Status: Working on it!!!

No Longer Saving Yourself

The Return

Before Annie opened her eyes, she knew what was missing.

Sunlight.

But she also knew what was there.

A warm body.

Both reoriented Annie. Most mornings, she did wake up hoping that everything had been a nightmare and that the sun would rouse her. Now, waking up was always in darkness. Waking up to darkness meant having stayed safe overnight. Annie was beginning to forget what her life was like before the outbreak, during a time when sunshine would hit her face and make her roll over with a groan. She never knew she'd miss waking up to the sun so much.

The arm around her made her realize that for the first time in months, she was waking up happy. No fear; no longing for her former life; no exhaustion; no wanting to give up.

Happy.

For a moment, Annie entertained the idea that it was a zombie breathing down her neck and the arm around her was decayed with rotting flesh falling off the bone. But after inhaling only once, she knew that she was in Zack's embrace. His arm had shifted, waking her up.

"What time is it?" Annie whispered.

"I don't know. There aren't any clocks." Zack moved his head to kiss her shoulder before pulling their bodies closer together.

"We're up enough floors. I wish we could have the windows open," Annie sighed.

"I'd rather be safe than sorry. And I'm perfectly fine waking up to this every morning anyway," Zack said, pulling her on top of him.

Annie laughed and tried to wriggle off but Zack held on. Soon they were reacquainting themselves to the discoveries they made before falling asleep.

"I love you," Annie said almost an hour later, chest heaving from their workout.

"I know," Zack said in a nonchalant manner, smiling.

"You jackass," Annie said, smacking his chest.

"Ouch." Zack pouted like a small child and Annie couldn't help but laugh.

"You'll get over it. I'm going to go shower. Make us some breakfast." Annie grabbed some fresh clothes and walked into the bathroom.

"We need to go meet the others," Zack said when she joined him in the kitchen.

"I suppose we have to. I like it just being us, in here, where it feels normal." Annie sat down at the small island on one of the barstools.

"Me too, but I want to see how tired Rian is after dealing with Alex and Jack," Zack said, handing her a plate with pancakes and a glass of milk.

"Oh my god I forgot how much I enjoyed milk." Annie took a giant gulp of one of her favorite and very missed beverages.

"Don't drink too much. It will reek havoc on your digestive system," Zack reminded her. She slowed her gulping down to small sips.

"I forgot. It's not like actual food isn't going to make me feel like crap later either. Especially since these are really good. It's hard to stop myself from eating so much!" Annie had finished the three good sized pancakes Zack had given her so fast he had barely made it through one.

"Okay, you need to go lay down. You're going to be a cry baby later. I'm going to go shower." Zack kissed the top of her head before heading in to shower.

As the water warmed his muscles, Zack became much more aware of his body and realized how much he ached. It seemed as if nothing was without pain.

"There have to be more painkillers in the clinic," he reasoned with himself.

Zack also resolved to find out if he could cut his hair. They had scissors and someone had to have a steady hand. Rian certainly had experience keeping his hair trimmed in the past.

That was another thing he was looking forward to-seeing how his friends looked after a night in civility. He certainly felt better, and more human, excluding his injuries.

After changing, he and Annie walked down to the room Rachel had mentioned the night before. They heard the chatter of happy voices before they even reached the correct floor. Annie distinctly heard Alex's laugh and she reasoned that the crash that happened shortly after was most likely Jack. She grew excited at seeing her friends again, even though they had only parted ways a few hours before.

They were her family, Annie realized. It had been so long since she had woken up without knowing right away how everyone was and if they were safe. It was as if she had been playing the role of "mom" for so long that this new independence was foreign to her.

"Annie!" Jack said, running over to her and spinning her around as soon as she and Zack walked in the door.

"Nice to see you too Jack," Annie said once he set her down. She noticed his hair was styled differently, and he had shaved. He also had the distinct smell of "clean" both from his own body and the new clothes.

Alex and Rian also looked refreshed and she was able to see the three in a new light. When Danny and Cori appeared in her line of vision, she could see the change in their appearances as well. Looking over at Zack, she could tell he looked better as well. After a hair cut, as it appeared the others had had, she was sure they both would look as new too.

After a few moments the room went quiet as all eye were on the two new members.

"Everyone," Rachel said, "this is Annie and Zack. They arrived with our other new friends yesterday."

The room erupted in clapping and cheers, making it impossible for Annie not to smile.

Yes. Today Annie woke up happy, and with that happiness brought a new beginning. Judging from the faces of their new company, Annie could tell that this new beginning was only going to make her life better. Looking over at Zack, she knew her life wasn't going to be just herself. For the first time, she wasn't preoccupied with thoughts of staying alive. Her mind produced thoughts for the future, a future that didn't revolve around survival.

Even if just for today, Annie allowed herself to be happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, this one is fairly short. It just didn't segue with the next chapter so this chapter and the next are rather short.

I'm going to try and update at least once a week until this story is complete. I wasn't giving it enough attention and I apologize. As such, most of my ideas have been forgotten so I'm going in a different direction. There were side stories I was thinking of adding (mainly introducing new characters and their stories) but I really just want to get this over with and still give it the ending it deserves.

I've also been working on a few new stories. We'll see how that turns out.

I highly recommend checking out wattpad.com. They have an app for iphone, Android and Blackberry and the people are super nice. I don't have an account that I write on over there, but I do read a lot of the stories hosted there.