Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter Thirty-One

I thought of Jegan’s words as I walked up the steps and into the palace. There are certain people, even within our own royal guard, who wish this marriage to fail. As we passed into the cool halls of the palace, I pondered the even colder welcome we had received, and hoped it would not foreshadow our stay.

The prince continued walking straight through the entry hall into the throne room, not even pausing at the thick wooden doors before pushing them open. The doors slammed behind us and I gasped and turned in surprise. No one was there to shut the doors, yet they closed. This perplexed me.

Turning around again, I saw an intricate carpet that led to an elaborate set of thrones, but they were conspicuously empty. This struck also me as odd, but the prince continued down the carpet decisively. About halfway to the thrones, he veered to the left, but all I could see in that direction were long, silky curtains in emerald and cream that adorned the walls. Jegan pulled aside the fabric to reveal a small passage just behind, then held them so Mehta, Ekohl and I could pass through.

“Where are we going?” I heard Mehta whisper when she was again walking with Jegan just ahead of me. The passage was made of bare stone, and the whispered question reverberated off the walls. Torches adorned the wall every few feet, and beside each torch was another passage, but the prince continued straight.

“This,” Jegan answered, “is a shortcut to the council chambers.” Just as he said this, we reached what appeared to be a dead end. Jegan motioned for Ekohl to help him, and together they pushed open a giant stone door. As soon as everyone was through, they let go and the door closed with a loud thud.

The room on the other side of the door was occupied by a large square table. There were seats all around the outside, and at the end farthest from the passageway sat a man intently studying a document. He looked up when he heard the door shut, saw Jegan, and stood immediately.

“What are you doing here?” the man asked. He started walking toward us with a pensive look on his face.

“Well, it’s nice to know you’re so happy to see me,” Jegan said with a smirk.

“You know that’s not what I meant,” the man said. He relaxed a little and embraced Jegan. “Why are you back so soon? And where is Rythan?”

“Rythan is not to be trusted, father.” The man, or rather the king, didn’t look shocked at this, but instead he merely nodded as if he expected such an answer. “We left him behind in Frayihn,” Jegan continued. As if just noticing us, the king looked over us each in turn, no doubt seeing a band of disheveled, tired, and damp guests.

“This is Ekohl and Mehta.” Ekohl shook the king’s offered hand and dipped his head in a slight bow. The king then took my hand with a small smile as I curtsied.

“And this,” Jegan said with a smile, “is Princess Siya of Kyshia.” The king grinned and wrapped Mehta in an embrace in place of a formal greeting. Mehta was shocked at first, but she smiled and returned the embrace.

“It’s wonderful to meet you, my dear, even if it must be under such grave circumstances.” With this, he turned again to Jegan. “Perhaps you should expound upon the current situation?”

“Yes,” Jegan agreed, “but first, I believe these three would like to see their rooms.” He looked at us and smirked before adding, “A night in the forest wasn’t very beneficial to their appearance."