Status: Working on it!!!

No Longer Saving Yourself

Ready! Set! Action!

"Fuck. My. Life," Annie muttered, noticing an influx of zombies approaching their makeshift campsite.

"There have to be at least fifty. How did they get here so fast?" Zack asked. There were at least three dragging various blunt objects across the vast cement parking lot.

"Maybe we were too distracted," Annie grumbled. Zack smirked, but Annie's hand making contact with his rock hard chest pulled him back into the present state of emergency.

"We need to get to the cars and get the Hell out of here. You wake everyone up and organized, I'll try and hold them off." With that, they both ran to the vehicles. Zack started waking everyone up while Annie grabbed a few more weapons.

"Bring it on, bitches," Annie said to herself under her breath.

Moans filled one end of the parking lot while the sounds of Annie's comrades took up the other. She closed her eyes momentarily, opened them and cracked her neck.

The first wave of zombies were approaching much faster than Annie expected. She decided the virus must be mutating and the symptoms were changing. They needed to up their game plan. But she didn't have time to focus on that right now.

Drawing her knife, Annie rushed forward and grunted as she struck the first zombie as hard as she could, almost taking its head off. She pulled the knife out, blood dripping from the blade. She pulled a pistol from her hip holster, raised it to her next victim and fired two shots into the older woman's brain via her forehead.

Annie spun around slashing the throat of a zombie welding a rusty axe, half raised and aiming feebly for her back. This one didn't fall right away, but her foot collided with its chest, taking care of that issue.

Crouching down, Annie swung her leg around and sent one of them to the floor. Her other leg kicked up, slamming into another one's face. Now upright, Annie fired two more shots into another one's head. Her elbow met the next one's nose causing the zombie to stumble backwards and drop the lead pipe it was carrying. Kicking the body to the ground, Annie grabbed the pipe and forced the pipe through the zombie, into the grass they had now moved onto and trapped the zombie on the ground.

Annie could hear the shouts from her friends, but knew she had to kill a few more to both return to the vehicles and to give them enough time to escape.

The bloody knife found another throat, and after holstering the now empty pistol, Annie's second gun began firing shots. She lost count as the bullets began hitting heads left and right. Annie didn't need to concentrate for this task; this skill was now automatic from her extensive similar experiences.

Turning to look around her, Annie backed quickly in the direction of the vehicles. She was still shooting, bullets flying until she heard the click that signaled the magazine was empty. Re-holstering the weapon, she pulled out another gun. She was losing bullets fast. Annie knew that she had to come up with something quick. She was too far away for her friends to be able to tell she was in trouble before it was too late.

The rest stop had several trees. Old trees. Sturdy trees. Slicing open the next zombie that got too close, she replaced her weapons, ran to the nearest tree and jumped to grab the lowest branch. It took her three tries, but she finally was able to grab the branch. Swinging her body back and forth, hitting a zombie or two in the process, Annie launched her body to the next highest branch like a gymnast would.

However, Annie was a little off and couldn't avoid a zombie latching onto her leg. There she hung, right hand grasping the branch, and a zombie chomping on her left leg.

"Son of a bitch," she cursed. Pulling out the gun she knew still had bullets and unloaded two bullets into its brain. Now really dead, the zombie's mouth unlatched from her leg and she was able to kick the one coming in for an Annie Snack.

Once she was a few more branches up, Annie started to feel the pain in her leg.

"Fuck." Annie pulled off her shirt and wrapped it around her leg to stop the bleeding. She started to freak out. Annie had avoided this damage for months. It was only a matter of time before it happened she reasoned.

Squealing tires brought her out of her thoughts.

"Jump down!" Zack had driven the black Hummer under the tree. The sunroof was open so she could crawl through. Zombies were already trying to enter the vehicle.

Rather gracefully, Annie fell onto the top of the vehicle and shimmed quickly through the sunroof. She had to kick a zombie away before the glass closed.

"They scratched the paint job." Zack laughed at her as she buckled her seat belt. Once he was sure she was secure, Zack pushed the gas pedal to the floor.

The truck, handled by Danny, led them back onto the highway and away from the rest stop. But not before hitting a few of the zombies on the way.

"Ten points!" Alex's voice radiated through the speakers after hitting one of the zombies.

"You're having too much fun with this," Annie responded, shaking her head.

"Annie! That. Was. Amazing!" Jack's voice joined the others as they came through the Hummer's speakers. Annie chuckled.

"In a few months, you'll be doing the same thing," Annie promised.

"Unfortunately, Annie's right." Cori's voice joined the others via the satellite network.

"So where are we heading?" Annie yawned.

"North. Sooner than we expected, but still on track. Everyone sleep when you can. We'll stop again soon."

As soon as the speakers went silent, Zack noticed her lack of shirt.

"I know we were having fun a few hours ago, but try and keep your clothes on." When she didn't laugh, Zack turned to the girl.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his tone softer and more concerned.

Annie pulled her attacked limb and propped it on the dashboard.

"I've got a slight problem." Zack looked back and forth from her leg to her face.

"Annie?" Her grim face met his and he smiled.

"We've got the anti-virus. Remember? You'll be fine." Zack reached out and took her hand. He lifted it to his lips and placed a kiss on her palm. Intertwining their fingers, he rested their joined hands on the arm rest.

"We'll stop soon to refuel and you can take it then," he reassured. Annie let out a large sigh and leaned into him, immediately feeling relief. Pressing her lips to his muscular arm, Annie closed her eyes.

And so the three vehicles drove North, driving straight on till morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fight scene? Yes?! Thoughts?

I'm sure you're sick of my apologies, but I'm back into the groove (I think).

Guess where the last line is derived from and there will be a reward...Enticing?

Ps. You guys are fantastic! 4 stars (how are star numbers determined anyway?) 103 readers, 26 subscribers, 58 comments!