Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter Six

I quickly discovered that a dress is utterly impractical for any ride longer than an hour or two. Sitting sideways on Alstehus became a battle to stay on the horse. I nearly fell off every few minutes. I had only ever ridden like this when I was forced to by my father, and then only for very short distances without the help of a specially designed saddle. Now, without a proper saddle and without the petticoats and undergarments I was accustomed to, riding was a torturous and painful feat.

When we finally stopped to rest, I half jumped and half fell off my horse so I could finally stretch my aching legs. During lunch, Mehta told me that her ride along the bumpy trail was rather rough, but not nearly as horrible as my own. We chatted about the book on the History of Lequin she had been reading, no doubt put there specifically by my father.

Mehta bantered on wonderfully- just as I told her she would be expected to- keeping atmosphere of the afternoon was light, yet all throughout the meal, I felt that we were being watched. I could feel someone staring at us, but whenever I looked the guards were all preoccupied with their own conversations. I nudged Mehta and made a point of calling her my Lady. She nodded, signaling that she understood that I was telling her to be careful of what names we called each other.

Throughout the rest of our meal I never caught any of the guards obviously staring, but could feel eyes boring into my back anytime I turned away. Before the guards were ready to leave, I whispered to Mehta to tell the guards that wanted to wash up in the small stream a few yards from the trail. They consented with little argument, knowing that we were still well within the borders of Kyshia, and therefore had little to fear.

“Are we far enough away?” Mehta whispered. I carefully looked back. The guards were putting saddles back on the horses and packing the eating utensils, with the exception of the dishes they had given me to wash. I suppose I should expect such things when posing as a servant.

“I think so.” I leaned down and started rinsing a large black pot. I grimaced at the chunks of food washing down the stream and wondered if I’d ever get used to the idea of washing dishes.

“I was so sure I’d slip up.” Mehta let out a sigh of relief as she also lowered herself to the cool water.

“There wasn’t much opportunity, but we should still be on guard. One of them suspects something. I felt someone watching us during lunch.” Mehta nodded and reached for a bowl. I slapped her hand away lightly and looked over my shoulder toward the clearing meaningfully.

“Mehta,” she said and winked, “Don’t be so serious all the time!” She made sure to giggle loudly enough for the guards to hear. I smiled and dumped the water out of the pot, setting it aside so I could get to work of the other dishes. I don’t know if she was kidding or not, but I was still determined to be extra careful.