay with me.”
After shrugging my shoes off, I did as told and climbed in the bed behind her. She rolled over and snuggled deep into my chest, her fingers clinging to my shirt. “Mmhmm. You smell good. Kinda woodsy actually. I love it.”

I chuckled lightly. “I do spend a lot of time there. Go back to sleep, you're out of it.”

“You’re like a big bear, but the kind you win at a fair.” She giggled.

What the hell? “A bear?”

“Yeah, all big and scary looking but really you’re all warm and cuddly. My own little bear cub.” She explained.

“Am I now?” I laughed quietly at her logic.

“Yep. And I loves my bear cub.” She giggled again, kissing my lips. “I mean it Jake, I really do love you.”

“I love you too.” I whispered, “Now get some sleep.”

She yawned lightly, before laying her head back on my chest and quickly falling back asleep.