Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter Fifteen

The next morning Calin and Shrateh were gone long before I awoke. I dressed as quickly as my body- still a bit stiff from my injuries- allowed and wandered over to Mehta’s room. We had gone through one of the wagons last night and found a suitable gown for her to wear. I laced up the back of the emerald and cream dress while Mehta brushed out her hair. We have nearly identical builds, so the dress fit her wonderfully. I plaited her hair and pinned it up in a neat bun.

Entering the dining room, we saw Ekohl, who had apparently already eaten, standing near one of the large windows on the eastern side of the room. I glanced through the window as we walked toward the table; outside was the main road that lead through the town in the direction of the royal city. He slowly sipped some steaming liquid from a mug, seemingly unaware of our entrance. We quietly sat at the far end of the table and a young girl brought us many plates of fruit, bread, and eggs, as well as two steaming cups of a sweet tea.

The entire time we ate, Ekohl never looked away from the window. Even when something in the kitchen made a jarring crash, he was motionless. His silent presence was awkward and unflinching, making any noise we made crash against our senses with unusual obviousness. We finished eating quickly, and Mehta quietly excused herself and retired to her room. I, on the other hand, made my way toward the window where Ekohl stood, as still and as motionless as a statue. I stood a few paces from him, contemplating his odd behavior. Ekohl was hardly ever one to stay in one place for such a long time, and never had he been so quiet. In fact, in our time in this village, he’s been completely unlike the Ekohl I have known my entire life.

Thinking this, I placed a hand tentatively on his shoulder, wanting to get to the root of this odd behavior. Just as my fingers grazed his shoulder, Ekohl’s head abruptly turned to me. surprised at this sudden movement, I stumbled back a pace and tripped over my skirts, landing quite ungracefully in a heap on the floor.

I laughed at my own ridiculousness, but Ekohl merely mumbled a quick apology and helped me to my feet. This too was very unusual for the normally jesting and joking Ekohl. He returned his gaze to the window almost immediately, but I now noticed his shallow gaze and realized that he wasn’t actually looking outward at all.

“Ekohl…” I said quietly. He turned his whole body toward me, this time more slowly than the last. “What’s wrong with you?” I saw confusion flash across his face with the furrowing of his brows.

“What do you mean?”

“You’re acting… strange…” He sighed and looked back out the window. I thought he was trying to ignore me, so once again I placed my hand on his arm. He looked down at it, and then at me.

“Back in the forest,” he began, “I tried to keep you out of the fighting…” He paused as if forcing the words out. He looked about the room, then continued. “It’s my duty to protect you, Siya.”

“I’m just as capable as any man with a sword,” I declared stubbornly. I crossed my arms over my chest defiantly and glared at him. “You don’t have to protect me just because I’m a woman.”

“You were nearly killed!” he said suddenly. It shocked me, and I looked around to see if anyone else was in the room. A servant was cleaning up the plates from the morning meal, trying to look as if she wasn’t eavesdropping. I caught her eye briefly, and she quickly finished up a exited to the kitchen.

“It’s not that anyway,” he continued when the door swung closed. “You’re a princess,” he whispered. “How could I call myself a Kyshian soldier if I let something happen to you?”

“Not any more. It’s no longer your duty to protect me.” He looked about to object, but I didn’t want to talk about this anymore. Before he could respond I changed the subject, asking curtly, “What happened to your arm?”

Shutting his mouth, Ekohl absently rubbed his left arm, but answered only, “Nothing,” before walking away.