Status: Complete.

Give Love a Try

Chapter Fourteen

Shane’s POV

Nate looked worried, and scared. We sat at the table in silence. He was picking at his nails. I hated when people did that.

“Please stop,” I asked of him. He looked up at me. “That is, if you want to.”

He stopped, and rested his hands atop the table.
“Look Nate,” I started, sighing.

“No,” Nate interrupted me. “Please. Can I speak?”

I nodded in response and looked up at Nate. I watched his face. He wasn’t peaceful anymore. His face was filled with worry, fear and despair.

“I shouldn’t have blown up at you the way I did. It was completely uncalled for. Yelling and swearing doesn’t solve anything and I know that now. All these stupid quarrels do is drive us apart. I mean, I want to be friends Shane. I really do.” He sighed and I caught his eye. “What I’m trying to say, is that I’m sorry too Shane. I’m really really sorry.”

Nate broke eye contact with me and looked at his hands. I saw tears forming in Nate's eyes. I moved my hand to his and placed it on top. I didn’t want to see Nate like this. Sure, he was always the serious one out of the three of us, but this was too serious. This was depression. I didn’t want him crying over the stupid things I had done and said.

“Nate,” I said quietly, almost a whisper. “Want to go for a walk?”

I knew he wouldn’t be comfortable crying like this in front of everyone in the camp, including the teachers and counselors. He nodded in agreement and we stood up.

“Come on,” I gestured for him to follow. No one in the hall watched us go. They were all too enthralled in their own conversations. No one but Alicia however, who never took her eyes off us.