Dear You: Sincerely, Me

Dear Big Brother

Ann, being an optimist, took her situation with him. She took the next day with a brand new enthusiasm. She practically skipped with this new change she'd put in effect after she'd cried herself to sleep, Derek holding her close to him. She smiled at everyone she met and sang as she worked, catching the worry of several of her co-workers. They weren't sure how to handle Ann's new sunny demeanor. Her students just took it to be a good day for her. She smiled, picking up her next two letters from her mailbox and heading for her classroom, read as she walked.

Dear Big Brother,
When I think about your name, I get chills up my spine and a horrible feeling in my chest. All you cared about was your marijuana and your alcohol. I remember when we were close. I remember when you cared about me. I remember when you would hold me and tell me everything was going to be okay on the rare occasion that dad was back from Florida, and mom and dad would fight. I remember when you would lie to me about the men mom was sleeping with to protect me. I remember when we used to watch movies together and I remember when you'd threaten to kick anyone's ass who ever hurt me. And then you become the person who started hurting me.

I can't remember exactly when it started. You were probably around nineteen. I was thirteen or fourteen. We had both always been so much closer to dad. The only reason we never went to go live with him and grandma in Florida was because we both had lives here. You started drinking and smoking. No, not cigarettes, for those are addictive. You never did the addictive things. You started smoking joints and bongs and bowls, and when you were drunk or high, you didn't care. At first I didn't mind, because it was only once in a while, but then it became everyday. 24/7. Then you started to hit me whenever you felt that I did something wrong.

Despite this, I loved you. You were my brother. The day that you died, it still broke my heart. I remember everything crystal clear. I remember when Bobby came and told us you were dead. I remember feeling so scared and confused. I remember wondering how it happened. I remember when Bobby told us you were hit by a train. I remember how I felt when I found out that he could have saved you. I remember staying up all night crying, shaking, and unable to breathe, only wanting to talk to two people. You were one of them. I knew that couldn't happen. So I talked to the only other person who I hoped would be there for me. I talked to the man I love. The man who doesn't love me back.

I just want to tell you that despite all of the times I hid from you, I loved you, and I know that you loved me, even if you stopped showing it. I know because it wasn't you hitting me and putting me down, it was the drugs. It was the alcohol. Your vision was blurred by it. Truthfully, you were a good person. Barely 21 when you died, you were the last person to deserve it. I miss you so much, big brother, and I'll never forget you.

Love regardless,
Little Sis.


Ann smiled and unlocked her door, flicking the lights on. She was glad she still had her older brother, Charles. He's a sweetheart, Ann thought, setting yet another read letter into her manila folder and moved on.
♠ ♠ ♠
this one was written by a reader but requested me to keep this anonymous. So thank you to... that person. :D

-kayt