Wicked

Hatching Sprites

I sat in the circle, directly in the middle, and muttered the words correctly. The egg changed from purple to white, to blue, to orange and red flecked, then it quivered. I smiled hopefully, but with a small pop and a huge 'Kaboom', the small egg exploded, then the bits turned to ash.

"Damn, third time!"

"Cynder! Be careful doing that, you could put a hole through your wing!" my mother called. I flexed my wings, they were fine. I had put a small hole in the tip of my right, but it only twinged a bit. I looked around me, I was all out of eggs.

"Mum! I'm out of Crook eggs! Do we have anymore?"

"No deary, go ask Arya!" I huffed. We were always out of Crook eggs sometime or another. I walked over to Arya's floor hut, the tree house was too far and she loved it down here. I knocked on the door, and she opened, her Sprite not far behind.

"Hello Arya, Royal, have a second?"

"Yes, we do."

"I need to borrow a Crook's egg."

"Still trying to hatch a Sprite?"

"Yes. I can't do it and I've done everything right!"

"Did you use white sand?" I nodded.

"Pond-hopper blood?" I nodded again.

"Terry Weed?" I snapped my fingers.

"No! That's what I was missing!" Arya laughed wryly. She was always one step ahead of me, Water Faeries are notorious for it. She shook her head and offered to help me. I nodded, my dark scarlet hair shaking furiously.

Walking back to the circle in my yard, I sat and set the candles back upright, and lit them with a wave of my hand. I purified the white sand once more, pouring more Pond-hopper blood in the dish, and Arya handed me Terry Weed and the Crook egg. I set the violent purple egg down, spreading the Terry Weed around it. I mumbled the spell once more and watched the egg go green, then white, to blue, then blood orange and red flecked. I held my breath and the egg exploded... and out flew a tiny blood red ball of light, who coughed and sputtered in the smoke.

Her tiny voice spoke up, a mite rough due to smoke damage.

"Hello, I'm..." she coughed, "Owies... sorry, I'm Fate. Thanks for that." I walked into the house and got poppy-water, she needed it. I handed her a thimble full and she flew to my shoulder.

"Woo! That hit the spot! Thanks again. What's your name 'biggun?"

"Cynder. This is Arya, and that's her friend Royal. They're both Water Elemental."

"And obviously we are...!" she made a drum roll. I laughed.

"Yes, we are both Flame Elemental." Fate giggled. I like her a lot already. She let her light down and I saw her attire. A small gray dress big enough to fit my index finger. I knew all Sprites come out like this, and I planned on taking her out to get new clothes.

"Ugh. Do you have a dress for me? Something besides these birth rags?" I nodded and led my three friends into my floor hut. I rummaged through my old doll clothes, and found a red and black striped skirt and the matching shirt what was cut one shoulder. She looked at it and snatched it up, putting her light back on to change. The gray one piece dress fell to the ground, turning into a Fire Flower on contact. Fate lowered her light to a dim glow, and posed in her new clothes. We laughed as she acted conceited and snob-like. I nearly fell over in laughter cramps.