Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter Twenty-Nine

It was decided that, due to our waterlogged clothing, Ekohl and I would ride the remaining horse, and Jegan and Mehta would ride the other. My horse had run to the opposite shore upon getting out of the river, so Jegan let it go. It would most likely wander toward the town, but it had no distinguishing baggage with it anyway.

I had some trouble getting up into the saddle due to my ankle, but I vocally blamed it on my weighted dress. Ekohl ascended behind me and we once again were on the move. I started with my feet on Ekohl’s in the stirrups, but my ankle throbbed in protest and I could see it starting to swell with my skirt hiked up for riding. I slipped my feet from the stirrups to give my ankle a rest from the constant jolting. Ekohl asked what was wrong, but I just shrugged and told him it was more comfortable this way.

In addition to my sore ankle, the ride was less than comfortable because of the cold morning air. The already icy temperature of my wet clothing was made worse. I began to wishing that I had sat behind to keep out of the wind, or at least that I still had my cloak. After an hour, though the front on my dress was significantly more dry, I was still shivering. Clenching my jaw so my teeth wouldn’t chatter, I looked to the trail ahead of us and studied the scenery. I noticed the path steadily slanted down as we rode.

“I didn’t realize we had climbed any hills,” I said, leaning back and turning my head so I would be heard.

“We passed through the mountains last night. You were half asleep; I wouldn’t expect you to remember it.”

“Oh.” I thought it strange that such a detail had passed my notice, but it was entirely possible considering how tired I still was.

“The prince-Jegan- he said that once we passed the mountains the climate would improve,” Ekohl continued.

“I think he was confused. It’s still just as cold as before,” I mumbled, but Ekohl heard and laughed. He let go of the reins suddenly. I quickly leaned forward to catch them, but they had been snagged by the saddle horn anyway.

“What are you doing?” Instead of answering, Ekohl wrapped his cloak around my shoulders. I took the edges and wrapped it around myself. It was completely dry from being wind-whipped all morning, and I was grateful for the warmth.

“Don’t you need this though?” I questioned as he reclaimed the reins.

“No, you’re blocking most of the wind,” he explained.

“So glad to be of service,” I mumbled. I knew I should have ridden behind him.

“I owed it to you anyway,” he continued, “for the one in the river.”

“Did you save the badge?” I asked, suddenly remembering I had been wearing his father’s badge to fasten my cloak. Ekohl took one hand from the reins. He took something from his pocket and held his fist in front of me. I slowly uncurled my fingers from the warm cloak and felt him put something small and metal into my open palm.

“Haven’t you learned not to trust me with your belongings?” Ekohl laughed and closed my fingers over the badge. I made a silent promise to myself that I wouldn’t lose it again.