Wicked

Wander On

The next morning, I woke up, extremely well rested and curious. Yeah, strange, but right now, nothing could be more strange than where I was at the moment. I snuck out of our hut-like shelter and began to walk. The sky glowed yellows, oranges and reds, and very few stars still hung in the colorful blanket above. One sun replaced the three moons, and a piece of a book popped into my head.

'Three and one, the stars, moon, planets and sun, the astronomical sign of peace and unity with the universe.'

Now I understood a little. The one sun, and three moons were a sign of peace and unity with nature, but... these three moons were also a star-sign of pain with pleasure, bliss with suffering. This world is no world of naught pain. They were wrong.

My father wrote stories of wonderful places like this, and books on his astronomical findings. He believed in one such world where pain has never touched the knees of children, or the hearts of women. This was the dream, but also the nightmare.

I followed the trail, and paced myself. A fairly chilly breeze blew my long raven black hair about me. Something about this world made me like I had my own wings, that I could just... jump and fly away. I could feel the grass grow, I could hear all the mysterious tales the trees whispered in the wind. But this beautiful moment was soon stopped by the small whimpers of someone near by.

I squeezed through the trees and the bushes, and found myself over looking a large stream, and a rocky outcrop. The boulders hung low above the stream, and a sixteen year old Flame Faerie sat at the edge, and cried.

"Cynder? Are you okay?"

"Oh! Sam... please forgive me! I don't mean to cry like this."

"Spare me, I cry all the time. In my sleep, in front of people. What's wrong, tell me."

"It's a disgrace to my people to be a beast of burden."

"Beast of burden or not, we all need a shoulder to cry on sometime. Please, tell me, I can probably help."

She poured out to me, telling me everything from failing a spell test to being crushed to pieces by some guy named Link. I understood, and could feel the empathy spread like wild fire.

"I know how you feel. Being broken for so long... you need to pull yourself together before you're impossible to fix. One guy can't be your romanticide, you have to let go. Its for the very, very best." I preached, head hanging low. "I know... being crushed so harshly as you have, its hard to fix yourself. And I know that he was your first sweet nothing. But empty words and meaningless vows won't get you the satisfaction of love. Live, let go, move on." I was on the verge of tears as she hugged me. I was limp, I remained motionless as the hug lasted and her tears wet the back of my shirt.

"Words of a philosopher from the mouth of a child. Your wisdom reaches far beyond your years, Sam. But something about you says that you yourself haven't healed properly from your last love."

She was right in ways uncountable. I stood up, said welcome and took three paces, head hung in defeat.

"My heart's deformities are to stay hidden." I continued to walk. I reached the path and walked painfully slow. I fought the urge to run like mad, but inside of me. I wanted to fall to my knees and sob.

Hearts never heal properly, sweetie. Once it's broken, it's broken, but how much of your misery takes over is your decision. Make the right one, and only little scratches remain.

I fingered the three scars on my chest, hidden with makeup they were. How can little scratches remain on my heart... when these horrible scars still appear on my body? I stopped walking before I got lost. Finding a tree, I sat hidden by the low hanging branches, vines and gigantic leaves and wept into my hands, for hours it seemed.

Once there were no more tears to cry, and the superstition of crying tears of blood flooded in, I stood. Gathering my thoughts, I took little notice that it was about midday. I began my walk back to our camp, it was quicker, but still seemed to take years to lift my feet. I came back, and Cynder sat with the guys around a fire, talking like I had never left. And they had seemed to take my warnings seriously. No flirting, no nothing. Sorry, but sparks die quickly.

"Hey there Sam! Where'd you go?"

"I had to get around, you know?"

"Thinking."

"Yeah, thinking." I guess you could say that.

I walked into the hut, and laid down on one of the makeshift beds that lay scattered all over. I made one decent, and laid down, back facing the doorway. I fell asleep before I could burst out crying again, and for that much, I'm glad.