Smile

Chance

Liam walked down the deserted street, kicking an empty beer can along the cement and gazing off into the distance. The setting sun was at his back, giving his dark hair a deep glow and his eyes a sharp radiance that could penetrate the heart of the most red-blooded man. A warm breeze swept a stray lock of hair over his eyes, and he brushed it aside lightly. Leaves crackled beneath his feet. Somewhere far off, a bird sang its' song from the high branches of a tree.

He was suspended in a memory of earlier that day, hardly aware of his surroundings and without a care or a doubt in the world. His heart beat a swelling rhythm against in his ribs. It felt as though it would burst forth from chest at any moment; so hard was it to contain his euphoria, he had to bite his lip and hug himself tightly, keeping himself from laughing out loud or jumping for the sheer joy of it. He might have been walking on a cushion of clouds.

In his pocket, a cell phone vibrated. He was jerked out of his reverie, and pulled his phone out to see who was calling him. A smile of perfect bliss spread across his features, and he remembered once again ...

Selena ...

The hallways were crowded with students hurrying to get to the cafeteria. Liam let himself be shunted along by the sea of shoulders pressing in on him, not caring where he ended up.

He felt another bump, and heard a small 'Ouch!' He looked back, ready to apologize - but, when he saw her, the words died in his throat.

"Oh ... er ... I'm ..." he said awkwardly, turning and trying to resist the steady flow of bodies.

There she was: Selena Masterson, the girl he'd longed for since he first set eyes on her soft copper hair and her brilliantly blue eyes. She grinned up at him and shook her head slightly, picking up her spilled books and pens.

"It's okay, really," she assured him, now struggling to get to her feet amidst the swarm of people that kept inadvertently pushing her down. He reached out to help her up, and she took his hand. His heart leapt into his throat at her merest touch.

"You're Liam Atlas, right?"

He flushed, surprised that she knew his name. The two of them had never spoken beyond the word 'Hello,' in all their years going to the same school. He nodded wordlessly, unable to bring himself to reply for fear of tripping over his words.

"I remember seeing you around a lot," she went on. "I always meant to talk to you, but somehow the opportunity never came up ..."

Liam was shocked into responding, "You ... you wanted to talk to me? Why?" He winced at his choice of words, but looked at her intently, waiting for her answer.

"Well ..." she said slowly, looking around the hall - at other students, at the ceiling, at the lockers, but never at him. "You just seemed like the kind of person I'd like to talk to."

"Well, er," he said, fighting not to blunder and ruin his chance, "We could have lunch together. That would give us a chance to talk."

Her eyes finally found his, and he found himself frozen in place. A smile suddenly lit up her features, bringing a sparkle to her eye. Liam felt a radiant joy emanating from her, and he returned it in kind, unable to tear his gaze from her beautiful smile.


He pressed 'Talk' on his phone and put it to his ear, continuing his walk down the street, a contented smile on his face.

"Hi, Selena ..." he said. "Of course! I'd love come over ..." Just to see you smile again ...
♠ ♠ ♠
Not much - just a quick entry. Con/crit welcome.