Status: And we're back!

Family Tradition

Four

"What are you thinking about?" Alina asked as we stood along the side of one of the few small clubs in South Boston.

"Nothing really," I said, watching the street around us.

"Bullshit."

"Just thinking about Jimmy and things like that," I answered quietly. We had visited our parents earlier in the day and had passed by an old friends house. All three of us had been best friends growing up. We had spent almost all our summers together, on year we had seen each other for nearly two months straight.

"I wonder how he's doing," Alina said, a thoughtful look on her face.

"Yeah me too," I said, blowing a puff of cigarette smoke out of my mouth slowy.

"Remember that time we pissed his mom off?" Alina asked with a laugh and I couldn't help but smile at the memory. There was only one time we had pissed Jimmys mom off, otherwise she was in love with us. But one day, when we were all maybe 10 years old, we were all playing outside his house in the middle of summer. We had heard all about the Saints of South Boston on the news and decided that's what we wanted to play that day. It was perfect, Jimmy, Alina and I were the Saints, while our friend Brian was the unsuspecting victim. Perfect, that is, until Jimmy's mom happened to glance out the window to see what we were doing.

She had nearly had a stroke it seemed, when she realized what we were actually playing. Even though it was harmless kid stuff, she still decided to drag Alina and I to our houses, which were conveniently right next to each other. The best part about the whole situation, in my 10 year old opinion and even still in my 21 year old opinion, was the fact that our moms didn't even seem to care. Jimmy's mom was nearly in hysterics as she explained how it happened, and I'm not sure my mom said more than a little 'oh that's nice' or something to that effect. It took Jimmy's mom nearly 3 weeks to get over it, but before you knew it, she was back to treating us like her own daughters again.

"I really hope Jimmy's doing okay," I said quietly as I stepped towards the curb, looking up and down the street for our ride. My moms friend had offered to drive us to the club, seeing as it wasn't the best part of Boston we were at, so we didn't want to get our car stolen.

"Where the hell is he? We've been here for nearly ten minutes!" Alina complained and I shook my head, walking a little ways down, but not too far.

"Hey sweetie, what are you doin' out here all alone?" I closed my eyes before turning around to see a group of guys hitting on Alina. "What, you're just gunna ignore me like a bitch?"

I sucked in a breath of air as I started walking back towards my cousin, noticing one of the three guys grab her sleeve, tearing it in the process. I felt myself tense up as I made my way over. I stuck my cigarette in between my lips and tried to look calm, even though I could tell my eyes were blazing. I only felt my anger grow as I noticed a guy push Alina against the wall, causing her to wince.

" 'scuse me boys, there a problem here?" I asked loudly and they all turned to look at me.

"Move along Honey, this doesn't concern you."

"Oh but I think it does. You see, you messed with my cousin there. Which, in turn, makes it so you also messed with me. Now I suggest you leave her alone."

"Johnny, take care of her," one of the guys said, offhandedly. I watched as one of the guys pulled something out of his pocket before advancing on me. He flipped it open and I realized it was a knife, but I stood my ground.

"We've got us a pretty brave bitch here," Johnny said as he laughed. I waited for the perfect oppertunity and when he he went to stab me, I grabbed his wrist. He yelled out in pain when I nearly snapped it backwards and grabbed the knife. He had fallen down to his knees, so I pointed the knife right in between his eyes.

"You better get the fuck out of here before I rethink this one, asshole," I spat and he scrambled to get up before running away. I tossed the knife behind me as I looked at the other two men. One was watching me while the other pinned a struggling Alina against the wall.

"You wouldn't have done it," The one looking at me said.

"Excuse me?"

"You wouldn't have stabbed him, you don't have the guts," He said as I tried to figure out where I'd seen his face before.

"Oh, you're right. I wouldn't have stabbed him," I said and he smirked.

"John's just a pussy. Afraid of a girl who can't even injure someone." Then I realized where I had seen him before. I had seen his picture on the news not too long ago. He had raped a 13 year old girl and managed to get away wit it.

"No, I just don't like using knives, they're pussy weapons."

"What do you prefer, then?" He asked, a hint of amusement in his ton.

"This," I said as I pulled out a small gun from my pocket. "Now I suggest you step away from my cousin before someone gets seriously harmed."

"You won't do it," He scoffed. I looked over and noticed teh other guy release Alina slowly.

"Your friend over there seems to think otherwise," I said, smiling as he turned to glare at the man who was slowly inchign away.

"I can't believe you're afraid of this bitch!" He said, pulling out his own knife and turned back to me. I rolled my eyes and heard Alina make a noise as I pulled the trigger three times. I stepped towards his body on the ground, kicking his knife away.

"I won't do what now?" I asked, smiling down at him before looking up to his friend. "You better get yoru ass out of here before you end up like this asshole who apparentally never heard the term 'never bring a knife to a gun fight'." His friend scurried off in the other direction and I made my way over to Alina, slipping the gun back in my pocket.

"What the fuck? I can't believe that just fuckin' happened!" She exclaimed, looking from the man, then back up at me. "And since when do you carry a fucking gun?!"

"I've had one for a few years now," I said and she just nodded.

"You have a permit and all that shit?"

"Oh yeah," I said, noticing a silver Charger turn onto the street a couple blocks down. "Come on, there's our ride."
♠ ♠ ♠
weeeeeeeeeeeee(: