We're Not Alone

Breaktime? Part 2

"Melissa I feel like such a creeper, doing this," Kevin said into the Wally talky.

Him and Joe were following Enrique’s wife and two kids around the super market near by while Nick and I were staking out outside the house. Samantha and Jonathan were off trying to do some more research.

"I know. I do too Kev but this was the only plan I had. Sorry I'm not so used to having big group cases. I just need to two to tell me when they're heading back here. That's all. No need to act like creepers, like you’re following them"

"But that's what we're doing!" he claimed.

"Well don't make it obvious!"

"We got it covered Mel. Just do your thing," Joe said.

"Okay, Nick and I are going in," I said and we began to approach the property.

I knocked on the door. A man who looked like he was in his thirties answered the door and smiled. "Hello sir, we're taking a survey of neighborhood civilians and asking them a series of questions, wondering if anyone in the same area have similarities with one another"

"It has to do with fait and seeing who believes it...it's for an extra credit project," Nick added.

Enrique eyed us in a way that gave off a fatherly feel and just stayed silent. "May we come in?" I asked.

"Oh of course," he said and happily opened the door more to let us in. "Make yourselves at home, I'll be right back," he said and we both nodded as he walked away.

"Are you getting anything?" Nick asked.

"Not really," I said and eyed him.

"Right..." he said, catching on and stood farther away from me.

I placed my hand on a picture of Enrique with his wife and son that was on the mantle and I suddenly felt light headedness. I shut my eyes and saw it was dark and snowy. I felt myself inside a car as it began to go out of control. I saw oil leaking from the bottom of the car and a loose screw flew off. Then I fell to the ground.

"Melissa? What's wrong?" Nick asked as he rushed to my side. I saw Enrique come back and when he saw me he rushed to us as well.

"Is she okay?" he asked with urgency.

"I’m fine...just a little light headed is all"

"Can I get you anything?"

"No really...I'm alright"

Then a crash was heard from the kitchen. We all rushed in there and saw a picture was thrown off the wall and onto the ground. The frame broke and the picture was ripped.

"That’s weird...I'm sorry, this has been happening a lot lately. Things just don't like staying together" he apologized and went to clean it up.

But then dishes started to fly and break. "How often does this happen?" I asked with all seriousness.

"Very often," he replied reluctantly.

"Mr. Gutierrez, I don't usually do this but..."

"How did you know my name?"

"We read about your son and your wife, we're very sorry" Nick said.

"But now I think your in some kind of danger..." I stopped myself when I saw a little boy appear.

“Why are you doing this sweetie?” I asked him.

“Who is she talking to?” Enrique asked.

“He doesn’t love me or mommy anymore…” He began to cry and the lights began to flicker.

“Sanjay…your father loves you very much…you need to tell him that” I narrowed my eyes at Enrique.

“What are you talking about?” I could tell he was about to start crying.

“Look, I can talk to ghosts and your son is still here, you have to talk to him right now or else more things will go very wrong,” I told him.

“I think you should leave now, my wife and kids will be home soon…” But then wind began to blow and more things began to crash and break.

“He really is here?” he asked.

“Yes…”

“Honey?” a voice called.

“In here dear” he called back and Sanjay disappeared.

“Damn it” I mumbled.

“Who’s this?” the woman asked with a smile as she walked to us.

“They’re just here taking a survey for a school project…”

“We were just leaving though. You have a lovely home” I smiled and pulled Nick along.

But we got stopped by a little girl. “You’re Nick Jonas” she gaped. He smiled and bent down to her level.

“Can I run upstairs to get my cd so you can sign it?” she asked. “Of course” he replied and she raced off.

Then he looked at me and I smiled…then it faded. “Well this plan was a bust…”

“Not that much of a bust…”

“Well it’s my first time actually just winging it” I crossed my arms.

“Well it was a good attempt for a first time” he commented. Then Enrique came over to us.

“Okay…I’ll talk to you, but not here. At the baseball field nearby at 5:00” he said and I nodded before the little girl came back, with excitement written all over her face.

I smiled…but then I looked over at the little boy playing video games…while Sanjay watched. “Would it be okay…if I talked to your son” I asked and he was reluctant but nodded.

I walked over to him and sat down. “Hello…I’m Melissa,” I said and he paused the game to actually look at me.

“Sanjay,” he smiled and shook my hand.

“Sanjay?” I questioned.

“Yea…dad says he named me after his other son that he had…I feel kind of honored in a way…I know dad loved him a lot…but I also know he loves me now too…”

“But I thought Sanjay died two months ago…”

“He did…dad had me and Carmen three years after Sanjay with my mom…and he said he just had a feeling that he should name me Sanjay too…” My eyes widened.

“And that woman in there…is your real mother”

“Yeah?” He gave me a weird look.

I felt Sanjay’s (the ghost) confusion…but then I think he started to catch on. “He never did love mommy anyway” he mumbled and I felt the hatred before he disappeared.

I was trying to wrap my mind around it all. Then I shut my eyes as it began to go play-by-play in my head. Wendy crying hysterically behind the wheel…Sanjay hiding in the back…oil leaking…car spinning out of control…Wendy realizing Sanjay is in the car with her…the car going off road.

“Okay, well it was nice talking to you Sanjay” I smiled and so did he. Then I walked away. I narrowed my eyes at Enrique again.

“Lets go” I said to Nick, lowly and we left.

~~~~

“That son of a bitch cheated on his wife. I cant believe this” I said and shook my head as we walked into my house.

“Hey what happened? We lost walk talk connection” Joe said.

“Enrique cheats on Wendy with another woman, that woman gets pregnant with twins, the twins are born and he keeps it a secret for years until Wendy finally finds out and goes for a drive, what she doesn’t know is that Sanjay is in the car with her and that someone tampered with the oil in her car and when she starts to spin out of control, she cant even use the brakes and the car goes off road and…”

“Melissa! Breath!” Julianne yelled and I stopped to take a breath.

“What I don’t get is…how did Enrique know something was going to happen…he knew something was going to happen to Sanjay so he named his other boy Sanjay as well…” I started to say but stopped when a woman with burn marks all over her appeared in front of me.

“Please just stay out of this…I have a score to settle and I don’t need anyone else interfering” she threatened and then disappeared and I let my air out.

“What is it?” Jonathan asked.

“Wendy isn’t happy…and she wont be until she gets even” was all I said.

~~~~

5:00 came and Jonathan and Julianne had to leave but I was okay with it because they helped a lot today. They just wanted me to keep them both posted.

“Okay, I’m going now” I said, heading toward the door.

“We’re coming too” Nick said.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea…you all need to get home, aren’t you having dinner soon?”

“Yea, but you’re not going alone…I’ll let mom and dad know Nick will be a little late because he’s with you and I’ll tell them you’re working on a project for school and you want to get it done quickly” Kevin said.

“Just be careful and hurry back,” Joe added and they left as I faced Nick.

“They’re the best,” he stated.

“You don’t have to come though you know”

“Yes I do…because if I don’t go…then you cant go either because there is no way I’d let you go alone…this is getting dangerous Melissa…ghosts have been threatening you and you said it yourself that these cases are more serious than others…and now you’re not alone” he said and it made me feel…really good. I smiled.

“Thank you,” I murmured and he stepped forward to kiss me and I kissed back.

“Now lets go,” he said and took my hand and we both left.

~~~~

We got to the field and didn’t see Enrique…I was about to speak but then we saw a car racing down the road, being out of control. “Oh no,” I whispered.

But then I saw Enrique jump out as the car flew into the woods and exploded in a big ball of fire as my eyes widened. Enrique made his way to us at a fast pace.

“Are you alright?” I asked with concern and panic.

“What’s going on here. Did Sanjay do that?”

“No…but we think Wendy did” Nick said and his eyes widened.

“W-wendy?”

“Yes…she’s angry about many things…including the fact that you cheated on her…”

“And that he killed me and our son” her voice said with so much revenge and hatred as wind began to blow like crazy.

I felt Nick get closer…but it wasn’t because he was scared or anything…he was keeping me close…and I got the feeling of being protected.

“She thinks you killed them…”

“What?” he gasped.

“Why would she think that? She was my first love…and he was my son…”

“She didn’t know he was in there…so I think she thinks you didn’t know that either” Nick said and I stared at him.

How he knew that, I don’t know…but I had to stay focused.

“I didn’t even know she was leaving…if I knew, I would’ve told her to stay…I felt terrible about everything I caused in her life and Sanjay’s so I started to fix things around the house, go grocery shopping for her, do whatever I could…one of those things included checking her car for any mount functions because she was complaining about it…I found an oil leakage and I tried to fix it but when I couldn’t…I didn’t think she would be using her car because she had just gotten back from work…please Wendy, you have to forgive me. It was a one night fling, I was mad and drunk and annoyed…I never meant to hurt you” he started to cry.

“You have to tell her that…”

“She can hear you” I told him and my voice cracked a little.

Then Nick grabbed my hand and suddenly I felt a big difference inside me…I couldn’t feel anyone elses emotions…but my own and this time it was a much more solid feeling…I really liked the feeling.

“Please…Wendy…forgive me…” Enrique cried.

“I do…” she said and her burn marks were gone.

“She forgives you” I told him.

“I really am sorry…I miss you and Sanjay so much…” My eyes widened.

“Where is Sanjay?” I asked aloud and they all looked at me

~~~~~~~~

We got back to Enrique’s house and saw lights flickering and then we heard a scream. “Clara!” Enrique yelled as we all raced inside.

We heard a crash coming from upstairs and ran up there to find Enrique’s wife and daughter. “Sanjay is in there and I cant get in” she cried.

Nick tried to knock down the door. But then he stopped and I shut my eyes and focused everything inside me as I began to whisper and this time when Nick kicked the door, it fell down and we saw toys flying around and Sanjay was terrified…while Sanjay (the ghost) had so much anger in his eyes.

“Sanjay! You have to stop this!” I yelled to him.

“He thinks you don’t love him anymore because you have a new family now. You have to talk to him!” Nick yelled to Enrique.

“Sanjay! Son…please stop this…I never meant to hurt you or your mother…and I will always love you, you cant forget that…”

“What about mommy! You never loved her at all”
“That isn’t true sweetie” Wendy appeared and tried to reason.

“What’s he saying?” Enrique asked.

“He thinks you never loved Wendy now she’s trying to reason with him.

“Sanjay, I loved your mother very much…adults just make mistakes sometimes…please, you need to stop this now” he pleaded.

“It’s true Sanjay…mommy and daddy were very much in love…sometimes things don’t work out though…you need to stop” Wendy said and he did.

Toys stopped flying around and human Sanjay raced into Clara’s arms. I sighed in relief. “You need to say good bye now…and let go…go into the light” I instructed.

“It’s beautiful” Wendy commented. “You ready to go little guy?” she asked him and he nodded.

Then she walked over to Enrique and kissed his cheek as Sanjay hugged him and I could tell he felt them. “Tell him we love him” she requested.

“I will” I promised.

Then they walked together hand in hand and disappeared. “They’re gone now” I informed him as tears began to roll down his cheeks. I took a deep breath and let it out.

~~~~~~~~

Nick walked me up to my door. “You should get home now…tell your parents I’m sorry for keeping you so long” He chuckled lightly.

“It really wasn’t a problem though…Mel you have no idea how this is the most exciting thing that’s ever happened to me ever since we signed our record deal”

“You’re Nick Jonas I’m sure you’ve done more exciting things…but you need to know…that I feel so much better, knowing I’m going through this with someone I care about now…” He smiled.

“You’re lucky I like you so much…”

“How lucky am I?”

“Very lucky” he replied and kissed me.

“You sure you don’t want to have dinner with us? Mom and dad wouldn’t mind…”

“No it’s okay. I’m sure. I think I’ll just wait for mom to come home for her break…it’s been a long day”

“Okay…I‘ll call you later,” he promised and I smiled and nodded.

He kissed me again and I smiled into the kiss. Then I reluctantly walked into my house and put my back against the door and sighed in delight.

Then I squealed and ran up to my room to call Julianne. She was on the phone with Jonathan and we all did three-way for a bit so I can inform them on what happened but then Jonathan got off the phone so we could have our “girl talk” and I started to tell her about me and Nick, letting her throw in her own stuff about Jonathan. I was actually feeling like a normal girl…for the moment…and it was really nice…but like I said before…I don’t take breaks.
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333