Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter Five

I checked and rechecked my hair nearly twenty times this morning. It felt strange to have it plaited instead of loose, but we decided last night that since our hair isn’t the same length, Mehta would wear hers up and I would wear braids to disguise our different hair lengths. We checked over each other’s outfits a final time before heading out to the morning meal, where we tried to keep from trembling at the anxiousness of possible discovery now that the guards could see us in sufficient light. Last night’s meal had been dark but for the bonfire, but this morning we felt utterly exposed. Whenever someone noticed our unease, however, I had told Mehta to say we were just nervous about the journey.

As we finished our meals and prepared to leave, I noticed that the guards, who the day before had worn only formal garments, were now wearing the proper gear for a long trek through the forest. In addition to the weapons now stashed on each horse- a sheaf of arrows, a bow, and a hunting dagger in addition to the swords the men already carried- they now had on rugged boots, thick riding gloves, and dark green wool cloaks. Also, in place of the heavy, metal ceremonial armor, they now wore thick leather armor. The earthy brown color of the leather melded into the colors or the trees, but prominent on the breastplate of each man was the golden emblem of Kyshia- a half sun with five stars in an arch over it. It gleamed proudly in the morning sun as the men made a few final preparations.

Almost all of the packing had been completed yesterday after our arrival. Most of the wagons carried food, supplies, my personal belongings, and gifts for the King of Lequin. In all, there were three wagons, but a carriage also awaited us. It had been prepared for me to ride in, with books and such to keep me occupied, but it was only made for one person to occupy comfortably. Luckily, Mehta, unlike most other servants, had been taught to read in order to help her former master with poultices and other healing remedies, so she would be well entertained. I, on the other hand, would be riding beside the carriage on Alstehus. This was fine with me, though. I was more comfortable in a saddle than in a carriage anyways.

So, with brief farewells between the guards and soldiers, we left the outpost and began our journey, taking the trails toward Lequin that had long lain dormant and untraveled.