‹ Prequel: Deadly Perception
Status: October 10, 2011: Hey everyone :) Its been a long time, huh? shameful face. anyway, expect an update tonight. FINALLY :D

Beautiful Deception

Afraid to Trust

"But, I don't want you to leave," I tell Nick earnestly, holding onto his waist so he can't get up. We were laying down on the bed of the farthest room down the hallway, watching an Animal Planet documentary. And now, he wants to leave.

Nick only laughs and runs his fingers through my hair. "I promised Brian that I was going to get a job and pay him back," Nick tells me. I roll over so that I can rest my chin on his stomach, but my hands remain clutched in his shirt.

"Why? I thought Brian is your brother's friend. He can't give you a break?" Nick sighs quietly and kisses my forehead.

"I want to, Riley. He's helping us out so much, it's the least I can do. Besides, I know sooner or later that Brian's going to ask."

I frown slightly in thought. "Well, look at his house, clearly he isn't hurting for money."

"I know, but technically it isn't his money. God knows what Brian's spending his own money on. And, you know how guys get with stuff like that..." Nick stops. He knew that this conversation was taking a wrong turn. The last thing I needed to be reminded of was what my foster brother did to get his money.

Hastily, I try to change the subject. Getting into this conversation would only make me upset, and make Nick guilty- or mad. I didn't want that, I wanted to forget everything that happened in the past.

"Well, if you get a job then that means you'll be away a lot," I say sadly. I'd missed out a lot of quality time with Nick over the past few weeks, and I'd been hoping that we could make up for it. Still, that's not the only reason I brought that up. I know the other reason why I don't want him to leave. And, Nick knows it too.

"Riley." He shakes his head and sits up, pulling me into his lap. "You're safe here. Brian's a good guy and he'll take care of you while I'm away."

"I don't know..." I mutter unsurely.

"Then trust me," Nick says. He pushes me gently off his lap, and gets up. I watch him from the bed as he moves around the room, getting his things together.

Maybe I am overreacting. After all, Brian's never tried anything. Sure, he has a questionable sense of humor, but he's never been outright vulgar to me. Then again, I've only known him for a little over an hour. Things could change as time progresses. And wouldn't being alone in a house with him every other day speed up that change? Yes, yes it would.

With that new thought in my head, I get up and walk over to Nick as he's putting on his jacket. My hands clasp around his wrist and he looks down at me sympathetically.

"Riley...-"

"Please don't go," I plead, cutting him off. Nick gently pries my fingers away from his wrist with his other hand.

"I have to," he says seriously. He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me closer to him. He rests his forehead against mine as he speaks. "Look Brian's in the living room right now. Why don't you go in there, and get to know him better. You know, so you'll be more comfortable with him."

I'm about to protest everything that is wrong with that idea, when Nick kisses me. It's sweet and gentle, but when he pulls away, I feel empty.

"Come on," Nick says, grabbing my hand. We walk down to the living room together. When we get there, Nick lets go and moves toward the door.

Brian is sitting on the couch eating pizza and watching some action movie on TV. There is a half drunk beer bottle on the table in front of him next to the pizza box. I tense. He drinks? Of course he drinks. That's a whole other reason for me to be cautious around him. Alcohol does things to people. I've never seen my foster brother or his friends drunk before, but I know it isn't pretty.

"Where you going, kid?" Brian asks Nick, craning his head over the couch to look at him.

"Out to find a job. I can't expect you to do everything for Riley and I," Nick jokes. Brian laughs at that.

"Of course," Brian says still laughing.

After a few seconds, Nick sobers up. "You'll make sure Riley's okay while I'm gone, right?"

Brian glances over at me for the first time and cracks a smile. "Yeah, kid. I'll take real good care of her."

Something in his voice and the way he phrased that made me uncomfortable, but Nick doesn't seem the least bit bothered. "Thanks, man." Nick turns to leave, but then snaps his fingers. "Be careful with that around her," he says pointing at the beer bottle.

Brian only rolls his eyes and waves him out the door. When the door closes behind Nick, Brian turns to me. I've been frozen in my spot for the whole conversation, and I'm not looking to move any time soon.

"Well, what're you doing over there, love? Sit down and talk to me for a bit."
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Holidays, to every one of my wonderful readers, commenters, and subscribers!!! :D

Since it is a giving season/holiday, I'm updating all my stories throughout the course of the day. So, check them out cause they've all got (or are getting) new chapters :]

Oh, and comments would be lovely, they really make my day. ;D