Last Name

Another Ring

“Um... thanks mom. I... I really don’t know what to say.”

I looked away from my mother in embarrassment as she put it on my finger. My mom looked comfortable as could be. Like giving me this was something easy to do, or to talk about.

“Oh that’s fine sweetheart. I know you might be a little older then when I should have given you this, but I think now is good as ever.”

Yes. A fantastic time to give me a purity ring! For one I wasn’t a virgin. And it’s a little ironic that I’m married and she’s giving this to me. Then again I haven’t told my mother I was married... I should probably do that. I probably should have done that before she gave me this.

“Listen mom. I really don’t know how to say this but...”

“Don’t bother sweetheart. I already know.”

She does?

“You do?”

“Of course honey.” She put a freshly manicured hand on my arm. “No need to thank me. I just want to let all those men on that music tour of yours that you’re a respectable woman who know’s that love waits.”

I forced a smile to my face.

My mom was the best. Really. More then I could ever ask for. But when it came to sex she
was really strict about how I went about it. With good reason.

My mother wasn’t married when she had me at the age of 19. Her boyfriend raped her because of her choice to save herself until marriage. He left her when she got pregnant. Sex had turned her life around. And I guess that result was me. The child born out of
wedlock and under illegal circumstances.

“Thanks mom.”

I couldn’t tell her I was married after she came all the way up from San Antonio, Texas to give me this ring. And to drive me to the airport to meet Jeff. She probably spent a lot on this ring and this trip that I would just feel bad telling her that the ring was useless.

Not that I was thinking about having sex with Zacky Baker again.

I was suddenly glad I kept that I packed my wedding ring in my bag already. Why I kept it with me, I still didn’t know.

“Well darling.” My mother said standing up. “Let’s get moving shall we?”

I waited until my mom was outside before I hauled my hockey bag full of the necessities I needed to survive this tour, though the hall and very carefully down the stairs. I knew Rafe and Mercedes were laughing at me struggling from their apartment window. My mom had this terrified look on her face like I was going to fall down the stairs and break my neck.

Which I guess could happen.

Either way she was relieved when I got the bag into her rental car.

Running back upstairs, I locked the door securely and waved to my staring neighbours. Mercedes blew me a kiss and Rafe mouthed me a ‘good luck’.

Mom turned up some classical radio station and I quietly bit my lip as the tradition music came through the speakers. She didn’t approve of my career choice but she wouldn’t dare say that out loud. But she still tried to sway my hard rock/scremo listening to something softer.

It was a thirty minute drive to the airport with the way traffic moved here. I could tell mom wasn’t used to the driving here so I added on another 20 minutes to the car ride.
When we finally pulled up to the airport Jeff was no where in sight. I shivered slightly at the cold February air. If I had to go on tour, why couldn’t it have been during the summer?

My mother just waited beside the car as I tried to pull my bag out of the trunk of the car.

“Mom. You couldn’t help me could you?”

“Oh. I was just going to call your uncle.” She said smiling sneakily at me.

Of course.

“Never mind then.”

I put my foot on the back of the car and pulled on the handles again. My mom had apparently got a hold of my uncle and was chatting loudly with her brother not five feet away from me.

“You need some help?” A voice said behind me.

Help? Sounds fantastic.

“That would be amazing. Thank you.” I turned around to see none other then Alex Varkatzas. Lets just say I got a little star struck for moment longer then I would have expected.

“You’re a fan I take it?”

I laughed a little and nodded.

“Awesome.”

With one quick heave he pulled my hockey bag out of the trunk. I turned to my mom who had just finished her conversation.

“See honey. You didn’t need my help.”

I rolled my eyes at her.

“I’d better get going. Your manger will be here soon.”

Mom didn’t like Jeff much so I hugged her and kissed her goodbye. And before I knew it she had started the car again and was waving at me out the window as she drove away.

“So where you headed?”

I can’t believe I almost forgot that the frontman for Atreyu was standing behind me with my bag in his arms. He was smiling at me. Which was enough to almost make my heart stop.

Thankfully Jeff decided to show up at that moment and save me the embarrassment of stuttering my words out.

“Nora! There you are!” Jeff shouted in glee, wrapping me up in a friendly hug. “And I see you’ve met Mr. Varkatzas here.”

I nodded again. I watched as Jeff and Alex greeted each other like old friends. Deciding that I wouldn’t be missed at the moment, I grabbed one of those carts to carry luggage on and rolled it over to where they were standing.

“So your Honora?” Alex asked me. I nodded again. What was with me? Didn’t I not have a voice or something? He seemed to be thinking along the same lines. “Don’t say much do you?”

“Are you kidding?” Jeff cut in. “The trick is getting her to shut up.”

I punched him in the arm for that comment.

“Ow! Hey Nora?” Jeff said curiously. “What’s on your finger?”
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks too:
MsSynnieVengeance
xXRipMyHeartOpenXx

You rock!

Outfit

Anymore comments?