Status: Updates when available.

A Light on in Chicago

New Perspective

Chapter credit goes to Panic! At the Disco

Andy had left to get us groceries about half an hour before his phone started ringing. I was closest, so I picked up fairly quickly without looking at the screen.

“Hello?” I let the caller know I was there.

“Um… Patrick? This is Scout….” She seemed… what was that emotion? Disappointed? Maybe worried? Why would me answering the phone make her sound like that? I’m not pleased with the last time I talked with her, but was it really that bad? Sure, I made a total fool out of myself, what else is new? But now’s my chance to redeem myself before she flies to L.A. and I’m not talking! Loser!

“Oh! Hey! What can I do you for? Something the matter?” Oh good going; accuse her reason for calling, very nice start this is turning out to be.

“No! I mean, yeah, kind of a little. I wanted to thank you for the extra ticket. My friend Marcelle is really excited about getting to go with me. She’s got a bit of a crush on Joe, so watch out for that. And shh. Don’t tell anybody, okay? Also, um, how do we get back? I mean I really hate to ask and I know it’s a lot, but we don’t have all that much money saved up. Not enough for a plane ticket back home at least. So…?” she spoke for quite a while before I could get a word in edgewise. She did that a lot, I’ve noticed.

Pat, you’re spacing out again! Focus! Okay, how are they getting home? I don’t really know his one. Better just say something to solve the problem for now until we figure it out for real.

“Well, I’m not exactly sure. Don’t worry though! We wouldn’t leave you stranded out west. We’ll get you home when you’re ready.” Good! That was a suitable answer, and hopefully some of the worry will be gone from her voice now. Pat yourself on the back for that one, buddy. Or maybe not; Pete’ll look at you funny.

“Oh. Okay that’ll work. Thank you so much for putting up with all this mess. I’m sorry if I bothered you or anything,” she apologized sweetly.

“No, it’s fine if you do. Not like we were really doing anything much. Feel free to call whenever you need to. Look, Andy just came in with the groceries,” he really had, I wasn’t just making something up to get out of the conversation at hand, “so I better go help him out. I guess we’ll see you later. Bye, Scout!” I heard her say good-bye to me as well before I hung up to give Andy his phone and a hand with the food.

----------

Marcelle hung over me while I was on the phone, trying to hear what was happening on the other end of the phone. Eventually I got tired of her bothering and went into my room, but not soon enough I guess.

“You told one of them I have a crush on Joe! How could you? Why would you tell Patrick that if you guys were so awkward on the phone the other day? What happened to that, huh?” My worry-wart of a roommate berated me as soon as I walked back out of my room. And in truth, I didn’t have much of an answer.

Perhaps I was becoming more comfortable with these perfect strangers? Maybe the awkwardness and embarrassment of out first conversation wouldn’t be a sign as to how the rest of our relationship would go. Not that I’m calling it a relationship, mind you! But why would I be se up front with my friend’s secrets to a man that I’d never even met before?

All this thinking is just confusing me. I don’t like Patrick. I mean, he seems cool and all, but he’s a rock star! I used to work for those types, and they don’t fall for me-types. Wait, fall for? Why would I even think that phase? That’ll never happen in a million years. I should just shut up and start packing, and worry about boy problems if and when they show up. Marcelle does enough worrying for everyone involved in this little adventure.
♠ ♠ ♠
I promise there will be real, actual plot next chapter. I just need to write it first.