Status: Complete.

Give Love a Try

Chapter Ten

Nate’s POV

I could hear someone following me, walking fast to keep up with me. It could only really be one person.

“Nate! Wait up!” Shanes voiced came from a few metres behind me.

I didn’t stop I kept walking fast, towards the cabin. The pace behind me sped up more, and then someone grabbed my arm and spun me around to face them.

“What Shane? What do you want?” I spat at him. I still hated him.

“Look Nate, I’m sorry,” Shane said; he looked pathetic. From where I was standing; on the slab of concrete in front of the cabin; I was taller then Shane. He continued.

“I’ve been a complete douche bag. I shouldn’t have called you an underdog and assumed that you were talentless.”

“You think you’re going to get away with it that easily,” I looked at him, wide eyed. “You really insulted me Shane. You have no idea how much that hurt. But I guess the jokes on you. Because I really upstaged you just now didn’t I?”

“Yeah. I guess you did,” Shane replied, looking down.

“Look Shane, if you’re trying to push people away at this camp and not make friends, you really succeeded when you insulted me like you did. You had no right to say that shit to me. You don’t know me and I don’t know you,” I said this simply, trying to keep my frustration with him at bay.

“We talked. We got to know each other.”

“You think one conversation is going to tell you everything about me?” Shane shrugged.

“What do you know about Me.? Tell me Shane. What do you know about Nate White?” I demanded from him.

“I know your full name is Nathanial James and that you’re 16 but you’ll be 17 before summers over. You’re an only child and you live with your mum. You grew up in NJ but moved the Cali. You play guitar and apparently piano and I know you write both music and lyrics,” he told me, looking pleased with himself.

“Is that all? Do you think that’s all I am?” I stepped closer to him so our faces were about 2 inches apart.

“What else could there be?” Shane’s eyes were wild.

“Okay. First of all, you don’t know that I'm diabetic. I have been since I was 13. You don’t know that I'm 5’6 and weigh 59 kilos. You don’t know that I’ve had 2 girlfriends, both of which cheated on me. One cheated on me with a girl. For 3 weeks I was known as the one who turned Charlotte gay. You don’t know that my father didn’t actually leave me and my mum; he drowned when I was 4. You don’t know that I have a cat named Noodles and a dog named Prancer that has only 3 legs. You don’t know that I have a birthmark on my back that’s shaped like a paw print. You don’t know that I’ve had my heart broken more times than I’ve fallen off a bike. Lastly you don’t know I’m.... never mind!” I took a deep breath and finished. “Thing is Shane, you don’t know me. You don’t know me at all. I don’t know you either. But I took a chance; I tried to get to know you. But you didn’t even make the effort to know me and I hate you for that!”

“I'm sorry,” Shane said. All the smugness was gone. He was lost for words. For a second I felt sorry for him, but my anger took over.

“Sorry? Sorry? That’s all you have to say,” I screamed at him. Our faces were so close I felt his hot breathe on my face. His bottom lip was trembling. Is that, a tear in his eye? I was too upset to give a damn.

"Well, fuck you Shane. Fuck you!”

With that I turned and walked away from him, towards the camp ground we sat in the first night. That night felt like an eternity ago.
♠ ♠ ♠
='(