I Don't Think Like You Do

Two; Will

“Allan’s right,” I thought, “We shouldn’t be sat around while the villagers are starving and being terrorised.” I tucked my axes into my belt as I followed him from the camp, and asked, “Where are you planning on going?” As we made our way to the nearest of our hidden food dumps, he turned his head towards me slightly, and replied, “Locksley. We haven’t been there for a few days.” I nodded in agreement, whilst thinking about another time we’d been off together.

The gang had rushed to Locksley Manor to rescue Marian, who’d taken it upon herself, in the guise of the Night Watchman, to steal from Guy of Gisbourne. We’d arrived just in time to see him cornering her, unaware of her true identity, so we’d helped her escape, and made well our retreat, splitting up to divide Guy’s forces. As usual, I’d ended up with Allan, and it was our job to make sure the proceeds got back to camp safely. We had seemed to have the main body of guards on our heels, for obvious reasons, but we managed to lose them once we reached the forest, due to our greater knowledge of Sherwood and their general stupidity. It amazed me sometimes how they never learnt to expect our normal tricks.

Anyway, we were cantering through the forest, laughing at the ease of it all when it’d started to rain. Deciding to take shelter, we found a log under an oak tree, and relaxed, watching the rain pour down. After a few minutes silence, Allan had asked, “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” Immediately, I’d answered with a simple, “No.”

“How do you know what I’m thinking if you’re not thinking it?”

“I don’t think like you do.”

“I’m not being funny, but maybe you should. What, you think Robin’s going to need us when he’s a lord? It’s alright for them, ain’t it? What are we going to have?”

“This should go to the poor.”

“That’s us now. Look, we were outlaws, we had a job. We got nothing now, we are the poor! You know what this is?”

“What?”

“It’s severance pay.” I’m ashamed to say I was beginning to be tempted by his scheming at that point.

Eventually the rain had cleared, and we'd mounted our horses once again, Allan's words echoing in my mind, What he'd said was true, and I agreed with him, albeit guiltily. We'd ridden in silence, the point of judgement drawing closer and closer, the voices in my head growing louder and louder. There was the voice of reason arguing that I should return to camp and continue helping the poor and needy, but there was also another voice retorting that it was okay to be selfish sometimes. The King was expected to return, and when he did, things would slowly right themselves. We wouldn't be needed anymore.


I sighed as the memory played back in my head. That was the closest the gang had ever come to falling apart, although luckily we’d turned back before we got to Scarborough, arriving just in time to help the others fight off the Sheriff. Allan had changed since then, but it wasn’t something I regretted. I preferred the new him. Another bonus was that he didn’t like Djaq anymore, leaving me able to court her. I opened my mouth to ask him what I should do about the situation, but then thought better of it; realising Robin would be a better person to speak to. As far as I knew, Allan had no experience with women, whereas Robin was engaged to Marian. Making a mental note to talk to him later, I quickened my pace to catch up with my friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
Severance pay is the pay an employer gives to a worker when they leave the job, if anyone's wondering.
There will be slash, I promise. We just don't want to rush things; it's not a porno. :)
Comment please?