‹ Prequel: Skin and Bones
Status: Hiatus

Eat My Heart Out

Grateful

I yell a last goodbye to Ray, before he pulls out onto the busy road again and drives off. I start my short walk down my street.

I let the tiny bit of sun that’s shining through the dark clouds warm my face as I breathe in the sweet scent of early freedom.

It’s so quiet.

I almost don’t wanna go home. My next exam is an entire week away, so I could easily take a day off and do nothing. I could go to the park or something, but I’ve never been very outdoorsy.

I reach my house and stick the key in the bottom lock, only to find it unlocked already. I frown briefly, then open the top lock and push the door open.

“Hello?” my dad’s voice resonates from the living room.

“Hi!” I yell back and drop my things on the floor before I kick off my shoes. I poke my head into the living room, wave and then pick up my backpack to go down to my room.

“Gerard?” I freeze, sigh silently and turn around. Just when I thought I would have a nice hour and a half home alone, my dad’s home. And just when I thought I could make a quick escape, he gets curious.

I step into the living room, my backpack hanging by my side.

“What’re you doing home?” he asks, his voice filled with dominance. I don’t even look at his eyes – knowing they’re judging and disbelieving – and instead try to read the news off the front page of the newspaper in his hands.

“My teacher got sick, so the principle let us go home to study,” I answer indifferently.

Yet another kind of food can supposedly give me cancer and kill me. Big news.

I look up at my dad’s eyes, finding them more interesting than the paper.

He nods at me.

I’m about to turn around when;

“I expect you to do well on your exams,” he says. I give him a slightly questioning look.
“Your mom and I talked, and even though you’re not going to college, you are gonna get good grades. Just in case you gonna need them later,” he explains, a cocky tone in his voice. My questioning look disappears and is replaced by a paralyzed face – it’s the only face I can make to keep myself from rolling my eyes, baring my teeth and frowning deeply.

“Of course,” I say, putting fake enthusiasm in my voice. Not even a naïve 5-year-old would consider my enthusiasm realistic.

“Don’t use that tone of voice,” my dad says calmly and goes back to reading his paper.

“Sorry,” I mumble, before I turn around. As I leave the room, the guilt chases after me. With each step I take, it comes closer and when I’m out in the hallway on my way towards the basement stairs, the guilt has latched onto my back – its claws digging in deep.

Thanks dad. Thank you so much.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fillyyy!!! =o
Sorryyy!!! =P

Thank you all for your comments! You guys are awesome for commenting in such an excessive amount that I'll soon be forced to fetch the rottwilers to keep you people away from that 'submit'-button. =D

And while on the subject, congratulations to Ninja_Misfit_Shawn for being commenter #100!! Wee! She's a real keeper (I can't keep her away from the comment board, basically ;D) and she's just begun a story called Untitled Vampire (working title, I'm told).
And I'd just like to show you this beautiful quote from her summary: "The rest of A7X is of course included. (Even the Rev. R.I.P. He will always live in my stories)".