Status: Working on it!!!

No Longer Saving Yourself

Let Your Guard Down

"I'm scared Zack," Annie said.

They were cuddled under the fluffy comforter in the big bed, safe and warm. The day had consisted of meeting the rest of the people in the complex, attending to personal grooming, and spending a day in a carefree manner.

"Scared?" Zack asked, pushing up onto his elbow as she turned towards him.

"We don't know how long we'll be able to stay here. I heard Rachel talking to Kathryn about medical supplies. I'm sure their electric and water reserves aren't exactly never-ending either. It's so perfect here, but I know this fantasy can't last."

Annie gave a big sigh and turned onto her back, staring at the ceiling.

"We've been here a day. You need a break Annie. I also heard Rachel and Eric talking about escape plans. They seem sound. If you're really that nervous, talk to Rachel in the morning. But for now, let's make the most of our situation." Zack pulled her up to him and gave her a soft kiss.

"It's been so long since I've felt safe, and I know that it really is a false sense of security so I'm hesitant. These walls can't protect us. I spent some time in a hospital in Dallas. You think something like that would have been safe. It was a nightmare. Hospitals can be creepy anyway, but it was a situation I don't want to revisit."

"Most hospitals usually have glass entrances. I bet it was on total lock down," Zack said, pulling Annie into him as a comforting gesture.

"I didn't think I was ever getting out. Combine that with the crazy doctors and nurses who are use to being in charge trying to keep things under control. Some of the doctors started doing experiments on some of the people who were heading in the zombie direction. I saw them purposely let a little boy get bitten. I knew then that I had to get out of there."

Zack could feel Annie begin to shake by the end of her story. They lay in silence as the minutes ticked by while Annie controlled her breathing. With the time they'd spent together, Zack knew that comforting words weren't what Annie needed. She was so use to taking care of herself that she still couldn't fully let herself be looked after. More than anything, Zack wanted to be her right hand man-the one she trusted to look out for her.

"What about you? Were you just camped out in that old hotel I found you in for months?" Annie asked after she regained her ability to speak clearly.

"Pretty much. Everyone else left the city and we didn't really know what to do. The people who were leaving were just getting caught. We figured we'd try our luck at staying put."

"You're lucky. I try not to stay in one place too long."

"Another reason you're itching to run." Zack held her just a little bit closer.

"Let's get some sleep. Things will be clearer in the morning," Zack said and clapped his hands. Another thing they found out about their apartment-The Clapper.

The next morning, Annie went in search of Rachel, but found her with Eric and decided it could wait. Human relationships were rare in this age and she didn't want to take away from that possibility. Everyone deserved to have someone they loved-a relationship like her's with Zack. That didn't mean that earlier when she found Kathryn checking over Zack's wounds and overheard their playful banter she didn't felt a pang of jealousy. She definitely felt it. However, the words Zack spoke two nights before silenced her worries.

"Whatcha doing girlie girl!" Jack ran over and pulled Annie into a tight hug.

"I was going to talk to Rachel but she's a little busy right now. What are you up to Jack?" Annie asked when he let go.

"Alex, Rian, and Zack are all playing Resident Evil. You want to join? I bet you'd be good. You're like a real life Alice."

"Thanks for the compliment Jack. I guess I'll come watch for a bit."

An hour later, after thoroughly kicking zombie ass, Annie felt a little hungry and went in search of food. Instead, she found Henry.

"Annie!" the little boy shouted and ran to her. Annie was rather surprised-she wasn't very use to small children, especially not 2 year olds. With the exception of her sister, she never really spent time with any. The age gap between her and her sister also meant that it was a different sort of relationship. Henry had followed her around yesterday so his excitement wasn't too unexpected. Rachel said in passing that she looked a bit like Henry's mother in explanation for his immediate attachment.

"Up! Up!" Henry demanded, reaching for her.

"Seems he's taken a liking to you," Kathryn said, walking up to her. Annie scooped Henry into her arms and he immediately snuggled into her.

"Rachel said I look like his mom. To be honest, I'm not use to this kind of reaction-from anyone," Annie told her.

"What about Zack?" Kathryn teased and Annie cheeks went a little pink.

"That's more recent too I guess," Annie replied.

As Kathryn and Annie chatted about random subjects, including a few brief comments on Jack, Annie noticed Henry had fallen asleep.

"Where does Henry usually sleep? You said he's an orphan, but is any one particular person caring for him?" Annie asked, stroking the boy's blonde hair. It was very similar to her's and there was no doubt in her mind that their similar features could fool anyone into thinking they were related.

"We usually take turns. You can put him in my room I suppose," Kathryn replied.

"Would anyone mind if he stayed with me? I think he's attached." Annie turned slightly so that Kathryn could see Henry's hands gripping her shirt and hair.

"If you wouldn't mind. Quite frankly, I'm feeling a little run down today and as much as I love him, I could use a break."

Annie smiled and returned to her room. Once Henry was safely on the bed, secured between a few pillows, she made herself some lunch. Taking the meal back to the bedroom, she turned the TV on low, cuddled up to Henry and let her guard down a twinge more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not a whole lot of action. But that will come soon. We can't go too long without Annie kicking zombie ass, now can we? No, the video games in this chapter don't count.

Love you all! I made a few changes to the two previous chapters-nothing huge, sans Henry's age. He was four, but I just adore 2 year olds at the moment so Henry is now two.