Don't Pay Attention

I Just Had a Run-In With a Greek God

I woke up at 5:30 am to my alarm clock going off. I was amazed I had slept through the night. It was the first time in months I had done that. I was the only one awake in my bunk. I was going to get a shower but I realized that I was just going to get sweaty and nasty and saw no use for it. I threw on a tad bit of makeup and got my soccer clothes on. I was wearing my old green soccer jersey from last year when I played forward for the Lions. I put on my soccer socks and laced up my cleats. I packed my bag with sunscreen and water bottles and I walked out the door.

I headed over to the cafeteria and met up with Hal and Nick. “Hey, are you alright to play today? Do you need to sit out?” Nick asked. “No I swear I’m fine.” I said reassuring him that I was truly okay. “Jasey Rae, I’m glad you are okay.” Hal said as we sat down. Nick must have told him about my little accident the night before. The rest of the soccer team was sitting at the table munching away. We were all clad in different colored jerseys and socks. “Hal started to pour milk into his cereal. “No no no no!” I said grabbing his milk. “Why not?” he asked grabbing it back. “Because, milk spoils when it gets hot, and if you drink it, and we are outside, in the heat, you will throw up.” I said. I continued on with my speech. “Besides, since we are doing so much athletic work this week, you need a ton of protein and carbs. Eggs and a bagel with peanut butter will do.” Hal sat there and stared at me blankly. “How do you know all that?” “I used to want to be a nurse so I took health classes my first two years of high school.” I said opening up some orange juice. “What do you want to be now?” Hall asked me. My face lit up. I loved getting asked this question. “A musician.” My voice rang out. Hal nodded. “That sounds amazing. I bet you could do it. I want to be an engineer.” “My friend wants to be an engineer. Her name is Aleeya, you should meet her.” Hal nodded once again. “Brad is probably waiting on us” I said standing to throw away my trash.

We walked to the courtyard where Brad was waiting with a church van. We got in and drove about forty-five minutes away to where we came to an empty soccer field. “Well, today, we are training.” Brad said dumping a soccer ball onto the field. He divided us into teams for scrimmage. Me, Hal, and Nick on one team and Zach, Trent, and Tyler on the other. Brad blew the whistle and the game of 3-on-3 began. “NICK! Me! Upfield!” I screamed. He passed me the ball and I scored. The game lasted about 30 minutes, and my team beasted big time! We all piled back into the van. “Eww, Nick, you are all sweaty.” I complained as he sat down beside me. Nick leaned over and pulled me in for a huge hug against his sweaty body. “Nick! No!” I said huddling into the fetal position. I screamed and laughed. He finally let go. “We are still going for that smoothie right?” he asked. “Of course!” I said. Nick smiled

When we arrived back to Caswell, Nick and I walked over to the café. “What’s your favorite?” He asked me. Without missing a beat, I replied, “Strawberry banana.” Nick and I got our smoothies and we sat down on the couch to talk. “So why do you have so many hobbies?” “Well, I’ve only been playing soccer for three months. Guitar and singing, I picked that up a year and a half ago. I did it to get my mind off of things.” Nick looked at me like I was hiding something. I was. Damnit! He could see right through me. “What is it you were trying to get your mind off of?” I sighed and decided it was okay if I told him. “My dad was killed in a car accident a year and a half ago. He was driving home from work and was hit by an SUV. They tried everything. He was on life support. He could have lived but he was gonna be brain dead anyways. He always said that if something were to happen to him in an accident and he could live, but would be a burden to the family, to just let him go. So that’s what we did.” A tear slid down my cheek. “Oh Jasey Rae, I had no idea. I’m so sorry.” Nick said reaching for my hand. He rested his on top of mine for a moment and then laced his fingers in between mine. I looked him in the eyes. Tears were poring down my face. “People are so different and vulnerable when you look them in the eyes.” He said gazing harder. “ I thought you were a stuck up little princess that wouldn’t even look at a soccer ball. But look at you now. You have grass stains on your socks.” I gave a giggle. “There is still something bothering you. I can see it.” He said. Double damnit. I knew exactly what he was talking about, but I wasn’t about to tell him. Only for people knew. That was my mom, Noel, Izzy, and Aleeya. I shook my head. “No Nick. Nothing.” He looked at me as if he knew I was lying. He took his hands, put them on the side of my face, and wiped my tears with his thumbs. He leaned in and kissed my forehead. There was something comforting in his touch. His kiss didn’t give me the butterflies I half expected. It was gentle, more like a brothers. I still knew that he could be never amount to anything more. Nick looked at me. I looked away to avoid his piercing blue eyes. I saw the counter girl staring at us like we were about to have sex right there on the couch in front of her and God. Nick sighed. “Jasey Rae, you are so sweet and so gentle. I know I have only known you for so long, but it feels like we have known each other forever. I really like you Jasey Rae.” He confessed. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that I didn’t like him that way. Unable to find the words to say, I began to cry again. I leaned my head into Nick’s chest and he wrapped his arms around me. Again, I only felt comfort. “Tell me what’s on your mind.” He said stroking my hair. “This!” I sobbed into his T-shirt that smelled like Axe and sweat. “You are such a sweet guy and I like you but I don’t LIKE you. I see you as someone I could be best friends with. When you kissed me, and when you hold me, I only feel comfort. Not those butterflies you get when you like someone. Nick, I feel so terrible for saying this. I hope this doesn’t change anything between us. I’m being such a bitch. Nick I’m so sorry!” The tears were pouring down my face still. “Jasey Rae,” he began with a soft smile on his face. “Don’t worry about anything. You didn’t hurt me. I understand if you don’t feel the same way. It’s okay. Nothing is gonna change between us and you are definitely not a bitch. You are one the sweetest people I have ever met.” Nick looked down at his shirt. I gasped. “Oh my god! Nick I’m sorry.” I looked at the black stain my mascara had left on his shirt. “No worries love.” I looked at the clock on the wall. “I hate to cry and leave but I really need to get a move on. I have to practice some before the talent show tonight.” I hugged him goodbye and set off to the barracks to grab my guitar and folder of guitar chords.

I stepped into the bathroom to fix myself up a bit. I splashed some cool water on my face and fixed my curly ponytail. I figured I looked good enough and headed to my favorite spot to sit and play guitar. I was walking down the path when I turned around to wave at some of my bunk mates. I wasn’t looking where I was going and bumped into someone. I hit the ground, dropping my guitar case, and my folder full of chords. They went everywhere. “Oh sorry.” Said the boy as he helped me pick up the numerous pages of chords I had printed out before I left. He picked them up and handed them to me without even looking at me. But I looked at him. He had black hair that sat just above touching his shoulders. His eyes were light and crystally blue. They seemed to even sparkle a little bit. He stood up and turned around to walk off without saying as much as a word to me. “Thanks” I said breathlessly as he walked out of earshot. I picked up my guitar case and walked the other way.

My brain was in a fog as I walked to my spot behind a big hill that over looked the ocean. I sat down and pulled my guitar out of the case. I sat there with it in my lap thinking about the rude, but oh so gorgeous boy I ran into. I was thoroughly convinced I just had a run in (no pun intended) with the Greek God, Adonis. I finally shook him out of my mind and managed to get some practicing in. It was about five minutes into it, I heard a rustling noise behind me. I turned around only to see some tall grass and some bushes blowing in the wind. I go so lost in my guitar; I had spent an hour playing. I quickly packed up and ran back to my barrack.

Izzy sniffed me. “I sure hope you aren’t going to dinner smelling like that.” She said. “No, I’m going to skip dinner to get ready for the talent show tonight.” I said rapidly grabbing my shower stuff. “Well, we are going to be in the front row, so good luck!” Noel said. I hugged them all and they left.

I was the only one left in the barrack. I showered and wrapped myself in a towel. I put some stuff in my hair to make it curl better, and let it air dry as I put on my makeup. I then got dressed. I put on my knee length, blue, spaghetti strapped, V neck dress. It had rhinestones on the V area. I put on my worn in light brown cowboy boots, grabbed my guitar, and walked out the door. It was finally my turn to shine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it is late
Is there still hope for Jasey Rae and Nick?
Who is this mystery guy?
Will Jasey Rae win the talent show or that Brogan Kelby boy she is competeing against?