Rule Breaker

Judgmental

Abbey felt the need to vomit as the cab began the hour drive to her house. She couldn't believe she was going to be seeing her parents, let alone with Zacky. She really didn't know what they would say to him first. Would they fuss over his tattoos or piercings? His outfit? His career? They would surely fuss over something, and she knew the fussing wouldn't end with one thing. They would pick him apart from head to toe. They would make him feel like dirt, before even giving him a real chance.

"Baby," Zacky said.

She glanced over at him, her green eyes meeting his. She could tell he was worried that he had messed up by bringing her here. She half smiled.

"I'm sorry." He finally said.

"Don't you dare apologize." She said, "This was the most thoughtful thing you could have ever done for me, Zacky."

"But, it's something you don't want. I can see that."

"I just don't want them being rude towards you, and I know they will be." She said, biting down on her bottom lip, thinking about how she could explain it to him, "My parents are so judgmental, they're gonna take one look at you, see tattoos, and piercings, and then think you're some low life."

"Let them think that. I'll just prove them wrong like I have everyone else."

"But, you're going to think less of me because of it."

He laughed in an unbelievable way.

"You're kidding, right?"

She shook her head in response, and he sighed loudly, as he grabbed her hand and stroked his thumb over it. He was falling in love with this girl, and he wasn't going to allow anything to stand in the way. Not Gena, nor her judgmental parents.

"Abbey, no one is going to make me think less of you. I promise."

"But. . ."

"No buts. Trust me, okay?"

She slowly nodded her head, knowing she really had no choice in the matter. They would soon be arriving at her parents house and then the judgment would begin. She really hoped her parents took it easy on him. She hadn't been around them in years. She had only talked to them on the phone.

She inhaled deeply as the cab turned down the road that would led to her house. She dampened her lips as she looked over at Zacky. His eyes seemed to be glued to the tinted window, gazing out at all the beautiful green scenery Kentucky had to offer. It wasn't long before they pulled up in front of a medium sized white house. It was her childhood home. The house she had grown up in.

"We're here." She whispered.

He smiled, "Remember to trust me."

"I do." She nodded.

She and Zacky got out of the cab, and then grabbed their bags. She turned around and looked at the house. Zacky paid the cab, and then they both picked up their luggage and began making the walk up the drive way. Butterflies of uneasiness were swarming around in Abbey's stomach as she approached the front door. She was hoping that her parents would be so surprised and blown away with her visit, that they wouldn't even care about her relationship with Zacky.

Abbey raised her hand up and pounded softly on the door. She was hoping no one would be home, but she could hear loud foot steps walking towards the door. She knew the loud foot steps could only be one person.

Her father.

The door opened up and she looked into the piercing green eyes of her dad. He seemed to be shocked by her visit, but then smiled and pulled her into a hug.

"Maggie!" He yelled, "Abigail is home!"

Zacky watched as her father embraced her in a hug. It was a really beautiful thing to witness. He knew it had been a long time since they had all saw each other. It felt good to be able to watch the reunion. Zacky looked over and watched as Abbey hugged a dark haired woman, then he felt the cold eyes of her father on him.

"Who is this?" Her father asked in his usual southern accent.

Abbey pulled away and looked at her boyfriend. She decided to just announce it now, and delay putting it off.

"Mom, Dad. . . this is Zacky, my boyfriend."

"Your boyfriend?" Her father asked.

"Yes." She squeaked out.

Her mother looked at him for a few minutes, studying every detail of his face. Abbey just knew she was picking him apart from top to bottom. She was deciding on what to pick at first, his tattoos or piercings.

"You're in a band." Her mother stated, completely shocking the hell out of her. She hadn't mentioned anything about him being in a band.

"Yes." Zacky asked, showing no fear of her father's intimating stares, and her mother's statement.

Her mother smiled, as she placed her hand out, and Zacky shook it.

"Avenged Sevenfold, right?" Her mother asked, with an actual smile.

"Yes." He answered with a nod.

Abbey arched a brow, and looked around. Had she just landed herself in the twilight zone? She shook her head.

"Mom, I never said anything. . ."

"I know. I just know of him."

"How do you know of him?" Abbey asked.

"You know how I clean house for your uncle George?"

Abbey nodded. Her uncle George and his wife both worked at the hospital. They paid her mother weekly to clean the house. It was hard for them to keep up with such busy schedules, and three messy kids.

"Well," Maggie smiled, "Tyler has posters of his," She said pointing to Zacky, "band plastered all over the walls. Normally I have to clean to their music since I don't know how to get that damn stereo to turn off." She grumbled.

Abbey laughed slightly, and felt really good about the visit. Maybe things wouldn't be as bad as she thought.

"Well, I don't know who he is. . . but he looks like some sort of thug." Her father said.

Or maybe it was just the beginning. . .
♠ ♠ ♠
Image