‹ Prequel: Turn Right

Into My Arms

201 Things

We ended up stopping at a nearby park that Miley, Noah, Nick and I would always come to for walks when we used to hang out all together…what happened to those days? I was still in shock by what was happening…as Nick came around and opened the door for me. I got out. We started to walk side by side on the side walk. We were silent.

“So…what’s going on? Out of no where you just show up…” I mumbled, avoiding his gaze.

“Lets just say…I’ve been thinking about you…more than ever…and I just couldn’t stay away,” he smirked at me as I felt myself blush.

“I threw the dog tag you gave me for Christmas 2007 and the ring you gave me for my birthday into the ocean,” I admitted quietly when I tried to make a face of triumph but it turned into a tremulous look, afraid of what he would say.

He was silent…and I couldn’t read his expression because I was avoiding his eyes. But then his laugh filled my ears. “What’s so funny?” I asked him, sneering lightly, his way.

“You….you’re just really cute when you make faces like those,” he said and I wasn’t sure if he was shy saying it or just telling me.

“Nick Jonas, I really think you’re bi-polar sometimes,” I told him and he laughed again as I crossed my arms. “Why are you laughing?” I demanded but now I was laughing too.

He laughed really hard which caused me to laugh. “Nick!” I laughed. He calmed down a little. “You’re so weird,” I giggled and nudged him.

We were actually being civil with each other…no yelling…no attitudes. I think deep down inside…we’ll always stay best friends.

"Oh! This little girl wanted me to tell you she said hi," I remembered as I showed him the picture on my phone. "Isnt she so cute?" i asked him.

"Very," he agreed as he looked like he was analyzing the picture.

“So why did you really come find me?” I asked him, shyly, putting my phone away.

“I told you…I was thinking about you…you really don’t know what today is…do you,” he inquired with a small smile.

I gave him a look. We stopped walking and he faced me. “Happy eight year friend-i-versary,” he said as he held out a rectangular box to me.

“Joe and Kevin were going to surprise you at your concert tonight…but I wanted to get you alone and give you this,” he said, smiling.

I opened it slowly and it was a watch. Not just any watch though…it was a watch with a picture of me with Nick, Joe and Kevin smiling big smiles.

“Nick…how the hell did you do this?” I asked him.

“I just asked for it to be custom made…I looked it up on the internet and saw they do stuff like this…so I thought I’d get one for you”

“It’s amazing! I love it. It’s so cool!” I exaggerated and he continued to smile at me.

“I thought you’d like it”

“Put it on me?” I asked him and he happily did so. It fit my wrist perfectly.

“You told me once that if we were to ever break up…we would still always be best friends forever…and that even when you‘re mad at me I can still always talk to you…” he reminded me.

“Yes, I did say that…and it still stands…you can always talk to me” I told him. “Is this what you came to get me for? To remind me about all of this and to give me this amazing watch?” I asked him. He nodded.

“It’s been bothering me…ever since Valentine’s Day…but Joe and Kevin thought I should give you space…so that’s what I’ve been doing…but today, I couldn’t…especially not when Kevin and Joe would be seeing you…and I wouldn’t be…again…you really went through a lot to not get me face-to-face,” he laughed lightly.

“Every time I came back home, I found out somehow that you were hanging out with mom, Frankie…they would be talking about you, thinking I didn’t hear…but I did…and I knew about you hanging with Kevin, Danielle and Joe…but I guess you could guess how I found that one out”

“Yea…” I laughed lightly. “Paparazzi seem to find something new to say about me every day,” I joked and yet complained at the same time. He laughed lightly. Then it was silent…and we continued to walk.

This time, it was my turn to stop us from walking and get in front of him. “I’ve missed you,” I admitted. He was silent. I continued walking and he was at my side. He laughed under his breath.

“I’ve missed you being my best friend…I love Demi, you know that…and I miss Miley incredibly…and Anna has her own stuff so I don’t want to be bothering her with my own crap…and you know how Taylor can be, she’s busy but never too busy for friends but she turns a situation into a fantasy…and I love that about her…Demi always has my back and is always there for me when I just want to chill out and eat ice cream…and Miley takes my place as the advice giver when I need it…but for some reason…talking to all of them is no where near the same as talking to you…and I’ve missed it,” I babbled a little…but I had to tell someone.

I got the courage to look at him and he was smiling at me…waiting for me to continue…so I did. “And I know my dad’s around now and he’s there for me more than I ever dreamed of…but I have a lot of crap going on and I feel like you’re the only one who has known me the longest and the only one who would actually know what I’m talking about when I vent…just like I’m doing now,” I laughed.

“I hate you for not being around to talk to”

“Hey! I thought I was giving you what you wanted!” he claimed.

I laughed under my breath and went to take another step but Nick grabbed my wrist to stop me. He spun me around to face him.

“You can call me whenever you need to…you know I’ll listen….because I know you’d do the same for me”

“And don’t you forget it,” I poked him in the chest.

He smiled and pulled me into a hug. I went on my tippy toes and wrapped my arms around his neck as he wrapped his arms tightly around my waist. I clenched onto the back of his shirt lightly and used my other hand to get some of the back of his curls…I held onto him as if he would disappear again. But he held onto me…as if I was fragile class…like I would break…but then he began to hug me tighter and pulling me closer to him like I’d be gone in a minute…not a chance. I’ve made so many mistakes…and Nick has over-looked them…I’ve hurt him…but he’s ignoring that fact…I know I want to be with him…but does he want to be with me? I never know with this boy.

We pulled away and I looked deep into his eyes. He cleared his throat and we continued to walk. “I feel bad now because I didn’t get you guys anything. I cant believe I forgot! Ugh!” I complained and he laughed.

“Umm…I have something else to give you,” he said.

He went into his pocket and took out a folded piece of paper. “What is this?” I asked him.

“A fan asked me to write 201 things I love about you and Miley and post them…you know I’ll always love Miley, that’s why I’m telling you this, just in case you see it on the internet but you’re my first love, plus you and I never have any secrets and the lists aren’t the same…I wrote them out first…I want you to have it…and know that each and every one of them is true…” he babbled a little.

I gave him a look as I began to unfold it. “Joe told me you’ve been feeling a little insecure lately…you shouldn’t though…” I began to skim over all of them.

“You really came up with 201 things…”

“I’d come up with more but I didn’t want to overwhelm you,” he smirked and I eyed him as I rolled my eyes at his cheesiness.

“Number 14: The way she looks at me like I’m the only one she sees…number 22: the way she laughs at a joke even when it isn’t funny, just to make the other person feel good…” I laughed lightly.

“Number 36: how she loves to just lay in the grass outside and stare up at the stars…number 57: how she kisses me and makes it feel special and worth-while…number 77: how my whole family loves her more than they love me…” I laughed.

“Number 94: how she doesn’t care what other people think about her and what she believes in…number 159: the way she loves me for me….number 166: the way she cares for everything and everyone around her…number 180: her modesty…number 183:the way I can cuddle with her for hours and have nothing else in the world matter…number 197: the way she listens to me talk and doesn’t just wait for her turn to speak…number 201...the way she stole my heart…”

I was breathless. “Nick…this is…” I couldn’t form my words.

“We better get you to the venue…I wouldn’t want you to be late for Rachael & Miley time…number 18: the fact that she does everything in her power to get to a place on time when it comes to friends…and number 19: how she always puts everyone before herself...you always do that when it comes to my concerts…and I think you’re a dork for being like that…but I still love it…so come on,” he said and nodded his head back in the direction we came.

I followed him. I couldn’t help but be in a daze as I followed him back to the car. He opened the door for me and I got in. He drove me to the venue and walked me inside.

“Oh! Rachael! There you…” Anna started to say as she walked over to us. “Oh…hey Nick,” she said.

“Hey Anna…I was just dropping Rea off…I’ll see you later,” he smiled and gave me a hug before leaving.

I opened my mouth to stop him…to yell his name…but as I kept looking between him and my list, no words came out. “What’s that?” she asked me.

“Umm nothing…just a list…” I told her and put it in my back pocket. “Okay…well come on, lets do sound check,” she said and I walked up onto the stage.

I started to run through some things with my band and stage crew for lighting and positions and everything. “Hey Rea, before we get some fans in here to do a sound check…you have a visitor,” Anna said.

The out of no where Miley comes running, passed Anna, and onto the stage. “Rachael!” she gasped. “Oh my god. Miley!” I squealed and she ran into me, hugging me tight as I hugged back and we jumped around.

“It’s been way too long,” she murmured.

“Got that right,” I agreed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miley was hanging back stage in my dressing room while I answered fans’ questions. I was usually way more connective with my fans but I don’t think I was in it too much tonight. I had a lot on my mind and I just wanted to go back stage to hang out with my best friend. I apologized to them too, they seemed really understanding for the most part. As soon as my part was done and they had to let other people start coming onto the stage, I ran back and into my dressing room where Miley was reading a magazine on the couch. She jumped up and gave me a big hug.

“Lets go get some Starbucks,” she suggested.

“Love to,” We hooked arms and walked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I dont think we should leave anymore concerts to get Starbucks!” I told her as we were running down the sidewalk.

It wasn’t just because paparazzi was chasing after us but it was also because I was going to be late. “Remember last time!?” she smiled. “Of course I do!”

Flashback

Obviously I remembered it, it was the first day of the Best of Both Worlds Tour, my first ever tour! Just a few minutes before the concert and Miley and I were still only close to being ready. During our break, we went to do a quick Starbucks run but we ended up being late, getting back because we were mobbed by paparazzi. So we ran down the hallway, following Anna and Billy Ray and Nick, Joe and Kevin all came out of their room but stayed out of the way so we could run pass them.

“You’re both not ready?!” Nick exclaimed as I shuved my drink into his hand and Miley did the same to Joe and we kept running.

“We’ll be ready!” I shouted back at him.

“Hurry!” Anna shouted and we picked up the pace.

“You girls really love procrastinating,” Billy Ray added.

“You know it daddy,” Miley said and the two of us ran into our dressing room and shut the door quickly.

We both changed into our outfits like our lives depended on it as we heard the guys go on stage to start their performance. Then we both sat in front of each other and I began to do her makeup as she began to do mine. We had already talked to professionals about what we should wear under the lighting but we had no time to actually get professionals in to do it themselves so we started doing it.

“Two minutes until the guys finish,” Anna warned.

“Already?!” we both shrieked but shot up.

We looked at each other. “Awesome,” we both complemented and ran out of the room.

I was fixing my belt that was around my waist and Miley was fixing her ‘Hannah’ wig. We turned a corner and we both slid and stumbled a little but we kept going as we started laughing. Joe and Kevin ran around a corner and we almost collided but we all swerved and kept going and I was quickly set up on the side of the stage and was given an ear piece. I could see the crowd and I heard Nick talking and the screaming was almost unbearable, it was so crazy!

“…this next one is new and you’ll all be the first to hear it life, but in order for it to go smoothly, I’ll need all of your help to bring her out here…ladies and gentlemen please welcome to the stage…Rachael Lewis!” Nick announced and the screams got louder.

I felt like my head was going to explode but I shook off the feeling and ran onto the stage. Nick ran over to the key board as I took center stage and the music started playing so I started singing.


End Flashback

That was a major date and I’ll never forget it…especially since Nick and I sang What If together for like the first time together. I was on tour with my best friends…how could I forget?

“I guess some habits never change,” we both said at the same time and then started laughing.
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333