Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter Thirty-Two

Jegan quickly led us out of the council chamber, once again taking the “short cut”. We were told in passing where the side passages lead, but there were at least twenty passages between the council chamber and the throne room. I’m not sure about the others, but I know I won’t remember any of those rooms.

We turned into the second doorway on the left, and after about ten paces, the passage turned into narrow stairs leading upwards. It took a few minutes to ascend the dark stairs. Every twenty or so steps there was a landing with a door to the left, again marked by torches, but other than that, there was little light. At each landing, the stairs turned to the right, and I assumed each marked another level of the palace. The prince continued ascending until we finally came to the top of the staircase where two doors stood.

“This,” the prince said, indicating the left door, “is for you two, and the other is for you, Ekohl. I’ll be returning to my father now, but take as much time as you need. There should be clothes in the rooms. When you’re finished, just take this passage back to the council room.” With that, Jegan started back down the staircase, leaving us bewildered.

Ekohl, Mehta and I exchanged a glance, then turned to our assigned doors. I reached for the latch and tried to pull the heavy door. It gave a little, but the weight was such that I could barely move it. Ekohl took hold of the latch as well and, to my envy, was able to pry the door open with no visible strain.

All I could see in the doorway was a thick billowing wall of deep purple fabric. Confused, I reached out to touch it. I continued walking forward with my arm outstretched, thinking this was the same trick that had been used in the throne room. About four feet into the room, though, my hand struck against something solid. I looked back to Ekohl and Mehta, but they seemed to be as perplexed as I was.

I felt along whatever was in front of me, and gathered that it was a little taller than my shoulders. I moved to my right, trying to see where it ended. Within three steps, my hand slipped off into thin air. Moving a last fold of cloth aside, I saw that I was standing in a bedchamber.

To my left was a large bed draped with the purple fabric; the passage door was hidden behind the massive headboard. Directly ahead of me was a balcony. A gentle breeze blew through it was what caused the fabric to billow like a restless sea. A massive wardrobe sat in one corner of the room, bursting with a rainbow of finery. The opposite corner was occupied by a vanity and three mirrors, and within the semicircle of mirrors was a stool for dress fittings and such.

“Mehta,” I called, “It’s a bedroom.” Just as she stepped from the curtains, there was a thud behind her. I wondered how we would get that weighty door back open, but let the matter fade when I noticed the door to one of the private baths that were so popular in Lequin.