Status: Updates when available.

A Light on in Chicago

Stampede and Begging

As Patrick had promised, Scout had a package waiting for on her welcome mat two days later. It contained the minor contest winnings – a few signed shirts and their newest album – as well as everything she would need for her trip. The boys had all included their phone numbers in the letter detailing when she would leave and explaining why the tickets were only one-way.

“Wait…, tickets? I get that they don’t want to force us into a specific amount of time out there, but why did they say tickets? It’s just me going, right?” she asked the empty room.

“Stop talking to yourself! People are gonna think you’re some kind of freak!” Scout’s ever-so-helpful roommate Marcelle yelled at her. “You wouldn’t want your new friends you’re leaving me in Chicago to go meet to thinking you’re weird, would you?”

“You better be nice to me or I won’t take you to L. A. with me!”

Marcelle came running into the main room with Scout once that little tidbit had been let into the air. “You have another ticket? Please take me with you! Please please please! You know I’ve had a little crush on Joe for forever, and now I have a chance to meet him. You have to take me with you. Its not like you have anyone else to go with, Little Miss Antisocial,” she pleaded.

“Hey! You may be right about my disturbing lack of close friends here, but I can still hold this ticket over your head you know!” Scout threatened back.

“Fine, fine, I’ll be sweet as Jello, just take me with you, alright?” Marcelle gave in rather easily this time. It was for an important cause, after all.

“Yeah, yeah, if you’re lucky.”

Scout’s and Marcelle’s relationship had been like that ever since they met. They could tease and threaten each other all day without getting angry over it. They had met soon after Scout settled in Chicago. Marcelle had gotten her the job when she applied at a book and comic store a few blocks away from where she was staying. They became fast friends at work, and eventually Scout moved into Marcelle’s apartment somewhat across town. This meant the girls had to carpool or ride the bus, but neither of them minded. The store let them live decently, especially considering big city prices. They lived happily together, sharing tastes in books, movies, music, and clothes.

“So when do we leave?” Scout was asked.

“A week from Thursday. It’s an early flight, so be ready to wake up and go. We should start preparing for indefinite leave. They didn’t send us tickets for the way back,” she answered her friend with as much information as she had.

“I don’t have that much money saved up. How are we gonna pay our way back home? We’re gonna have to hobo up on a train or something! This is gonna be awful! I won’t be able to enjoy meeting a band if I’m worried about how to get back home!” Marcelle overacted quickly and easily, but she usually ad a good point behind her stress.

“Okay, okay, wait a minute. I can call one of the guys and figure that out. Surely they wouldn’t just leave us stranded in L. A. when we want to go home.” Scout rationalized quickly to try and calm her friend down. Then she looked through the package to find the list of numbers she could call. Going directly to the top of the list, she skipped right over Patrick’s name, not wanting to embarrass herself again like she had last time they spoke on the phone. That conversation had been a disaster, for her at least. She didn’t want to risk repeating the awkwardness so soon. So, Scout punched in Andy’s number.

“Hello?” an all-too-familiar voice answered.

“Um… Patrick? This is Scout….” This was not going to go well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another character! I don't really have much of an idea of who she is, so if anyone wants to help me out, it'd be appreciated.

That is an odd sentence.