A Forbidden Love

Prologue

Prologue

I couldn’t believe it. Here I was, just turned eighteen and I already had to leave my family and home. My father was a high-ranking official and I was the only girl old enough for the task. I, Paige, had to marry a werewolf. I’m getting a head of myself, let me tell you how this all happened.

There I was, minding my own business when I heard a knock at my door. I was sitting in a chair on my balcony. I laid the book I was reading down on the table next to my chair and stood. My dress was lying on my bed, unused. I was supposed to be wearing it, but I didn’t want to. We were having company coming to visit and Father wanted me to look presentable. I sighed and walked over to the door in my jeans and tight fitting t-shirt.

“Your father wishes to speak with you. He told me to ask that you wear the dress, for it is important.” One of my many slaves spoke to me with her head down and her eyes cast on the floor. I moved my red curls behind my ears and dismissed her.

After I closed the door I went back over to the balcony and picked up my book. I held it to my chest and gazed out at the many hills and forests between freedom and me. I had always wanted to run away, but I was always caught and punished. I hadn’t tried since I had turned sixteen. I thought it to childish of me. Just three weeks before was my eighteenth birthday and I had to start acting like a lady if I wanted to get suitors. Father was well known for his wealth and power, and I would have many suitors coming to marry me for my inheritance if my father should leave this earth. I couldn’t’ get over how greedy some people were.

I was pulled from my thoughts as I heard a distant howl in the nearest forest. I felt chills run up my spine. It sounded like one of the werewolves from one of the packs. We were surrounded by many werewolf packs. No one was to go out into the woods after dark, not even the knights. The wolves killed without mercy and were known for torturing their prey. My father had made a deal with them that if they stayed on their own land, and didn’t enter the castle gates that we wouldn’t hunt them and killed them. Once a person reached a certain point in the woods, the person was open for attack. Most people took the back ways, but some still risked the shorter journey through the wolf territory.

I had nightmares about the evil creatures. I was a little kid when I got attacked by one of the wolves. This was before my father made the deal with them. I was playing alone in the gardens when out of nowhere a wolf attacked me. I came out of it with only a few scratches and luckily no bites. If I had been bitten I would have been turned into a werewolf by the next full moon.

I stopped looking around and listened for the sound again. When it didn’t come I turned and entered back into my bedroom. I closed the glass doors behind me. I was on the second story of the castle and no one would reach my balcony unless they were superhuman. None of the werewolves had tried, so I didn’t know for sure if the height would keep them out.

I walked over to my bed and felt the soft canopy that surrounded it. My purple comforter was lying partially in the floor. I picked it up and threw it on my bed. I quickly made my bed and grabbed my dress off the end of it.

I walked over to the mirror to admire myself after I had finished dressing. I had a baby blue, tight fitting low cut dress on. I had the perfect curves in all the right places and I was really skinny. I looked really good in the dress.

“Your father wishes to see you now.” One of the slaves hollered through my door. I rolled my eyes and made my way over to the door. I cast one more look at my reflection and saw that everything, from my hair to my shoes, were in perfect order. I nodded in satisfaction before opening my door and sealing my fate.

I walked down the silent hallway to my father’s chambers. He was probably in his study so I knocked politely on the door before entering. “Ah, Paige, come in.” my father spoke. There were two men in suits standing in front of my father’s desk.

“You asked for me father?” I ask him, bowing to show my respect. My father nodded and motioned me forward. One of the men turned and looked at me. I saw him grin and reveal canine teeth. I gasp and step back. My father shows embarrassment.

“Come here Paige. Don’t be rude to our guests.” My father motions for me to take one of the seats in front of his large wooded desk. I complied.

“Honey, the council has made a pact with the wolves.” My father began. He always referred to the werewolves as wolves. “We have to give one of our young ladies up to them to mate with one of the known alphas around here. There are three alphas that are willing to participate. The deal is that if they take the girl to be their mate, then they will offer protection to the castle and not eat the people leaving or coming. The wolves are running low on females and only about five are left in all the packs. They are quite desperate. The council has chosen who will go.” Here my father goes quiet.

“It’s not Annabelle is it?” that was my younger sister. My father shakes his head. “It’s not Kaitlyn is it?” she was my best friend. Again my father shakes his head. I look up at him and he looks on at my sadly. I then figure out who I think it is. “It’s me isn’t it?” I ask quietly. My voice cracks in the middle of the sentence. My father nods his head and I feel hot. I grab onto the seat tighter as I start to feel light headed.

“Father, you wouldn’t.” I say. My father turns and won’t meet my eyes. The men turn to look at me and smirk. I watch as the farthest one away from me takes a look at my whole frame and then looks up into my eyes. His eyes are a solid black and I cower away from him.

I start feeling light headed again and soon I’m falling into blackness. I feel arms catch me, but after that it’s all black.

I wake up a time later and look around. I’m in my room lying on my bed. I look up and see my father sitting on the end of my bed. He looks over at me as I stir. “Good, you’re awake. I need to speak with you some more on the matter. The other men left. They will return in a week’s time to collect you. Those are two of the alphas that are willing to participate. Did you get a good look at either of them?” I was about to shake my head when I remembered the one that had the solid black eyes. I shrug.

“Do I have to do this father? Aren’t there any other girls willing to do it?” I knew the answer as soon as I asked the question; I just wanted to hear him say it. I felt tears come to my eyes as he shook his head. I was going to be forced to marry an animal.

“I’m sorry honey, but this is how it has to be. I hate that I have to send me eldest, beautiful daughter, but it is all I can do. I’m sorry it has to be like this. The alphas have sworn to protect you and take good care of you. Nothing will happen to you. I’m afraid I have more bad news.” This time he looks me in the eyes. I try to discern what emotion is showing in his eyes, but I cannot tell. “You will have to choose one of the alphas in less than two months. They will mark you and make you their mate. If they only mark you and another chooses you and mates with you, then the other person is no longer your mate. They have to make you their mate in a traditional way. That is the only way that you can become their mate. After that, you are stuck with them and none can touch you without answering to your mate.” He says.

“How do you know all this about them?” I ask. I watch as he tenses.

“No reason, I was just curious and thought I would ask before I sent you there.” He lies easily. I can only tell he’s lying, because of the second hesitation at the beginning of the sentence. “I’ll leave you to get ready. Have all your bags packed and everything in order before the last second. You never know, they could come early.” He says. I nod and turn away from him. He’s not even acting like a real father should. He’s willingly giving me away and doesn’t even feel sorry about it. I question his rights as my real father.

I turn as I hear the door close and see that my father has left me without another word. I bury my head in my pillows and cry. I eventually fall asleep, wishing that this day would never end. Then i remember that today's my brithday and not even my family noticed...