Last Name

The Bright Side

After much difficulty, I pulled down the garage door to hide my car. Having your car locked up was most likely a good idea for where my apartment was. It wasn’t in the greatest part of town but at the moment it was all I could afford by myself.

“Sweetheart, call me back as soon as you can please.” I smiled as my mother’s slight Texan accented voice rang through my ear as I answered my cellphone’s missed calls. We haven’t talked in about a week. And I missed her a lot. “I’ve this incredibly handsome man about your age just moved in next door. I was thinking about how your so lonely in L.A with no one with you in that apartment, that maybe a man would be good for you.”

I started walking up the stairs to the second floor.

“Anyway, call me back. Love you to pieces.”

I closed my cellphone and contemplated whether or not to tell my mom that I was married. That decision was quickly decided. Of course I would have to tell her. My mom, being who she was, most likely would understand, and then be mad that she wasn’t there to see it.

Someone wolf whistled below be. I jumped and looked down over the railing nervously. It was situations like this that made me wish I didn’t live alone.

Luckily it wasn’t someone that wanted to rape me.

“Mercedes! Don’t do that!”

The petite Spanish woman smiled cheekily at me. Her heavily built fiancé Rafael was shaking his head at his soon-to-be wife.

“You shouldn’t do that mi amor.” He said sternly to her. “Next time it might not be us.”

Mercedes’s mouth shaped and ‘o’. I shivered at the thought of what Rafe was talking about. Something like that wasn’t uncommon in this part of town.

“Sorry Nora.”

I smiled at her apology.

“That’s alright. Keeps me on my toes.”

Rafael nodded and put his arm around Mercedes and they started to walk up the stairs I was just at moments ago. I took out my keys and began to work on the two locks I needed to unlock to get into my apartment.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come over for dinner tonight?” Mercedes asked me as they passed.

“Thanks for the offer but no. I’m so tired from working I’m afraid I might fall asleep on you.” I laughed tiredly.

Mercedes giggled and continued walking. Rafael, however, waited until she had gotten safely into their home before turning to me with his stern looking face.

“Honora,” He was the only person I knew that called me by my whole first name. “I know I’ve told you this a million times but if you need anything, or feel even the slightest but scared in here,”
He gestured to the apartment. “Don’t hesitate to call. We worry about you.”

I nodded.

Rafe flashed the ghost of a rare smile and followed this fiancé up the stairs.

After about thirty more seconds of trying to bust open my door, I stumbled into the hallway and quickly locked the door. Throwing my key’s on the tiny kitchen table as I passed by , I walked over to a combination lock that kept one of my cupboards closed and quickly spun the dial to the correct numbers. My laptop, my mother’s diamond earring, camera and other possessions that I would be deeply bothered if they had been stolen, were stored in there.

I needed a new apartment.

Well you are the one, the one that lies close to me. Whispers ‘Hello, I've missed you quite terribly’ I fell in love, in love with you suddenly. Now there's no place else I could be but here in your arms.

I danced slightly over to my purse. Here (In Your Arms) by Hellogoodbye blasted from my cellphone.

“Hello?”

“Are you packing yet?” I rolled my eyes at Jeff.

“No Jeff. I’m not. Why don’t you go bother Yuki?” Yuki was my lead guitarist, and backup vocals. She made my solo career seem more like I was playing in a band. Which was a great feeling.

“As much as I’d love to, I can’t. She’s not going with you.”

I narrowed my eyes. When Jeff says that I’m going somewhere, usually that meant Yuki, Chase, Erik and Talon went as well.

“Why not?”

“In case you haven’t noticed Nora, your not in a band. You’re a solo artist. This tour lets you stand out as an individual and I don’t think you can do that with the guys with you.”

This was unbelievable.

“That’s bullshit and you know it.”

“They only invited you honey.”

I hung up on him. Sighing, I thought about how this tour was turning into a really bad idea. My lovely husband was going to be there, which I suppose I couldn’t avoid forever. My best friend’s weren’t going to be there and that depressed me greatly.

But on the bright side, it was about two months away from this neighborhood. And Yuki couldn’t kill me for not telling her about Mr. Vengeance until after the tour was over.

I guess the bright side’s not so bright after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to xXRipMyHeartOpenXx you rock!
So here's some pics of people mentioned in this chapter plus Jeff.

Mercedes
Rafael
Yuki
Chase
Erik
Talon
Jeff

comments?