Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter Thirty-Eight

Ekohl is talking to someone in the hall when I enter the room. The door is only half opened and Ekohl is leaning against it casually. As I get closer, I can see Valahn standing in the hallway.

“I think one guard will be enough,” Ekohl is saying. “She’s exhausted. She’s not thinking straight. You saw how she reacted to your friend.” I stop approaching before either of the men see me.

“She had a right to be upset.”

“Yes, but I’m sure with a little rest she would be much less… irritable. With you and your men covering this door from the hall, there’s no reason for her to stay awake.” I finally realize that it’s me they are discussing. I was a little put off that Ekohl called me irritable, but I am mostly happy that there is a chance that I can finally get some sleep.

“I suppose you’re right,” Valahn relents. “She needs to be alert for…” Valahn looks up right at me. Noticing Valahn’s abrupt pause, Ekohl turns around to follow his glance.

“For what?” I ask innocently.

“For the wedding,” he answers. “There’s a custom in Lequin that someone accompanies the bride during the ceremony. This person is supposed to pass the bride from their own side to the husband’s. Usually it would be the girl’s father, but under the circumstances…” He leaves his sentence unfinished, knowing that we both understand. “Anyway,” he continues, “The king wants you to be the one to give the bride away.”

“Let me sleep tonight and I’ll do whatever the king wants tomorrow.” Valahn nods and turns to leave. Taking the door from Ekohl’s grasp, I shut it quietly and leaned against it with a smile and a contented sigh.

“What are you so happy about?” I open my eyes and push off the door, then walk around Ekohl to the bed.

“I get to sleep.”