Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter Eighteen

I had just returned to my room after I finished eating the next morning when a distant trumpet blast drew my attention to the window. A large group was coming up the road from the south. The unmistakable glint of the morning sun on armor can be seen in the distance. There’s a knock at my door moments later. I invite whomever in, and see that it is Mehta. She joins me at the window. Many other people were flocking to their home’s windows, wondering what could bring such a large group of soldiers from the royal city to their humble village.

“Some of the villagers came to the inn a few minutes ago,” she said, still looking to the southern road. “They said the group approaching carries emerald banners with the insignia of the royal family.”

“I suppose we better be prepared then,” I mumbled. I took in Mehta’s outfit, a silky maroon gown with a dark green sash. Deciding that her clothing was acceptable, I started changing into the simple wool dress that used to be Mehta’s.

“Have they reached the inn yet?” I ask as I pull my left boot on.

“Almost. They’re only a few houses away now.” She reached over and started tying the laces of my dress. I finish tying my right shoe and start plaiting my hair. Just as Mehta finishes, there is another knock on the door. Mehta and I exit to see Ekohl leaning against the opposite wall.

“Ready?” he asked, pushing himself into a standing position. I gave Mehta a reassuring smile and took her hand. I could tell she was nervous, but she nodded and Ekohl led the way down the stairs to the main level of the inn.

Before we had even descended half of the steps, the sounds of boots thudding across the threshold could be heard. As the entrance hall came into view, I could see little more than armor. There were at least fifteen men, soaked from head to toe from the rain that had been falling since yesterday afternoon, already crammed in the small room. The innkeeper was frantically trying to relocate everyone to the dining hall. His face was strained as he tried to be heard over the din.

Suddenly one of the men shouted. The crowd immediately went quiet and parted as one man stepped into the inn. He spoke briefly with the innkeeper, then informed the soldiers that they were to disperse for an early lunch, compliments of the inn. The soldiers quickly followed one of the servants toward the dining hall. As the entry hall emptied I counted at least twenty-five soldiers in all. Just as the last soldier left, the man who had quieted the crowd stepped toward us.

“I take it you are General Ekohl,” he said more than asked. He was a tall, severe man with graying hair, and despite the morning’s rain, he was conspicuously less wet than the rest of the men had been.

“Still Captain, actually. There’s been no formal-”

“It matters not,” the man said, cutting Ekohl off. “You are to speak with his Royal Highness, Prince Jegan of Lequin, immediately.”

“I see. Well, sir,” Ekohl began curtly, “I would do so immediately, but you have yet to inform me of his current location.” The man scowled darkly in annoyance.

“I think you know not who you speak to, boy.” The man was just about to speak again when another man suddenly grasped his shoulder.

“Please excuse Rythan,” the other, younger man interrupted. “I believe, uncle,” he continued, addressing the fuming man, “that your time would be best spent with the men.”

“If it pleases Your Highness,” Rythan said through a clenched jaw. He gave Ekohl a sharp look, then stalked off in the direction the other soldiers had gone.

“Well, now that we are rid of him, let us retire to somewhere more private.” Ekohl nodded, and the four of us made our way to the study. The noise from the dining hall faded as we walked down the empty hallway, and when the door was securely closed, it could hardly be heard at all.

“Your Highness-“ Ekohl began, but the prince held up his hand to stop him.

“Please, just Jegan. There’s no need for formalities here.” Ekohl nodded and introduced each of us in turn. The prince smiled when Mehta was introduced as Princess Siya of Kyshia.

“Ah, it is nice to finally set eyes upon my future wife.” He knelt before Mehta’s chair. Taking her hand gently, he lightly kissed it. “I see the rumors of your beauty were to be believed after all.” Mehta's cheeks turned a pretty shade of pink.

“Forgive me Prince Jegan,” I said suddenly, “but why have you come here with such well armored company?” Ekohl gave me a stern look. Though I was asking the question that I knew he had as well, it was very improper for a servant to address royalty so directly.

“We don’t mean to be rude,” Ekohl stated with a pointed glance toward me. “We are only curious of your presence. We were not aware that you would accompany us to the palace. We expected someone…”

“Less important?” The prince chuckled. He took a moment to check the door again. “We’ve had some controversy involving the wedding, and it was decided that my presence would be desirable,” he began, addressing Ekohl.

“As I’m sure you know, this marriage was arranged in secret.” Ekohl nodded in the affirmative. “When it was announced last month to the entire court, I the entire country was taken by surprise. Many questioned the legitimacy of the union, but my father insisted he was within his rights to keep the arrangements concealed given the circumstances. Only my father’s close council knew.”

“The people though… they are aware that I wasn’t involved in the wedding arrangements, and rumors have spread that the King was acting against my wishes.”

“So you’re here to show your support, I assume,” Ekohl suggested.

“More or less,” the prince sighed. “The men that accompany me are the best Lequin has to offer. I have known them for many years, and each has proved his loyalty. Even so, there are certain people, people, even within our own royal guard, who wish this marriage to fail. My father believes that if the people see that I am for this, they will come to accept it.”

“It would seem that not all of your subjects have yet to shed their prejudices,” Ekohl said.

“You’re referring to the bandits, I suppose,” Jegan guessed. “That’s what troubles me. As I said, the only ones who knew when and by which route would be travelling were the members of my father’s council.”

“I take it the man responsible has not been found?” Ekohl inquired.

“No,” the prince said with a shake of his head. “But I suppose it cannot be helped at the moment.”

“Right,” Ekohl said slowly. “But you say this company is of your most loyal men?”

“Yes,” the prince assured.

“Even Rythan?” Ekohl inquired.

“My uncle,” Jegan explained, “is just bitter because he didn’t inherit the throne.”

“Even though he was your grandfather’s oldest son,” Mehta continued.

“Yes,” the prince said. Clearly impressed by Mehta’s knowledge, the prince smiled brilliantly at his bride-to-be.”

“So when shall we leave?” I interrupted. Ekohl sent another disapproving glance my way.

“At your soonest convenience,” The prince said quickly, turning his attention to me.

“We will need a short time to pack,” Ekohl said, taking me by the arm in what would appear to be a polite fashion. “But we will be prepared shortly.” The prince nodded, and the matter was settled.