A Forbidden Love

Chapter Seven: Questions Answered

Chapter Seven: Questions Answered

I woke up in my bed with the covers over me, and a person lying next to me. I quickly roll over to see who it is. I immediately calm when I meet Ash’s blue eyes. “Good morning.” I say. He smiles as I move closer to him.

“Good morning. I came back last night to explain things, but you were asleep when I got here.” Ash explains. I nod and bury my face in his warm shirtless chest. Ash wraps his arms around me and pulls me closer.

“Why did he do that? Why do I always get in terrible situations?” I ask no one in particular.

“He wanted only one thing and didn’t care how he had to get it. Raiden’s been around for a while and has always craved a mate worse than anyone else. He won’t mess with anyone ever again, I promise.” Ash answers my question.

“What happened to him? Did you get into any trouble?” I ask, raising my head to look at him. He meets my eyes.

“Raiden is dead. Nathan took care of him. He couldn’t control himself when I told him what happened. I promise that I didn’t kill him. I didn’t get into any trouble.” Ash says. My eyes widen in shock and I stare at Ash.

“He’s dead?”

“Yes.”

I bury my head in Ash’s chest once more and start to cry. Ash hugs me close and rests his chin on top of my head.

“I didn’t like the guy, but I didn’t wish death upon him.” I get out between sobs. After several minutes I finally calm down. “I have many questions, will you answer them?”

“I will try my best.” I nod, getting the best answer out of him that I would.

“First off, how long does a female werewolf stay pregnant?” That question had been in my head for a long time.

“Usually for about a week or two. We grow way faster than humans. Just looking at me you would think I’m at least twenty something, but in werewolf days I’m only 17. Human days I’m 21. It depends on how you look at it. I was a turned werewolf. Nathan is my friend and he is the one that turned me. In a sense, we are kinda like brothers.” Ash explains. I nod, finally getting it a little. It was still confusing, but I would understand it one day.

“Next question, How many days do I have till I have to pick a mate?” I ask. This was another question I definitely wanted answered.

“You have exactly 15 days left. You will be taken to the other pack tomorrow, unless of course if they come to get you early. Then it might come to a fight, but I don’t know.”

“Ok then, how exactly do you claim a mate?” I ask.

“Well first you usually mark the female. A certain kind of bond comes between the two and they can feel other’s emotions. Sometimes when it’s a really strong bond, like one formed from love, the male can sense when the female is in danger and can sometimes hear her voice. It’s strange and no one has had it happen to them.” Ash looks away from my eyes, not meeting them. I stare at him, not saying a word until he looks at me.

“Continue, I know that can’t be it.” I urge him.

“The mark is usually a bite on the neck and becomes a scar. If the female is marked to many times she will die. The maximum amount is 3 bites. Most of the time that doesn’t happen as usually only the strongest males get females, and can easily defend them. The second part of the ritual is that you mix blood. This will turn the female into a werewolf if she is human. If she is a werewolf already then it will make you smell like each other. The same will happen to the human, but you have to wait a day before the change is complete. Then you may take the females blood again and mix it with yours to make her smell like you once she is a werewolf. A bond that was created during the marking of your mate will become stronger and you will be able to talk to one another in your minds and block out other people from listening in. It is good for up to ten miles. That way if the female gets in any danger the male can easily locate her. The third part of the ritual is that the female and the male become one. That is done by sex. Once that is completed then the female is claimed and can only be stolen if the male dies or is killed.”

“Wow. Are you sure there isn’t anything else?” I ask.

“Well the only time that a mate can be taken is in the middle of the blood part and the marking part. If a female is marked then another male can still steal her. If she is fully claimed then they will have to kill the male. The only other time to steal the female is to exchange blood with her and put your own mark on her. That has only happened twice. I don’t think it will happen to you, but it might. You may be forced to become one’s mate, but I won’t let that happen. I will let you choose.” Ash promised me. I nod.

“Do you have any other questions?” he asks me after a few moments of silence. I think before I answer.

“When I choose a mate will the others fight over me or let me be?” I ask, dreading the answer.

“There will be a fight. Only the strongest will be left standing.” Ash answers truthfully. I mentally wish it were him that would win, but knew that could never happen. He wasn’t an alpha and wouldn’t meet the standards.

I couldn’t’ believe that I only had fifteen days left. What was I going to do? The only male that I was anywhere close to choosing was off limits.

“I don’t like this. I know who I want, but I can’t have him.” I mumble, hoping that Ash doesn’t hear me. I know he heard me when he tensed.

“Who is it?” Ash asks. I was about to lie to him when the door is opened. Nathan enters looking first at Ash then at me.

“Take your hands off her and leave this room.” Nathan commands Ash. Ash only nods and gets up. I watch with sad eyes as he leaves, lowering his head as he passes Nathan.

“What were you two doing in here?” Nathan asks suspiciously.

“He was answering some questions that I forgot to ask you. Nothing happened.” I say. I realize that I had still forgotten to ask him how he knew I was in danger… oh well… I’d do it another time.

“I am having you moved out of this room. It is too far from my room. I am having you sleep in my room. Go down stairs and eat breakfast.” Nathan used his alpha voice and I found I could not refuse. I nodded and reluctantly went down stairs. I hugged the thin shirt to me as a cold blast of air hit me from the opened door.

I would not sleep in his room. I would eat breakfast, but I would not be put in that position. If I had to I would sneak and stay in a different room in one of the other houses. Nathan would never find me. That’s what I am going to do. I decide to myself. With my plan all done in my head I sat down at the bar and looked at Josh who was cooking breakfast.

“That smells good. What is it?” I ask.

“Bacon and sausage.” He answers. He doesn’t face me so I can’t see his expression. By the way that he is holding himself he looks like he’s depressed.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for him to get hurt. I didn’t know that Nathan was going to kill him.” I say, trying to get him to forgive me. I know that he blames me.

“It’s not really our fault. You didn’t do anything. Raiden was the one that did the wrong. He should never had tried to rape you. I’m just glad that Ash got to you in time. I still have no idea how in the world he knew you were in trouble when Charlie, James and I were sitting down the stairs and didn’t even know.” Josh shakes his head and hands me a plate with two patties of sausage and two slices of bacon. I stick the bacon in my mouth and chew.

I had been wondering the same thing. Could it be possible that Ash heard me in his mind? No that couldn’t be possible. Only mates could do that and we weren’t mates. “That is totally understandable. I don’t know how he did it either, but I’m thankful none the less.” I say.

I start to think about when I could set my plan in action when I remember I haven’t seen Anna in a while. I decide to go visit her. I get up after putting my dish in the sink and eating all my food, and walk out the door. Josh doesn’t try to stop me, just keeps an eye on me as I walk down the middle of the houses and stop at the female’s house.

I knock on the door, not knowing if I should just walk in or not. I am met with a reply, “Come in.” I open the door and step in. I walk down to Anna’s room and find her sitting on the bed, looking better than what she did the other day.

“Hello Paige, how are you?” Anna asks me. I smile at her.

“I’m doing fine. The real question is, how are you?” she laughs.

“I’m fine. I’m just a little tired. Dawn kept me up last night. She’s getting better though I guess. I can’t wait till she’s old enough to change. I can’t wait to see her fur color. It’s either going to be her dad’s or a mix of both of our coats.” Anna looks dreamily out the window.

“Has the father came and visited yet?” I ask. She shakes her head.

“No, he won’t be able to come and visit them until I am at my full potential. It should be in the next few days. Werewolves heal quickly.” She says.

“How fast do they heal and how does the time differ?” I ask.

“Well if we are bit by another werewolf it can take up to two hours depending on the bite to heal. If we are just scratched or something by a tree or something like that it can take up to five minutes depending on the severity. The only thing that takes days for us to heal is a silver bullet wound. We can only be killed by another werewolf or a hunter’s shot. Usually hunter’s have silver bullets in their guns and when they shoot us it can be deadly. IF we are hit in the head or heart we die instantly. If we are injured anywhere else it all depends. Usually when mates are mated they can feel and take on each other’s pain. IT helps with the healing. If a mate were in trouble and about to die from the silver’s poisoning, then the other mate can take on the mate’s pain and some of the poison into them. It usually works, though some have taken too much and both have died.” Anna explains. I listen intently, hoping to catch on to some things.

“Has anyone in your pack been shot by a hunter?” I ask. She nods.

“Yes, we had a werewolf named Dragon in this pack and he died from a bullet wound. He didn’t have a mate though. Only few werewolves have mates. I can’t wait to see who you will pick. I bet it’s a hard choice between all those strong alphas.” She says, looking once more dreamy like.

Instead of pictures of the alphas I find a picture of Ash fill my mind. I know that I must push him aside and get on with my task, but I can’t help but feel drawn to him. Anna seems to notice my confusion and discomfort.

“What’s wrong child?” she asks me. I ignore the name she gave me, seeing that I am older than her, and answer her question.

“I am just so confused. I don’t know what to do.” I answer. Anna was about to answer when there is a howl. Anna’s eyes fill with terror and she grabs her son and daughter in her arms. “What’s wrong?” I ask.

“We’re under attack.” She says. She moves to a closed door and opens it. She sets her children on a pile of blankets in the closet and stations herself in front of the door. I move over toward her just as the door is thrown open.

Nathan walks through the door. He has blood on him, but I see no cuts. I realize that it is other werewolf’s blood on him.

Ash’s POV

As soon as I hear the howl I run out of my room and out the door. I see a stranger werewolf making it’s way toward Nathan’s house. I think of Paige and tackle it from the side. I catch it by surprise and soon have it running back the way it came. I recognize a rogue scent, not one of the packs. I look around, trying to find Nathan or Paige. I had a duty to Nathan and had to protect him as his beta, but I also wanted to protect Paige. I tried to sense her mind as I had heard her voice the night before but I couldn’t. I wasn’t her mate and couldn’t’ do that with her. Though I have no idea how we did it last night.

In the middle of my thoughts a wolf tackles me from the side. I catch a whiff of Paige’s scent on him and growl low in my throat. I shrug the wolf off and turn to face it. I catch it’s scent and realize it’s a female rogue. Those are very rare. I sniff again and recognize another scent on her. She’s mated.

Go back from where you came from I growl. She ignores me and tries to unbalance me by jumping up then landing fast and swiping a paw at my legs. I easily sidestep her and make a move of my own. I fake a swipe and jump on her back. I bite into her scruff until she’s begging for mercy. I let her go and she follows the other rogue away from our camp.

I run to the female’s house as I see a strange wolf enter. I fun past some of my own pack fighting against rogue wolves. We have never heard of this happening. Them must have known we had a female waiting to be mated, but still. Never had rogues worked together. All around me rogue scent mixed with my own pack’s scent.

It got quiet as I entered the female’s house. I could hear breathing and noticed it was human. I sniffed the air and picked up Paige’s scent. She was here.

“Don’t move.” I hear coming from Anna’s room. I slowly approach the partially opened door. I peak through to the scene before me. Anna is blocking the closet door where I assume her pups are. Two guys are stalking toward her. I then realize why they are there. They want the born female werewolf in their rogue pack. They want to make the rogues stronger. I am about to enter when I see Paige and Nathan.

Nathan is on the ground bleeding from several cuts and looks worn out. Three wolves are standing around him. Paige is being held by the throat by who looks like their leader.

“Give us the baby.” One of the one’s approaching Anna say. She growls and swipes a clawed hand at him. She was only partially turned into her wolf form.

I wait until one of the wolves get close enough for me to attack. It just happens to end up being the wolf that is holding Paige. He was moving toward the door to escape. I lunge at him, giving Nathan the distraction he needed. I bite down on the guys shoulder and he releases Paige. Nathan grabs Paige and puts her behind him. He attacks the wolf closest to him and kills him easily.

As the leader turns back to me after tossing me off I see the pure rage in his view. I growl at him, tempting him to attack. He is blinded by rage and attacks. In mid air Nathan launches at him. He hits him in the side and buries his teeth in the now turned werewolf’s neck.

Paige moves closer to Anna as I walk over to them. I stand next to Anna. The door opens and three more rogues come in the door.

“Get the baby.” One of them command. They come toward Anna and me. I place myself closest to the closet door. I hear howls and screams of pain coming from outside, but I don’t take my eyes off of the wolves approaching us.

“Give us the baby and no one gets hurt.” The one who spoke earlier says. I growl and take a step forward. One of the wolves attacks Anna without a warning. She screams in pain before completing her change. She is a brown wolf with a hint of red in her.

Before I can help her two of the others wolves attack me. I am soon hidden under a pile of fur and claws.

Paige’s POV

I watch as ash is attacked by two of the wolves. I look around for something to protect myself when I hear crying. One of the wolves breaks away from Ash and look at the door hungrily. I hurry my search, but come up with nothing. The wolf changes back to human form and walks over to the door. He opens it and peers in. I do the only thing I can think of. I throw myself at him. I knew I had to protect the baby and that is the only way I could.

“Get off of me.” The stranger reaches over his back and grabs on to my shirt. He then pulls me off of him and onto the floor. I hit my head and my vision blurs. I hear Anna howl and watch as she launches herself at the man holding her baby girl. The baby goes flying and I reach out and catch it. I hold it close to me and take off out the door. I run to one of the closed doors and open it. I slam the door and lock it behind me. I turn around only to discover two wolves stalking toward me. I scream as they leap.