Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter One

Under the pretense of a sentimental farewell to my homeland, I take my mare, Alstehus, and flee toward for the forest. The grove I am heading for has become my hideaway and sanctuary over the years. When I needed time away from the strict duties and restrictions of my home, I ran to the woods. Trees could not care less if I walked lightly on my toes with my chin up, or if I addressed them according to their status. “Good evening, Lord Oak. How lovely to see you, Lady Maple.” The rigidness of society was just a distant ludicrous dream out here in the heart of nature. After nearly seventeen years of palace life, I could find my way to this grove even if I lost every one of my senses. It is here in this grove that I asked Mehta to meet me. She, my constant companion since childhood, would be the only one who could help me out of this mess of a marriage.

I dismount near the edge of the forest and stray deeper into the woods. I allow Alstehus to wander where she wishes; I know she will not go far. Surveying the area, I can see that the apple blossoms are in full bloom. Further away, I hear the brook that meanders through the clearing sending joyful tinkling through the crisp air, but this does nothing to cheer my melancholy mood. Any other time such simple beauties of the woods would have cheered me, but not today. For tomorrow I am to leave for Lequin, and I know that even if I manage to avoid this marriage, it’s likely that I won’t’ be able to return to my beloved homeland.

I continue further into the grove and eventually decide to rest by the stream. An oak, long ago fallen in a winter storm, creates a suitable bench beside the gently flowing water. For several minutes, I am lost in my thoughts of the future. I soon hear the pounding of hooves approaching from Shayen, and within a few short minutes, Mehta enters the clearing, leading her mistress’ aging mare gently by her reins. Before she even has a chance to acknowledge me, I race toward her and wrap her in a crushing embrace.

“It’s nice to see you too, Siya,” she says with a light laugh. She adds an extra squeeze to the embrace before releasing me. “Now, what is it you called me here for?”

“You obviously received my message, so you must already know I’m engaged to be married.”

“Yes,” she said quietly. “It would seem congratulations are in order.” I shake my head forcefully at this, earning a quizzical look from Mehta.

“I can’t marry him! I don’t even know him!”

“Well, that is usually how an arranged marriage works,” Mehta said slowly, as if explaining something to a simpleton.

“I don’t want to be married.”

“Siya, it’s-“

“No, let me finish.” Mehta nods once, and I continue, “I don’t want to be married. You’re the one who has always dreamed of marriage. I have no desire to be wed, especially not in an arranged marriage.” She nods again, signaling that I should carry on. “You’ve always wanted to get married, and with your parents… well, they aren’t here to arrange a marriage for you, and you’ll have no dowry.” Mehta turns away with a sad look on her face. I take hold of her shoulders and she turns her face to me again.

“Mehta, I want you to go in my place.”

“Siya,” she says shaking her head, “You know I can’t do that.” She takes a few steps toward the creek and sits on the fallen oak.

“But we look enough alike to pass for twins!” I insist following her.

“That’s not the point, Siya. I’m a servant, and you’re a princess. If I am discovered, I will be killed immediately. And do you have any idea what trouble that would cause with Lequin?”

“We won’t be caught.” She looks at me with her intense indigo eyes, nearly the same shade as my own, and I force myself to keep her gaze. She finally sighs and looks into the creek. I sit beside her and take her hand in mine. “Trust me.”