Status: Updates when available.

A Light on in Chicago

Tape #382

“Hey you guys! So, if this is Fall Out Boy, then I’m really very grateful to be picked this far. I figure y’all have people narrowing most of the contest entries down for you, so you watching this would just be quite cool. So I guess I should cut this short. My name is Harper, but you can call me Scout. I’m 22, from pretty much all over, but my roots are in one of the many birthplaces of the blues, New Orleans. So yeah… I think that’s about it.”

That was all she said. Her voice sounded like she could burst into laughter at any second. Her accent was varied; a Southern twang was almost drowned out by northern influences. Scout was a woman who loved her music and dressed like it. An obscure band tee shirt, signed, was partially hidden by the large set of head phones resting around her neck. Nothing else was visible to the camera.

At that point in the video she picked up her instrument of choice – an expensive-looking clarinet – and started playing. Simple scales evolved into a more complex warm-up until suddenly she stopped, adjusted a few things on her horn, and began to really play.

It was a medley the likes of which none of them had yet heard. It began with a festive holiday tune, for it was that season, then almost seamlessly flowed into the Imperial March from Star Wars. That grand piece was soon cut off by some jazz tune that seemed slightly familiar to a few members of the audience. To put it simply, this girl was rocking out. She was amazing, they all had to admit. The singer seemed especially impressed. As a producer, he was constantly trying to fit new sounds together well, and this oddball arrangement before him did exactly that. It was impressive.

Her song ended, and the woman carefully put down her instrument and reached forward to turn off the camera. There was no pleading to “please, pick me!” just simple introduction and presentation. It was refreshing. The band had had others narrow down the entries like Har- Scout had guessed. The top 45 tapes had been sent for the boys themselves to choose a winner from.

Scout’s tape had come toward the end of the selection the band watched. There were only five or six videos after hers, but the winner was already pretty clear. No one else’s musical choices were so varied, but flowing and blending as well. No one but Scout had been that charming in their introduction, even given hers was a tad long and rambling. No one else had seemed to really appreciate what the band was doing or the power of music in general. No one but Scout had won the boys over so completely.

Or maybe that was just Patrick’s opinion.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's plot coming at some point....
Sorry it's not a lot.
Enjoy!