Status: Working on it!!!

No Longer Saving Yourself

Clean

A few hours later, the small group had stopped at a small rest stop off the highway. It was deserted and in a surprisingly pristine condition.

"What are we going to do about Rian?" Zack whispered to the others. Rian was still in the back of the truck.

"We've already taken care of that," Danny said.

"You killed him already!?" Alex exclaimed, upset .

"No. We forgot to mention we had a few vials of the cure with us," Danny explained. Everyone let go a sigh of relief.

"So he's better, right? We don't have anything to worry about?" Jack asked, stepping slowly toward Rian as he got out of their vehicle.

"He's fine. We shot him up over the 6 hour time limit and he's been fine. The wound has even healed," Cori said. Rian pulled up his pant leg, showing the scar.

"Why'd you come back for me Annie?" Rian asked once the group had disbursed to sweep the area. "I know Cori and Danny didn't tell you they had more vials until now."

"Well. Um. I guess I wanted to say goodbye before we had to let you go." Annie kicked one of the loose stones along the crumbling concrete. She had established an emotional connection to the group, despite her efforts not to.

"Either way, thanks." Rian then engulfed her in a hug that was soon interrupted by Jack running out shouting.

"There's a shower!" He started jumping up and down.

"Does the water work?" Cori asked.

"And is it safe?" Annie added.

"The water is kind of brown right now, but there is a heater around the back. It looks like it would have its own reservoir," Alex said, coming out from around the small building.

"How many vials do you have left?" Annie asked Cori.

"Enough for the rest of you. Once you've had it, you're fine unless they rip off all your flesh. But being mauled would be deadly either way." Cori pulled open the truck's doors and pulled out towels.

"Seriously?" Annie asked, excited at the prospect of taking a shower.

"Didn't you say you had soap?" Cori asked, passing the crisp white towels out.

"Among other things," Annie replied.

Everyone's spirits had been lifted at the idea of being able to get clean. Jack, Alex and Rian had also found clothes when they were at the mall. Clothing items began to appear in everyone's arms, joining the towels. Annie removed the holsters, leaving them in the Hummer, sans one gun.

"We should conserve water," Annie said, grabbing some bath items out of the black Hummer.

"How do you suggest we do that?" Jack asked.

"I call Annie," Cori said, knowing what the other girl was suggesting.

"Shower buddies," Annie explained."Yet another reason I'm glad you're here Cori. Otherwise, I'd be stuck with one of these goons."

A groan filled the air. Annie smirked and Cori rolled her eyes.

"We're going first." Annie and Cori walked to the showers, leaving the boys to whine out of earshot.

"This also means the water will be warm. A little more brown, but I'll take warm over clear," Cori said, turning the six taps onto "H."

"I think I'm burning these clothes after this," Annie said, throwing the clothes she was wearing into the corner of the small tiled room. She hadn't changed when she and Zack emerged from the dressing room, putting back on the worn tank top and jeans.

"We also need to start wearing warming things. It's getting colder." Cori's clothes followed suit to the opposite corner.

"You locked the door, right?" Annie said, suddenly remembering their company.

"I'm on that wavelength. Trust me." Cori's eye roll told her everything.

"You too huh?"

"Yep. So I'm assuming Zack?" Cori's voice fluctuated as the water washed over her head.

"Something like that. Shampoo?" Annie asked, holding out a bottle.

"You are my new favorite person. That was the one thing I couldn't find." Cori took the bottle and began washing her hair. The scent of strawberries filled the air as the two young women washed the grime away. This was one luxury that helped them escape what was really going on outside.

"Face wash?" Cori handed Annie the bottle after she dispensed a small amount onto her hand.

"I gotta ask. Periods?" Annie said, washing her face as well.

"Nope. Not for the last five months. You?" Cori took one of the razors Annie held out to her and secretly rejoiced at the idea of smooth legs.

"Same. Only it's been closer to seven." Annie cut her leg on the razor, but she really didn't care. It was small and didn't even require a band-aid.

"Makes it easier, that's for sure. Dealing with tampons would have been a bitch," Annie said.

"The zombies can smell it too. At least that's what that scientist said," Cori replied.

They finished just in time, right before hearing Jack pound on the door and complain about how they were wasting hot water. They turned off the taps and quickly dressed in jeans and long sleeved teeshirts. Their shirts were the same, but different colors.

"I've got something else I think you might enjoy," Cori said as they exited the shower.

The members of the other gender ran past them, all deciding to shower at once. Annie and Cori had left the bath items in the shower room for them, hoping they would use them. Tossing their old clothes onto the grass, they hung the wet towels over the rungs of the fairly new looking playground structure.

Walking over to the truck, Cori pulled out a smaller plastic box from the back seat. The two girls sat on the pavement sidewalk and withdrew the contents of the box. Annie was delighted to discover a hair brush, some hair products, a few hair ties and even some makeup.

"I figure it's good to feel girly every once in a while," Cori said, pulling the brush through her hair.

Annie pulled out a fairly large mirror and took in her appearance. She had just seen it a day before, but she didn't have time to dwell on the face staring back at her. Her face had thinned with dark circles under her eyes. Her hair had turned much blonder than she was used to due to prolonged exposure to the sun. Her skin was slightly red from the shower, but she knew underneath it was darker than she was use to as well. Her eyes were still the same grey blue color they had been before the out break, but they didn't sparkle nearly as much as they used to.

"I wouldn't get too hung up on it," Cori said, handing Annie the hair brush and taking the mirror from her now occupied hands. Cori then pulled out some brown eye shadow and began applying it to her eyelids.

"I haven't really had the chance to see how much I've changed." Annie plaited her long hair into a single braid that ran down her back and began digging around the box, looking at the makeup.

"I was shocked at first. You get used to it after a while." Cori finished with some mascara and eyeliner before handed the mirror back and she watched as Annie applied the brown to her lids as well.

"It's so secluded here, I actually feel safe. And I could almost imagine it all being a dream," Cori said, looking out as the sun began to set, lighting up the sky in a fantastic display of oranges, yellows, reds, pinks and purples.

"Yeah. Almost. Then I remember I've got a gun strapped to my waist and quickly remember what the world is really like. When they were talking about the real world, I don't think they were talking about this." Annie put the supplies back in the case and they returned them to the truck.

"Now what?" The boys had yet to return, but they could hear them banging around, laughing and all around seeming to be having a good time.

"Cards?" Cori asked, producing a deck.

"Sounds good to me." They played Go Fish! until the boys finally emerged from the shower.

"Sexy now?" Annie teased. All the boys began flexing, although none surpassing Zack's physique.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I didn't get it done on time. I don't really care though, because I love this story AND you guys are awesome. I'm glad you are all enjoying this as much as I am.

I'll ask again, sex scene? A motel is coming up...