Status: Complete.

Give Love a Try

Chapter Fifteen

Nate’s POV

I followed Shane out of the mess hall, down the path and into the woods, which ran parallel to the lake. He walked a few feet in front of me. I had to walk faster to keep up with him. I appreciated him wanting to get me out of the mess hall. A guy shouldn’t be crying, let alone in front of a hall full of teenagers. I noticed that he hadn’t done his hair today. I liked that it was messy. Mine was messy every day. I couldn’t be bothered with is anymore. Shane slowed down as he manoeuvred his way through a few trees before stopping and leaning against a tree. We could still see the camp from where we were and the camp could still see us. I sighed and mimicked Shanes position against the tree adjacent to it. I faced the camp but closed my eyes.

“You okay man?” Shane’s voice said. I opened my eyes and shifted my head to look at him.

“Yeah, I guess I am,” I answered. “Thanks for getting me out of there though.”

“Don’t mention it,” he smiled in response and then yawned.

“Oh, and um,” I stuttered. “Thanks for carrying me inside from the camp ground. I really appreciate that.”

“It was nothing,” he shrugged. “It’s not like you’re heavy. 59kgs wasn’t it? It’s alright man. It’s no big deal”

I smiled a genuine smile at him, which he returned.

“Shane?”

“Yeah?”

“One more thing,” I said quietly, causing Shane to take a step towards me so he could hear me.

“What is it?”

“I forgive you,” I looked up and met his eyes. The brown of his eyes were warm and welcoming. I was thankful that he didn’t hate me for all the shit I had been saying to him. He had told me via that note that most of what i was saying was true.

“Thank you,” Shane smiled at me again. His smile was warm too; warm and real. I hadn’t seen him smile like that since we had met. I have to admit I was completely lost in his eyes. He was just looking at me. There was no judgment, no hatred It was just Shane's warm eyes and warm smile. They made me feel secure.

“Hey Nate,” Shane’s voice broke through my thoughts. I noticed he was standing right in front of me now. “If I was to do something, would you hate me?”

“It would depend what it was,” I answered truthfully. My voice trembled slightly.

Shane took hold of my hand and interlaced his fingers through mine. He took one last step closer. His voice moved closer to mine and I closed my eyes. I felt Shane’s breath hot on my lips. I felt how close he was. I felt his hips against mine. I felt his hand grasp mine tighter. I felt his...

“HEY!” A voice echoed through the trees, causing me and Shane to back off quickly. It was Jason. “There you guys are! I’ve been looking for you everywhere.”

Jason jogged down to where me and Shane were still standing.

“We’re kind of running late for guitar,” Jason told us. I looked down and rubbed my head.

“Yeah, we better get going,” Shanes voice announced as he walked away quickly.

“Did... did I miss something?” Jason asked me.

“No,” I told him. “Nothing.”

It was obviously nothing. It was nothing to Shane anyway.