Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter Forty-One

An hour before the wedding is set to start another knock sounds at the door, but there is no cheery old woman waiting on the other side. Instead a very serious-looking soldier quickly informs me that I’m needed in the council room the instant the door is opened.

I glance over my shoulder and see Mehta sitting at the vanity with a large book about the marriage customs of Lequin. She had convinced the seamstress’s helper, Rey, to sneak into the archive rooms downstairs to get it, and now she has been poring over it for almost an hour, taking in every word as if the old tome holds answers to the greatest questions ever asked.

“Mehta,” I said quietly, interrupting her intense concentration. She lifted one hand to me, signaling me to wait, and trailed her finger along the page until she reached a suitable place to stop. Using her finger to keep her page, she finally looked up at me.

“I have to go to the council room.”

“Alright,” she said slowly. The obvious question- how does this pertain to me? - flitted across her face in the furrowing of her eyebrows and a barely visible tilting of her head to the left.

“I was telling you,” I explained, “because I know you are so wrapped up in that book that you wouldn’t even notice me leaving.” She glared half-heartedly at me before going straight back to reading. With a shrug and a smile I made my way into the hall. The guards stationed by the door nodded as I exited. They were under orders to stand guard, and Valahn and Ekohl were presumably already downstairs, so I had to find my own way to the council chamber.

I tried to walk as confidently as possible while I could still feel the guards’ eyes on me, but I dropped the act as soon as I rounded the first corner. The truth is I have only the vaguest idea of where I’m headed: down. I continue walking slowly, trying to remember which way Valahn lead Mehta and I the night before. I can recognize a few halls, so I just keep walking, hoping that I’ll eventually get where I’m going.

After making it down two staircases, I think I am doing fairly well. At the very least, I have to be getting closer to the ground level of the palace. In Kyshia, the layout of the palace is much more simplistic. The entire structure is built like an elongated circle. The large throne room acts as a sort of courtyard, with the hallways of each floor ringing it. From the halls, anyone could easily see all the way to the throne room, making it necessary for the servants, as well as mischievous heirs, to be the very essence of silence.

Kyshians would never create such confusing and complex passages, I think, pausing for a moment. The hall splits off in two directions here, and I have to choose left or right. After studying both passages slowly and realize I don’t remember this place at all. Just wonderful. Hopefully whatever I am needed for isn’t too important, because there is no way I’ll be getting to the council room any time soon.

With a sigh I lean against the wall and close my eyes. I go over my memories of last night, comparing them to the route I’ve taken thus far. I recognized the halls up until the last staircase, but after that I can’t remember. If only Mehta hadn’t been talking to me last night, I would have been able to memorize the turns. I guess I will just have to backtrack to the halls I know.

I sigh again and put a hand to my forehead; I can feel a headache coming on. I push myself off the wall and started to turn back the way I came. Before I even manage one step, I feel my elbow- followed soon after by the rest of my body- collide into someone.

“Oh! Sorry, I…” My apology dies in my throat as I look up at the man I ran into.

“You look lost,” Chelan says.

“No,” I say promptly, brushing past him, “Just late.”

“Where are you headed?” He walks beside me, close enough that I can feel the heat radiating from his arm.

“Away from you.” I start walking a bit quicker, but he continues to keep pace with me.

“Now, that’s not very nice.”

“You’re one to talk about manners,” I say curtly. “I believe you called me trash last time we met.” I hear a low, rumbling chuckle from him and I slow down again.

“Oh really? Because as I remember it I insulted the Kyshian princess.” My stomach clenched suddenly, and I came to a complete stop.

“Yes, that’s…when you insult my lady you insult me.”

“And why is that?” A bemused smirk crosses his face. “I’ve heard of the fierce loyalty of Kyshian servants, but you seemed to take that comment quite personally.” I start walking again, trying to put some distance between us. I can feel my heart speeding up and my skin growing flush already.

“You may have everyone else fooled,” he says suddenly, “But I know who you are.”

“What are you talking about?” I ask, trying to keep my voice from shaking. I turn sharply and see a smirk forming on Chelan’s face. I try not to show any emotion, but I can feel my stomach twisting itself into anxious knots. Chelan leans against the wall, casually folding his arms across his chest.

“You are no servant,” he asserts.

“No,” I answer smugly, “I’m a bodyguard.” Chelan lurches forward and pins me against the opposite wall. His left hand slaps against the wall by my right ear, the other slams my left shoulder into the hard stone wall.

“Don’t play your games with me,” he hisses in my ear. I can feel his breath against my neck. His body is pressed up against me. I clench my fists, attempting to stay calm. I try to push him off and walk away, but he holds me back, moving his left hand to grasp my arm.

“Let go of me,” I say as forcefully as I can, but I can’t break his grip.

“You should have been more careful, Princess,” he sneers.

“I’m not-“

“Stop!” he interrupts, squeezing my arm tighter. I wince and instantly close my mouth. “I’ve heard you three talking late at night. I know everything.”