Status: Complete. It's not a contest winner or anything - just something I came up with randomly. Feedback would be awesome, though... :/

Sweeping.

whispered secrets.

He sat in the silence, waiting; the ticks of the clock his only companion.

“Hey, um, Cole?” he asked suddenly, breaking the silence that had only been accompanied by the sweep of bristles against the floor and the quiet in-and-outs of their breathing patterns.

“Yeah?”

"U-Uh... Umm... W-Well you see--”

“Go on...?”

“M-My friend’s got this problem, a-and he asked me for advice, s-so can I ask you...?"

“Mhm?” he replied curtly, his focus still on sweeping.

Kayden paused. The thought had lingered in his mind for too long now, but then again, he was afraid of the answer. Was it really worth the risk?

He mumbled and stuttered and gulped, trying to come up with the right words, before finally blurting, “W-What would you do if s-someone, around my age, like, f-f-fell... for you?”

He kept his eyes on the floor, quickly sweeping away at the dust now.

The older leaned slightly on his broom and turned to the littler boy beside him. He studied his features carefully; seeking expression, answers. The boy's face held so much emotion - especially in contrast to his poker face - but he couldn't put a name to what it was.

"I guess I'd go to jail for being a pedophile," he joked, following it with a laugh, but Kayden just kept sweeping, mute. "Something wrong, kiddo?" he asked, faking oblivious.

"N-Nah, just thinking..." he paused to stare at his broom for a moment. "Why aren't we using vacuum cleaners, again?" Cole noticed the quick change of topic, but decided to leave it at that.

"Because they're noisy," he stated simply.

Kayden looked up finally, allowing Cole a glance into his blue-green orbs.

"What's wrong with that?"

"W-Well, we haven’t, you know... talked much. With all your school friends and-- I just thought now would be a good time...”

A tint of pink crawled up Kayden’s cheeks - Cole noticed and smiled.

“S-So you... missed me, then?” he barely mouthed it; one half of him hoping Cole heard it, and the other half wishing he didn’t.

“Of course I did, Kay.”

Cole laid his chin atop Kayden’s head - showing off just how much taller he was. He turned Kayden around and ruffled his hair; the small smile still playing at his lips.

Cole pulled him close; their hearts beat against each other, arms wrapped their waists. He breathed in Kayden’s scent and pressed a kiss on his head.

“You wanna know a secret, Kay?”


“Cole!” Kayden pounced into his arms as soon as he stepped into the doorway.

“Whoa, whoa. Easy there, kiddo,” Cole said, grinning. “What’s the commotion about?”

“I...” he cut himself off, as though he’d said it too loud. “I love you,” Kayden whispered it, like the secret Cole had once told him.
♠ ♠ ♠
That was overlybeyondretardedtothepointthatyoualmostdied, I agree.
Comments anyway? :/