Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter Two

I had not realized the time as Mehta and I conversed, coming with a plan and running through any possible scenarios. When we parted several hours later, we were satisfied that our plan was solid and foolproof. Everything would progress as my father wanted, at least to his knowledge. I will be the perfect submissive daughter. I’ll go along with my escorts- my father’s most trusted guards- through the city in the little parade my father has planned and smile and wave to all our adoring citizens. But just before the gates, we’ll deviate from my father’s plan. It is here, during the final farewell procession, that my own plan will be put into action.

I rehearse the details in my head as I cautiously steal into the castle, keeping to the shadows as silently as possible. I’d found it necessary early on in life to memorize the paths of all the nighttime guards who patrolled past my curfew, and I had already evaded three such guards on my way from the kitchen servant entrance to the receiving hall. I had just passed by the two soldiers at the bottom of the main staircase and was on my way up to my quarters when I heard my name called.

“Siya!” I turned to see my father hastily climbing the stairs to reach me. He stopped one step below me, and even then, I was forced to look up at him. “Where have you been? It’s nearly midnight!”

“Forgive me, father. I got lost in the woods.”

“The woods! What possessed you to travel there? You said you were going for a ride into the countryside. I was nearly prepared to send a troop of soldiers after you!” I could see his face grow increasingly red in the flickering light of the candelabra he carried.

“I’m sorry to have worried you,” I said with a slight bow of my head.

“Well, luckily it won’t happen again,” he said with a scowl.

I nodded and curtsied as he brushed past me on the way to his own room. After a moment, I too retreated to my bedchambers. Now that I had been found out, I slipped my shoes back on and carelessly trudged up the stairs, no longer caring if anyone heard me.