Taking Over Me

The Difference Between Dreams and Reality

May 18th 1536 Whitehall

“What do you mean the executioner is late?” Henry roared at the Lord Privy Seal Thomas Cromwell, “God Cromwell you’ve been really disappointing me lately, first you tell me it’s too late to annul the marriage Jane Seymour and his Grace the Duke of Suffolk because she’s with child so there went my chance for happiness, then you get me Anne of Cleves who I believed to be beautiful and turned out to be a HORSE and I am marrying her against my will to save the country…now you tell me THE EXECUTIONER’S LATE! I TOLD YOU I DIDN’T CARE IF SHE WAS BURNED I WANT HER DEAD!”

Henry knew god was not looking into his favor lately. His wife Anne Boleyn whom he moved heaven and earth for, turned out to be an adulterer and sentenced to die. She was to join her four lovers Francis Weston, Henry Norris, William Brenton and Mark Smeaton. Her father was supposed to join the group but committed suicide the night he was sentenced to die. George Boleyn was close to the axe by the skin of his teeth when he was accused of bedding his sister but that crazy whore Jane Parker recanted her statement after finding out she was pregnant. Most likely she was going to take his place once the baby was born. Henry let that slide, mainly because he found George to be no threat without Papa Boleyn. But due to the circumstances that came to light Henry felt HUMILIATED!

Then there was Jane Seymour. When Henry met Jane she was engaged to marry the Duke of Suffolk Charles Brandon. As much as Henry fought it for Charles (being his best friend and affectionately called his prince) he was SMITTEN with her. Why he hadn’t felt this intense feelings for a woman since Anne! Jane did kiss him just to make him happy and even told him if for some reason Jane and Charles’ engagement broke she would go to Henry. But just when Henry decided he wanted a new bride she and Charles were married. Fortunes did look to Henry’s favor when rumors of an unconsummated marriage spread around court. Henry waited and waited for news for an annulment but then just as quickly as the rumors swirled about the intimate affairs between the Duke and Duchess of Suffolk, confirmed news of Jane’s pregnancy reached his ears and there went his chance to start over fresh.

So in March of that year Henry secretly and franticly searched for a new bride because he desperately needed an heir. He left it to Cromwell, Henry’s chief minister….big mistake. The King regretted not choosing his second time Chancellor Sir Thomas Moore for the job, at least he would have found a decent Catholic Princess to be Henry’s next Queen and fix this mess. BUT NO! The man was busy engineering the fall of the Boleyns (which Henry knew to be vengeance for himself after almost being executed himself and Bishop Fisher, the nosy bastard who was the second person Henry was glad to be rid of and then above all for Moore’s beloved Katherine). So Henry had no choice but to leave it to Cromwell.

Of course almost immediately Cromwell found a German Lutheran Princess named Anne of Cleves (already Henry knew this was bad because it was a SECOND Anne). Of course Henry was skeptical because his previous Queen, being a protestant herself, but after Cromwell reminded him of the hostility of the Catholic countries around him and seeing her portrait, Henry was at ease.

He was engaged to wed her before they thought of arresting oblivious Anne.

Henry was really excited to meet the German Princess. He spent hours looking at her portrait. And then on May 3rd two days after Anne Boleyn was arrested for treason Anne of Cleves arrived to England. Henry was so excited to meet his future bride he went to visit her unannounced. The King had the shock of his life, Anne of Cleves was there all right, but was FAR from what her portrait depicted her to be.

It was obviously too late to break off the engagement so Henry was destined to be stuck with a HORSE for the rest of his life.

Now this, Anne’s executioner whom Henry specially hired from France was a day late! And poor Cromwell had to be in the room when Henry finally snapped. The Lord Privy Seal then found himself against the wall with a dagger to his throat.

Cromwell gulped.

“I am telling you now Mr. Cromwell,” Henry scowled now tipping the dagger under his advisor’s chin, “IF THAT WITCH ISN’T DEAD BY THE END OF TOMORROW MORNING I SWEAR BY GOD’S BLOOD YOU WILL-“

Before Henry could continue ranting and raving he felt a soft hand touch his shoulder and a soft familiar voice with an accent said:

“Henry dear, put him down, do not blame Mr. Cromwell for this.”

Henry dropped the dumbfounded Lord Privy Seal to the ground and turned around to face the voice. The King’s eyes widened it was the last person he expected to see…his former wife Katherine of Aragon the Infanta of Spain. Henry was in such shock that Katherine was in the office that he didn’t even notice Cromwell scurrying out of the room.

Henry sighed in put his dagger in his pocket, last thing he needed, Katherine telling him that she was right all along. Anne Boleyn was bad news.

“Katherine what a surprise, I bet you are here to rub it in my face that you were right about Anne all along.”

Katherine shook her head and gave him a reassuring smile.

She’s smiling at me! Henry thought, she hasn’t smiled at me like that since I divorced her.

She then placed her hands into his own lovingly rubbing the outer palms with her thumbs. Henry all these years had forgotten Katherine’s kindness and tenderness. He looked into her eyes and suddenly felt warmth that she was concerned for his well being rather than enjoying her enemy’s downfall. He didn’t know why but he felt himself falling in love with her again.

“No Henry dear Thomas told me how distressed you were with Anne’s sentence in all, but I hope with this new beginning we can place everything that has happened between us behind. Though we are no longer husband and wife I still care for your well being. I would stay longer but Thomas and I have a long journey home but I will be here tomorrow if you need me at any point in the day just to talk my door is open.”

Katherine then gave him a quick greeting kiss on the lips before letting go of his hands. Henry without saying a word reluctantly let go of his former wife’s hands. He said nothing as Katherine curtsied and walked out the door. It was only after Katherine was gone when Henry smiled and said the words:

“She still loves me.”

The king sat down at his desk and started writing a poem on a piece of Parchment.

If love now reigned as it hath been….*

Later that Night at The Moore Estate In Chelsea:

It was no wonder it stormed the night before Anne Boleyn’s execution the angels must had been rejoicing. The thunder roared like a cannon and the lightning flashed across the sky like fireworks. Sir Thomas Moore knew after he should be celebrating tonight because the fall of the Boleyns (excluding Mary and George) would be official. But he wasn’t he was sad and mournful.

Mainly because it reminded him the night before another execution. An Execution Sir Thomas Moore tried all his might but failed to…

June 21st 1535 The Tower of London:

Sir Thomas Moore knew as much as this would upset the king, it was something he had to do. He dressed up in a dark hooded cloak drenched from the rain. It was a perfect mood to set the scene Sir Thomas always believed. The tower was cold and he shivered from being wet the only illumination was the fire light leading him down the tower halls.

“He must be good enough of a friend Your Grace,” Master Kingston who was with him said breaking the long silence, “To come and bring comfort to a friend who is meeting god tomorrow.”

If only Master Kingston knew the real reason for the Lord Chancellor’s visit. Sir Thomas just bowed his head in acknowledgement but he was silent, silent as a sign of mourning. With the exception to his visit he was not going speak until sunset the next day, his family respected his wish but other’s like the King would probably yell at him for being silent. But he didn’t care.

“He is in here,” Master Kingston said again putting the key in the lock, “due to the circumstances tomorrow you have a limit to a half an hour for your visit. Oh I need to make sure you don’t have any weapons so you need to reveal any items you are carrying.”

Silently without any objections, Sir Thomas reached into one pocket to reveal nothing and then the other to pull out two rosaries. Master Kingston gave a nod and opened the door and called inside:

“Your eminence you have a visitor.”

Sir Thomas walked into the cold jail cell slowly pulling off the hood from his head. He grabbed his forearms shivering in the cold as Master Kingston closed the door behind him. There were tear tracks glistening in the moonlight. Sir Thomas didn’t want to break down yet.

“John,” He finally choked out.

His old and dearest friend Bishop Fisher who was staring out the window turned around to face Sir Thomas.

“You didn’t have to come here,” The old bishop replied, “but I must be blessed to have a friend come to comfort me in my final hours.”

Sir Thomas Moore was usually stronger when it came to emotions but the moment he was reminded that this was a final visit with his dear friend, he couldn’t hold it. As the thunder crashed like a cannon outside the tower walls the humanist started to weep. The sorrow on his face was more visible when the lightning flashed illuminating the room.

Bishop Fisher walked over to the lawyer and placed his hands on his shoulders. Sir Thomas started to weep harder.

“Oh Sir Thomas,” Fisher said sincerely, “Do not weep for me, tomorrow is a joyful day for tomorrow I shall join god in a better world.”

Sir Thomas looked to floor and sniffed. He had to admire the other man’s courage for being calm and content to his fate. Though the tears that fell down the humanist’s eyes were for sorrow that his friend was to die tomorrow, they also fell for guilt. Sir Thomas reluctantly signed the Oath of Supremacy (the reason Fisher was dying) because Katherine begged him for his young daughter. But he disagreed with that damn piece of paper. He should have been dying as well but he wasn’t.

There was another reason, he failed to save his friend and the pain was just too much to bear.

“But I couldn’t convince Harry to pardon you,” Sir Thomas choked through his tears, “and I just feel guilty that I gave into signing that Oath when I don’t agree with it I should be dying with you.”

Fisher grabbed Sir Thomas’ forearms and rubbed them reassuringly.

“My old friend God decided to keep you on earth for a reason, while my fight may be ending yours has just begun, you are the King’s most trusted advisor, he will listen to you when the time comes and he regrets his decision you will help guide England back to its true faith.”

The old cardinal’s hands returned to the lawyer’s shoulder. Sir Thomas lifted his head to look up into his friend’s eyes.

“I have no final gifts to give to you,” Fisher said, “so I would like to give you one final blessing.”

Fisher gestured Thomas to kneel. The humanist obeyed crossing himself in the process. His eyes were closed and his hands clasped in prayer at his chest. Thomas once again hands resting on his shoulders.

“First Sir Thomas,” He heard his old friend say again, “may I say that I was honored and blessed to have you as a friend. You have always shown support to me in my times of need, may your friendliness be with you to the end winning you more friends and even some of your enemies. May your family be blessed, your children be fruitful and your marriage give you even more joy than it has given you in the past. But above all I have one last prayer, may god give you strength to fight for what is good. Use your wit when you face danger and above all let no one take away your strength now go friend and make things right again…”


Sir Thomas scarcely remembered the end of the visit. He just remembered giving his old friend the rosary and leaving. But that’s not what haunted him so. It was the execution he was forced by the king to attend.

He squeezed the bridge of his nose. He would not let himself weep. Tonight was a victory and a joyous occasion then why should he weep?

“Mi Amor.” He heard a voice say.

Thomas jumped in fright holding his heart. Taking a few breaths, he looked up to see that it was Katherine looking down at him with such concern. She sat next to him on the window sill and gave him a soft kiss on the lips.

“I am sorry,” Thomas said with a nervous chuckle, “you gave me a fright.”

Katherine crawled into Thomas’ lap and laid her head on his shoulder. Thomas shivered feeling her warm breath against his neck and wrapped his arms around her pulling her close.

“You seem sad Mi Amor tomorrow is a victory for the Catholic faction.”

Thomas sadly sighed and rested his chin on Katherine’s head.

“Just the rain the night before that whore’s execution, reminds me the night before poor Bishop Fisher died, I wish I didn’t have to go tomorrow I asked Harry if he would allow you to go with me like you did with Bishop Fisher but unfortunately he thought it would not be wise…knowing the bitterness you still have for Anne it’s enough that the Duke of Suffolk is taking Jane.”

Katherine fantasized that if she went to the execution she would have been front and center. She would have made sure she was the last thing Anne saw before she was blindfolded. She would have even cheered the moment the sword sliced her neck. But being the dignified woman she was it was not in her character to indulge in such violence.

Instead she had a different plan. She would bring her daughter to court to comfort her father. This way it would let the King know he was loved.

As for Thomas’ pain about Bishop Fisher, Katherine understood. The two of them were such good friends. It was Bishop Fisher who married off all of Thomas’ children (with the exception of Thomas and Katherine’s young daughter Eleanor whom Bishop Fisher baptized) and baptized their children as well. He even ran hers and Thomas’ wedding service (despite the fact it frustrated him that Katherine would marry another after all she fought for). Often, besides the King, Bishop Fisher was over for dinner.

When Bishop Fisher was executed over the oath it destroyed Thomas, especially since he was not going sign it as well had it not been for Katherine reminding him that their 2 year old daughter needed her father. Thomas spent days bedridden from the guilt and Katherine would be at his side holding him close comforting him.

This was why she loved Thomas much more than Henry, his fragility and his ability to understand pain.

Katherine lifted her head and kissed her husband on the lips.

“Mi Amor it’s still troubling you? I know it’s hard but think of it this way Bishop Fisher’s up in the heavens tonight celebrating that his blood is finally being avenged.”

The thought made a smile curl upon Thomas’ lips. This is why he loved her, Katherine cared about him. His pain was her pain and vice versa. He leaned in to kiss her again.

“This is why you are so special to me you make me happy even on a dark gloomy rainy night like this.”

Katherine kissed him once again and then got off his lap to stand taking both of his hands into his own.

“To bed mi amor?”

Thomas chuckled and rose to his feet as well. Moments later he lifted her into his arms bridal style. Katherine quickly wrapped her arms around his neck.

“I thought you would never ask.”

He gave Katherine a seductive wink causing the former Queen to chuckle. And with that Thomas carried her up the stairs to their marriage bed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas woke up early that night morning. The sun shined through the bedroom windows. What perfect weather to mark the dawn of a new era. He stretched and yawned knowing Katherine was waiting for him to have breakfast. He got out of bed still naked from the night before after he made love with Katherine. He grabbed his black dressing robe and wrapped it around his body tying the sash securely tight around his waist.

He walked out of the room and down the stairs. His eyes fixated on Katherine. She was only wearing his chemise. Her long dark hair tied in a low pony tail. Her eyes seemed to fixated on a piece of parchment.

That was strange; Thomas and Katherine never received letters to their home, only at court. He thought nothing of it.

The humanist walked behind his bride and wrapped his arms around her neck and kissed her on the cheek. Katherine smiled.

“Why good morning sweetheart,” Thomas said kissing her on the cheek again, “doing some early morning reading?”

Katherine turned her head and kissed him on the lips.

“Why yes Mi Amor,” she said, “I am reading the lovely poem you wrote me last night.”

Thomas looked at her for a moment confused. He did write Katherine plenty of poems in his day, but the night before he certainly did not. He scanned the parchment for a moment. The handwriting was close to his but not exactly. It seemed familiar but he could not put his finger on it.

“I didn’t write you a poem last night dear, I had the best sleep I had in a while it couldn’t have happened then.”

Katherine looked at him confused. Thomas would never lie to her. Looking at the parchment again she realized it was not her beloved’s handwriting.

“Oh dear, you are right Mi Amor, this isn’t your handwriting. But wait if you didn’t write this poem who did?”

May 30th 1537 Cellar of Kimbelton Castle

“So that poem Katherine received the morning of May 19th was from you?” Thomas said appalled writhing confidently through his bindings as that memory flashed through his head, “Never mind that is beside the point, what Katherine did that afternoon was comfort you in your time of need not profess her love. She doesn’t love you anymore get over it majesty. ”

The two men stared at each other once again in such scorn. Henry rose from his seat and brought himself eye length with his mentor and grabbed him by the hair. The humanist winced but still kept his cold dark stare.

“How many times have I told you first of all to call me Harry?” Henry said again.

Thomas growled.

“For the monster you are you are undeserving of that name.”

Henry laughed again gripping his fingers tighter in his hair.

“Typical that you are trying to break me with your words and denying the truth, but I need to finish my story. Then you will believe me like the obedient servant you claim to be and realize Katherine BELONGS to me”

Thomas spat in the King’s face. He didn’t care if it was treason, he was really annoyed.

“Fuck you!”

Henry released his fingers from Thomas’ hair and wiped his face. He took the silk scarf that was lying loosely around Thomas’ neck and brought it to his mouth.

“Now that’s not very nice, nor polite, a man as pious as you should know that,” Henry said as he secured the silk gag in its place once again. The other man winced since some of his hair got caught in the knot. “If you behave I shall remove it.”

Thomas made a muffled groan in anger and frustration, but kept his dark gaze at the king. Henry took his spot back in the comfortable chair.

“Now you still don’t believe me,” Henry said folding his hands in front of him, “I didn’t finish my story, I bet by the time I finish you will believe me then.”

And Thomas groaned leaning his body against the chair as more lies were thrown at him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Few historical notes:

-Though in history Moore refused to sign the oath of surpremacy and was historically executed in 1535 along with Bishop Fisher for it Moore in this story signed the oath due to his married status to Katherine of Aragon. Also Katherine died months after Moore's beheading
-Anne of Cleaves was Henry's Fourth wife after Jane Seymour Henry's Third wife died after giving birth to Henry's son however to add dramatic lisence to this story Jane is married to Charles Brandon Henry's best friend and the Duke of Suffolk an AOC is Henry's third wife
-It is mentioned that George Boleyn is spared from Execution whilst his father comitted suicide historically George was executed along with his sister whilst the father was disgraced from court
-Jane Parker Boleyn is mentioned as pregnant with George's child and therefore recanted her statement that convicted George well we all know Jane's true story and it is speculated whether or not Jane and George still have a child

Story Notes
-The characters mentioned in the story's appereances are based off the characters of the Tudors with the exception of Anne of Cleaves. I am basing Anne of Cleaves appearence on Mike Dirnt's wife Brittney Cade
-The full text of the poem written by Henry VIII can be found here

If you have any questions please leave it in the comments. Con Crit for cookies!