‹ Prequel: Deadly Perception
Status: October 10, 2011: Hey everyone :) Its been a long time, huh? shameful face. anyway, expect an update tonight. FINALLY :D

Beautiful Deception

Where The Heart Lies

Nick and Brian conversed during the whole car ride, taking the time to catch up. I had pretty much tuned out after the first few minutes, but my hold around Nick's abdomen never ceased. I was still nervous. Everything from the town to Brian himself was new and strange to me.

I guess you could say that I've had bad experiences with new things in the past. Like meeting Jack for instance. I'd been adopted from an orphanage and brought to a new town, only to meet my soon to be kidnapper and rapist. I'm no longer the most open minded person.

In fact, thinking about it now, a lot of things about these past few days have changed me. I feel different. I am different. And, it's a bad kind of different too. I no longer embrace the fact of meeting new people or making new friends. I seem to be quicker about judging people, and it's usually not in their favor. I've noticed this from the way I eye people walking down the street in Grenville. It's like I instantly look for something wrong or dangerous about them; a reason to stay far away from them. All these irrational thoughts probably make me out as a lunatic, but I can't control it.

After fifteen minutes of driving, Brian finally pulls up in front of an expensive one-level ranch made out of cream colored bricks. The front yard is manicured to perfection, and I even see the hint of a swimming pool around the back.

"This is your house?" I ask in surprise. Brian shuts off the car and looks at me through the rearview mirror. He grins.

"Technically it's my parents." He winks. "But they spend all their time in their vacation homes so I chill out here."

"So you guys must be rich," I say.

"Eh, I guess so," Brian shrugs as he exits the car and goes around the back to get our bags. I brush off what he said and turn to look at Nick. He's smiling down at me.

"You're adorable, you know that." He kisses my forehead. "You've been living with the O'Keiff's in that crazy mansion for weeks, and you're surprised at this place?" He teases me.

I scrunch my face up in disgust. "Don't remind me of that place please." Nick gives me an apologetic look before helping me out of the car. Brian has already taken our bags inside so Nick and I make our way through the open door. Nick's arm is securely around my shoulder so that I'm nestled into his side.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think Nick has changed some as well. He's a lot more protective of me, and it shows in all the little actions he does. I guess I should've figured that watching Jack rape me has made Nick more cautious. Maybe he's turned out just like me- not able to trust easily.

The inside of Brian's house is even more glamorous than the outside. Cream walls. Flat screened TVs. Polished floors. Expensive furniture. Abstract paintings lining the walls. It's like a house on one of those Open House TV shows. It's beautiful.

"So," Brian claps his hands together to get our attention. Apparently, Nick was also taking in the surroundings in awe. "The bedrooms are just down that hallway," he tells us, pointing to the hallway that led away from the living room to the right.

"There are three down there, I set aside two for you..." Brian thinks for a minute and then smiles mischievously. "Unless you guys want to share one. I mean that's fine. My bedroom is near the garage so you guys could be as loud as you...-"

"Brian!" Nick cuts him off. "We're not like that, okay?" Nick says seriously.

Brian smirks. "Well, that's a shame, kid. If I were you, I'd...-"

Nick cuts him off again. I can feel his patience slowing slipping away, and his protective side kicking in. "You're not me," he tells Brian. He holds me tighter to his side. "And, don't say things like that around her, please. She's been through a lot. And, the last thing she needs is someone like you saying something like that."

Brian looks me over with an intrigued expression. "Who exactly is 'someone like me'," he incquires, using air quotes. I don't know who his question was directed to, but Nick answers it.

"An older guy who's heart resides in his dick," Nick says matter of factly. I could tell from his tone that he wasn't saying it to be mean. I expected Brian to get angry. Yell. Kick us out. But, he surprises me, and begins to laugh. Brian clutches at his stomach and continues to laugh. I look up at Nick confused, but a small smile graces his features as he watches Brian.

Brian calms himself down and comes over to ruffle Nick's hair affectionately. "I'm glad to see you haven't changed a bit, Nicky." Brian wraps his arms around Nick and hugs him. Nick pats Brian's back awkwardly, but he stares at me. He gives me a playful 'I don't know what to do' look, and I giggle.

Brian hears the sound and pulls away. He turns to look at me and I try hard not to flinch under his gaze. Even with Nick holding my hand once again, I'm still slightly uncomfortable about Brian. I make sure to look everywhere but his eyes. I feel his fingers brush against my chin.

"You're too cute," he says, referring to my giggle. I give him an usure smile, yet it's directed toward the floor. His hand grasps my chin and tilts my face up to meet his. An amused smile lights up his face. "Make eye contact and let me see those pretty eyes, love. It's only polite."

Nick gives my hand a gentle yank to get my attention. I'm sure he could sense my obvious discomfort. "Aright, I think Riley's tired. She's had a long day," Nick says seriously.

Brian smirks. "Yeah, you're right. I'm gonna get a pizza so if you guys get hungry later you can have that." Brian turns to leave, but then snaps his fingers and turns back around.

"By the way," he begins. "You're right, Nick. That is exactly where my heart is."

He winks directly at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow! 4 stars for only chapter one... thanks so much guys :] You're all so amazing, and I'm glad people like it.

Anyway, comments motivate me 2 update ASAP, and I've already gotten nice ones so far.

P.S. Hearing from silent readers makes me incredibly happy!