Therapy

huit.

“You two are quite an interesting couple,” the therapist noted, nodding her head slightly as she spoke.

“In the good sense or the bad sense?” Alex leaned forward, eagerly waiting for her response.

“Neither good nor bad, just interesting.”

“Well what the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“Exactly. What is that supposed to mean?”

“I meant no offense by it whatsoever. You’re not the only couple I’ve seen in this situation. It’s just interesting.”

“Well interesting is usually a word for fucked up and I can assure you that Alex and I may have our problems but we are not fucked up.”

“She’s right. We fight, a lot. We have marital issues obviously because we’re here but we’re not fucked up. It’s not like there isn’t any hope for us.”

“I never sai-“

“But you implied it,” Alex interrupted. “And I refuse to sit here and be insulted. Who the hell are you to tell me that my relationship with my wife is “interesting”. If you call loving her more than anything else in this universe “interesting”, then I guess you’re right, but until then, I don’t appreciate your comment.”

Addison turned to Alex, a small smile on her face as she held his hand in hers. “Did you really mean that?”

“Of course.” Alex sighed and ran his free hand through his messy hair. “I know I do a lot of things that I shouldn’t. I shouldn’t cheat; I shouldn’t make you worry; I shouldn’t do any of that. I should be treating you like the angel you are and I haven’t been doing that lately. And I’m incredibly sorry. But that’s going to change, I swear. I’m going to be better. I’m not going to let us fall apart. I can’t lose you Addie.”

Tears gleamed in the girl’s eyes as she gently squeezed his hand. “I don’t want to lose you either.” Rubbing her thumb gently across the area underneath her eyes to prevent any tears from falling, she smiled and turned towards the door. “I think we’re going to be okay.”

“No,” Alex turned her body to face his and gently kissed her lips. “I know we’re going to be okay. Things are going to change for the better.”

Addison’s smile was the widest it had been in a long time. “I love you Al.”

“I love you too.”

And without another word, the pair strode through the door, never to return. If they had only stuck around a minute longer, they would have heard the psychiatrist as she rolled her chair behind her desk, a small smirk on her face.

“Works every time.”
♠ ♠ ♠
the end. i always intended for this to be a short story so i thought it was best to end it off before i got too involved writing more. thank you so much for reading and commenting. i loved the feedback on this story. you're all fantastic.